any boy know any motorcycle rental places with insurance

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
hello every one im going to sosua july 13 for two weeks and was wondering were can i find the cheapest motorbike rental with insurance on it. i hate to take a chance and mess the bike up and pay for it like my past friends did

FritoBandito

Bronze
Dec 19, 2009
hello every one im going to sosua july 13 for two weeks and was wondering were can i find the cheapest motorbike rental with insurance on it. i hate to take a chance and mess the bike up and pay for it like my past friends did

There's a place across from Terra Linda Hotel that rents anything from a passola to a Harley....I've never rented there myself though.

I've heard that you have to have something like a debit card or credit card with at least a $10,000 limit or more on it.....

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
go to the paintball place between sosua and cabarete, right next door to kiosko bar/restaurant. The son of the owner told me they rent out cbr 600 or GSX-R 750 for 100$ a day, including full insurance.

They have 4 of them (2 of each one). If they are not there ask Johnny at Kiosko how to contact them.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
I've heard that you have to have something like a debit card or credit card with at least a $10,000 limit or more on it.....
The $10,000 is because there is no insurance in the DR that pays for theft of collision damage in the DR. The definition of "full insurance" here is NOT the same as what "full" means in NA or Europe.

So YOU will pay for either of those possibilities because no insurance company will, thus the hefty deposit.

I base the facts on over three years of owning 11 "large" motorcycles and getting quotes from EVERY registered Dominican insurance company that insures autos and motos.

If you find someone who claioms they have "full" coverage on a large motorcycle, get an actual copy of the policy and see what it says yourself.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
The $10,000 is because there is no insurance in the DR that pays for theft of collision damage in the DR. The definition of "full insurance" here is NOT the same as what "full" means in NA or Europe. So YOU will pay for either of those possibilities because no insurance company will, thus the hefty deposit. I base the facts on over three years of owning 11 "large" motorcycles and getting quotes from EVERY registered Dominican insurance company that insures autos and motos. If you find someone who claioms they have "full" coverage on a large motorcycle, get an actual copy of the policy and see what it says yourself.
so what are your bikes covered for?

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
go to the paintball place between sosua and cabarete, right next door to kiosko bar/restaurant. The son of the owner told me they rent out cbr 600 or GSX-R 750 for 100$ a day, including full insurance.

They have 4 of them (2 of each one). If they are not there ask Johnny at Kiosko how to contact them.

mmmMMM...that remembers me of my baby I had to sell because of lack of time to ride it :(

CBR600.jpg

But I had fun enough afterwards sitting at the back of THIS beauty :classic:

DSCN0146.jpg

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
oh my god... I loved those 2 bikes...

The CBR was the perfect toy... it whipped around corners like a bicycle...

The VFR was the ultimate combination of sports/touring bike, especially with the special exhaust system I had installed

Honda is the best brand of motorcycle.... by far...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
so what are your bikes covered for?
Damage to other persons and property as required by the Ministry of Tourism. Damage tothe rider and bike are not covered, and theft of the bikes are not covered.

However, we steer clients to an excellent travel health insurance policy.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Sounds like it could get costly for you or do you take deposit to cover your own ass from scratches n dints. Tell me, is it that an insurance policy doesn't exist or it is so expensive it might as well not exist?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Sounds like it could get costly for you or do you take deposit to cover your own ass from scratches n dints. Tell me, is it that an insurance policy doesn't exist or it is so expensive it might as well not exist?
We take damage deposits. But we also, to a greater extent, mitigate possible liability with ~how~ we conduct tours and by adding crash bars and frame sliders tothe bikes. Additionaly, we try to weed out inexperienced riders. Although a world-class riding environment as has been documented here, the DR is no place for a naive First World rook to learn how to tour on a motorcycle.

It all works. Plus, I am set up as a Suzuki parts non-resell wholesaler, and have similar relationships with mutliple lines, like tires, tools and accessories. So I can get all the parts I need inexpensively, even OEM parts, and we do most of our work ourselves. I have a good Dominican paint and body guy that happily works for Dominican prevailing shop wages, so the biikes always look good. So even a bad crack-up (none, really, to this point save one that Hillbilly will remember early on) are not really costly, maybe a foot peg, a broken brake or clutch lever and some body rash. All easily and fairly inexpensively repaired. Keep in mind the V-Strom is built to take a lot of abuse by the very nature of being a dual-sport machine.

