Survey On "Red Light District" For Sosua

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
From Sosua-News:

"Under the auspices of the Mayor Ilana Neumann and the Vice Minister for Tourism, C?sar Jos? de Los Santos, all owners of bars and restaurants received a survey form. In this form, the entrepreneurs are asked what they would think of a 'red light district'. A zone where prostitutes could exercise their profession. The rest of Sos?a is then prohibited area 24 hours a day for these ladies. The entrepreneurs can respond with 'good', 'acceptable', 'bad' or 'unacceptable'. This survey was presented a few days before the raid on Friday night to the entrepreneurs. Many business owners have decided not to answer the questionnaire because they can not fill in the form anonymous. The entrepreneurs have to write their names on the form. What will happen if you fill in 'unacceptable'? "

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Wow !!.

It looks they have already decided to change Sosua, but are also aware of the fact that prostitution plays a major role in the Sosua economy.

Typical of politicians. They ruin everything they get near .... especially small and medium sized businesses which make up the real economy.

They will not stop until they destroy the place and make it impossible for small and medium entreprenuers, vendors, the girls, pharmacies, markets, etc to survive.

I envision a disaster.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
More Big Government nonsense.

1. Who will monitor and regulate this "District" ??? and much will that cost ??
2.How will it be determined if a girl is plying her trade outside of said district ??
3. What will be the penalties and who will enforce it ???
And most important....How much will the enforcement apparatus cost and where will the money come from to fund it ???

Let guess: more taxes .... on the regular folk, small businesses, and entrepreneurs.
And, what about the increase in official corruption that will inevitably result from this new district ???

These politicians are so f*ck*ng stupid its almost unbelievable.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
Well, at least this answers the "why" many have pondered.

It's clear the city gubmint (and most likely higher)seethe sex trade in Sosua as a problem.

Progress.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
What is a red light district ??
Who will enforce it ??
What about the girls who ply a trade in a free market, but don't want to stand around all day in a designated area ??
What about the men who prefer to go to a bar and have the freedom to purchase company without being forced to go into a particular district?
Suppose a girl walks out of the designated area and talks to a guy outside of the area ... is she and he now liable for breaking the law ?? will they have to build a new Prostitution Court : to hand out fines ??
Who will pay for the new need for cops and judges and administrators to enforce this district ?? Who will pay for the salaries of this new Court.

Why can't people be left alone ?? This is some one using the oppressive apparatus of Government to control individuals because they find the idea of men willing to pay for sex and women willing to sell it distasteful.

Big Government moralizing at its worst. This is the start of tyranny. Leave people alone.

The only thing that will happen is that corruption will increase, small business and entrepreneurs will be driven away, and the opportunity for gangs and pimps will present itself.
No one benefits from this drive. Leave the market alone.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Big Government moralizing at its worst. This is the start of tyranny. Leave people alone.
Really?

Designating a sex tourist area is the start of tyrrany?

Wow.

kdolo, you sound ~emotionally~ invested in easy access to hookers. Why is that?

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
What is wrong with concentrating the redlight activities in a redlight district?

Nothing, as far as I am concerned. That is how it was many years ago when I spent 3+ years with the USAF in Panama. You went to the bars and then you went to the girls.

Those who come here for sex cam have all the sex they want. If bars not allowed in the red light area, the present bars and restaurants will still have their clients. If bars are allowed, the present bar owners should, and undoubtedly would, be the first in line to put a branch-bar there. The taxi drivers will have more than one client every other day, there will be work for the locals as prostitutes and support personnel, and it will be easier for the government to check on the health of the girls.

But it is a change from what we have at present, so there will be a lot of bitches by the same people who were bitching because the town seemed, to them, to be putting the prostitutes out of business.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Well, at least this answers the "why" many have pondered.

It's clear the city gubmint (and most likely higher)seethe sex trade in Sosua as a problem.

Progress.

The Government sees the sex trade as a problem and you call that progress ?......

You mean you have faith in the opinion of a government that cannot resolve: cholera, dengue, illiteracy, abysmal education standards, public sanitation, clean running water, official corruption, environmental degradation .......

You sir are nothing more than a petty tyrant. You want government to stop the sale of sex ....which all of human history shows can not be done, and want to you the oppressive power of a corrupt and incompetent government to attempt to do so, despite other real and pressing issues that cause real harm.

You live in world of fantasy and not in the world of reality. Prostitution can not be controlled. The only thing that can happen is that you drive it underground, increasing costs and dangers to the providers (young women who you have convinced yourself that you really care about), increasing official corruption...thereby creating the opportunity for gangs/pimps.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
The Government sees the sex trade as a problem and you call that progress ?......

You mean you have faith in the opinion of a government that cannot resolve: cholera, dengue, illiteracy, abysmal education standards, public sanitation, clean running water, official corruption, environmental degradation .......

You sir are nothing more than a petty tyrant. You want government to stop the sale of sex ....which all of human history shows can not be done, and want to you the oppressive power of a corrupt and incompetent government to attempt to do so, despite other real and pressing issues that cause real harm.

You live in world of fantasy and not in the world of reality. Prostitution can not be controlled. The only thing that can happen is that you drive it underground, increasing costs and dangers to the providers (young women who you have convinced yourself that you really care about), increasing official corruption...thereby creating the opportunity for gangs/pimps.
:cheeky:

You got ALL of that from that tiny post? I want gubmint to STOP the sale of sex? :cheeky:

You need to go read some of my posts. Hell, I'm almost an eeeeevil anacharist compared to most on DR1.

I don't see how having to walk an extra couple of blocks to get your hookers equates to a tyrannical gubmint. Besides, most mongers could use the exercise.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Sosua

Really?

Wow.

kdolo, you sound ~emotionally~ invested in easy access to hookers. Why is that?

Really?

Wow.

Government designating a sex tourist area IS the start of tyranny. You people are so naive. Do really think that this is about prostitution ???? or "protecting the women "....

Isn't it interesting that this drive to "clean up Sosua" is heating up as the Dominican debt levels from the IMF and World Bank are exploding. This is about MONEY. Government sees a true free market and now wants its cut. Women who are now freelance entrepreneurs will be forced to "buy" permits, they will have to register in a public database ...most likely. In order to enforce all of this more cops and judges and administrators will have to be hired.

More police and judges and government entering trying to stop an activity that can not be stopped is tyranny. Fines and taxes will be imposed on the women, those who cannot pay will be jailed. The customers will also be at risk ... for unscrupulous police. Leave people be.

Cobraboy, I am not invested in the easy access to hookers. Your comments are proof that you live in a fantasy world.

Access to hookers is easy .......everywhere in the world. Women are always selling sex and men are always willing buyers. Throughout history and will always be the case. Government can not control that : New York, London, Dubai, Tokyo, Rio , Mombasa, so on an so forth.

You really believe that you can prevent prostitution (as if that itself is so evil), that you can make access to it harder, and that there won't be externalities ...... You are a petty tyrant- you want to create a Big Government enforcement apparatus merely enforce what you find as morally distasteful. Furthermore, you don't offer to chip with money to pay for this enforcement and district.....you probably want "society" and "the public" to be taxed to pay for it.

Leave people alone. There is a long list of truly bad things that need to be addressed in Sosua and the DR in order to improve the quality of life...... "easy access" to prostitutes is not one of them. If anything, it may be a symptom of Government incompetence and corruption in other vital areas

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Prostitution won't be stopped. Of course everyone knows that. BUT it can be controlled and there is NOTHING wrong with that when it is done well. Many countries have shown that.

Only those living in total denial want to stop it! But controlling it can be good for everyone!!!!Done right the girls stay protected, earn a decent wage, etc. Done right the clients can have a known price, hopefully stay disease free. Done right the other tourists can have a good time and stay unmolested.

It is easier to police in a given area. It is easier for the customers and the girls. So what is your big problem???? Do you come from a country with no freedom and think you have the right to it here?

We already have corruption, danger etc. So why will controlling it increase that????

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
:cheeky:

You got ALL of that from that tiny post? I want gubmint to STOP the sale of sex? :cheeky:

You need to go read some of my posts. Hell, I'm almost an eeeeevil anacharist compared to most on DR1.

I don't see how having to walk an extra couple of blocks to get your hookers equates to a tyrannical gubmint. Besides, most mongers could use the exercise.

Well thats how it always starts right ...... Free speech zone, a fire arm free zone, a drug free zone, a public protest zone,.....

We've all seen this before in the US right ??? Its always the start of tyranny. All this has to be enforced and all you do is encourage some politician or bureaucrat to expand government power and then tax everyone else to support it.

Leave people be. The alternative will devolve into a kind of tyranny or government over reach. Don't encourage the growth of the beast.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Really?

Wow.

Government designating a sex tourist area IS the start of tyranny. You people are so naive. Do really think that this is about prostitution ???? or "protecting the women "....

Isn't it interesting that this drive to "clean up Sosua" is heating up as the Dominican debt levels from the IMF and World Bank are exploding. This is about MONEY. Government sees a true free market and now wants its cut. Women who are now freelance entrepreneurs will be forced to "buy" permits, they will have to register in a public database ...most likely. In order to enforce all of this more cops and judges and administrators will have to be hired.

More police and judges and government entering trying to stop an activity that can not be stopped is tyranny. Fines and taxes will be imposed on the women, those who cannot pay will be jailed. The customers will also be at risk ... for unscrupulous police. Leave people be.

Cobraboy, I am not invested in the easy access to hookers. Your comments are proof that you live in a fantasy world.

Access to hookers is easy .......everywhere in the world. Women are always selling sex and men are always willing buyers. Throughout history and will always be the case. Government can not control that : New York, London, Dubai, Tokyo, Rio , Mombasa, so on an so forth.

You really believe that you can prevent prostitution (as if that itself is so evil), that you can make access to it harder, and that there won't be externalities ...... You are a petty tyrant- you want to create a Big Government enforcement apparatus merely enforce what you find as morally distasteful. Furthermore, you don't offer to chip with money to pay for this enforcement and district.....you probably want "society" and "the public" to be taxed to pay for it.