But you're right. We had one French-based company, part of a large DR bank network, quote rates so high...5 times higher than in FL... I thought they misplaced a comma and decimal point. And they admitted thay had never quoted for large motorcycles before as a matter of policy. AND it included a monster deductible.

Hillbilly early on scouted for insurance for us. He will remember the blank faces he got when inquiring about First World-type insurance for large motorcycles. And HE has some serious connections...

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Cobraboy et al., I'm sick of renting cars to hop around Sosua/Cabarete. I'd like to buy a scootor to keep locked up in the house when I'm not in country. I don't have/want residency and don't ever overstay visa time. What are your thoughts on where to buy and the ever important insurance issue?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Cobraboy et al., I'm sick of renting cars to hop around Sosua/Cabarete. I'd like to buy a scootor to keep locked up in the house when I'm not in country. I don't have/want residency and don't ever overstay visa time. What are your thoughts on where to buy and the ever important insurance issue?
You can buy insurance many places. But the bigger issue is whether somebody is watching your bike inside while you're away, and will someone be cranking it up and riding it for a mile or two every month. Machines begin to break when not used.

A bike in an unoccupied dwelling would attract the wrong element, IMO...

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
It would be in the back of the house and looked after. Not visible to thieves and way too many people around our house for any trouble. Always someone around but I won't let them use it often or like all things it gets broken. Just one of the non rum drinking brother in laws to keep it up.

fjw

Oct 11, 2010
Is it possible to Rent a 650 V strom on the north coast by the month??

Is it possible to Rent a 650 V storm on the north coast by the month?? I would look at any 4 stroke 250cc to 650cc as I ride with wife on back. We stay in Cabarete at Ocean Dream.
If so what is the rate w/ insurance and where are you located and contact info.
Currently riding GL 1800, but have owned Yamaha 1100, Kawasaki 900. Honda 250.

Cheers Frank Wilman

We take damage deposits. But we also, to a greater extent, mitigate possible liability with ~how~ we conduct tours and by adding crash bars and frame sliders tothe bikes. Additionaly, we try to weed out inexperienced riders. Although a world-class riding environment as has been documented here, the DR is no place for a naive First World rook to learn how to tour on a motorcycle.

It all works. Plus, I am set up as a Suzuki parts non-resell wholesaler, and have similar relationships with mutliple lines, like tires, tools and accessories. So I can get all the parts I need inexpensively, even OEM parts, and we do most of our work ourselves. I have a good Dominican paint and body guy that happily works for

Dominican prevailing shop wages, so the biikes always look good. So even a bad crack-up (none, really, to this point save one that Hillbilly will remember early on) are not really costly, maybe a foot peg, a broken brake or clutch lever and some body rash. All easily and fairly inexpensively repaired. Keep in mind the V-Strom is built to take a lot of abuse by the very nature of being a dual-sport machine.

But you're right. We had one French-based company, part of a large DR bank network, quote rates so high...5 times higher than in FL... I thought they misplaced a comma and decimal point. And they admitted thay had never quoted for large motorcycles before as a matter of policy. AND it included a monster deductible.

Hillbilly early on scouted for insurance for us. He will remember the blank faces he got when inquiring about First World-type insurance for large motorcycles. And HE has some serious connections...

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Is it possible to Rent a 650 V storm on the north coast by the month?? I would look at any 4 stroke 250cc to 650cc as I ride with wife on back. We stay in Cabarete at Ocean Dream.
If so what is the rate w/ insurance and where are you located and contact info.
Currently riding GL 1800, but have owned Yamaha 1100, Kawasaki 900. Honda 250.

Cheers Frank Wilman
Frank, we don't rent motorcycles. And you won't find any rental motorcycles with actual insurance on them. They may ~say~ they have insurance, but you'll be in fior a real shocker if you actually need to file a claim...