Leave people alone. There is a long list of truly bad things that need to be addressed in Sosua and the DR in order to improve the quality of life...... "easy access" to prostitutes is not one of them. If anything, it may be a symptom of Government incompetence and corruption in other vital areas

Good grief. Your frantic post leaves one to wonder if you have a string of girls and are afraid putting them in a red-light district will cut off that source of income.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I like the idea of giving the decision to the people that count. On the other hand, the poll would only ever be fixed, and at best if it wasn't, to form red light zone you need a people who understand compromise. Even more, sosua is small, to put all class of girl in one small area, uglies with beauties, young with old, haitian with doms, cheap with expensive etcetc would create absolute mayhem and without doubt, violence, drug death and underbelly warzones. The absolute end of sosua.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Prostitution won't be stopped. Of course everyone knows that. BUT it can be controlled and there is NOTHING wrong with that when it is done well. Many countries have shown that.

Only those living in total denial want to stop it! But controlling it can be good for everyone!!!!Done right the girls stay protected, earn a decent wage, etc. Done right the clients can have a known price, hopefully stay disease free. Done right the other tourists can have a good time and stay unmolested.

It is easier to police in a given area. It is easier for the customers and the girls. So what is your big problem???? Do you come from a country with no freedom and think you have the right to it here?

We already have corruption, danger etc. So why will controlling it increase that????

Prostitution can not be controlled. At the end of the day, it is a private transaction between man and woman.
Furthermore, for a country that cannot eliminate illiteracy, cholera, dengue, chronic high unemployment, environmental degradation, lack of clean running water, you now expect them to "control" prostitution and to do it well ?????

For all your talk of control (I as I suspected most of you are petty tyrants), Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ???

Who says the girls need anyone to protect them ?? From what I see they do a pretty damn good job of it themselves. They typically move around in groups of two or more, they appear to have an informal communications network that boggles the mind - they know when new guys come into town, which guy goes with which girl, even who did what with whom and how much they paid.

A decent wage ? The market sets the wage. No government bureaucrat needed.

A known price and disease free ?? The client pays what he is willing to pay and can negotiate: it called the free market. Disease free: each person is responsible for his own safety. See .....no bureaucrats and politicians needed.

Fine, tourists have a right not to be molested, but doing that does not require a red light district. And what exactly molests the other tourists ?.....is it the sight of hot young women having sex with ofter much older guys for money

It is not easier to police a given area. What happens when the activity happens in areas that are not policed ??? Why, by gos you'll just have to expand the police presence...right ?? As I said, the start of tyranny.

Look at the words you keep using: Control, Police, Controlling can be good for everyone, Protected ..... you are a petty tyrant. Trying to mask your desire for arbitrary control over other people and markets and what they do with whom because it may offend your morality by invoking Big Government "to help".

I come from a country whose freedoms are quickly being eroded due to people like you who think that every little issue that disturbs you should be solved by Big Government snooping itself into peoples private lives: its called the USA.

DMV123

Bronze
Mar 31, 2010
Prostitution can not be controlled. At the end of the day, it is a private transaction between man and woman. BULL**** - YOU CAN ARGUE THAT FOR DRUGS - DOES NOT MAKE YOU CORRECT. OTHER COUNTRIES HAVE AND DO CONTROL IT
Furthermore, for a country that cannot eliminate illiteracy, cholera, dengue, chronic high unemployment, environmental degradation, lack of clean running water, you now expect them to "control" prostitution and to do it well ?????
NEVER SAID THEY WOULD DO A GOOD JOB OF IT.
For all your talk of control (I as I suspected most of you are petty tyrants), Quis custodiet ipsos custodes ???
NOT GOING THERE.
Who says the girls need anyone to protect them ?? From what I see they do a pretty damn good job of it themselves. They typically move around in groups of two or more, they appear to have an informal communications network that boggles the mind - they know when new guys come into town, which guy goes with which girl, even who did what with whom and how much they paid.
IT IS A DANGEROUS BUSINESS - TO SUGGEST OTHERWISE SHOWS YOUR BIAS AND IGNORANCE. THEY WILL RIP ANYONE OFF GIVEN HALF A CHANCE TOO.
A decent wage ? The market sets the wage. No government bureaucrat needed.
I DISAGREE, RANGES NEED TO BE SET SO THEY GET A DECENT LIVING IF THEY ARE GOING TO DO THIS.
A known price and disease free ?? The client pays what he is willing to pay and can negotiate: it called the free market. Disease free: each person is responsible for his own safety. See .....no bureaucrats and politicians needed.
BULL**** AGAIN. I KNOW GIRLS OUT ON THE STREETS PLYING THEIR TRADE AND THEY HAVE AIDS. HOW DOES THAT HELP THIS COUNTRY OR ANY OTHER COUNTRY!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Fine, tourists have a right not to be molested, but doing that does not require a red light district. And what exactly molests the other tourists ?.....is it the sight of hot young women having sex with ofter much older guys for money
I HAVE WALKED THOSE STREETS WITH FRIENDS IN THE EVENING AND BEEN MOLESTED BOTHERED AND HARRASSED AND I AM FEMALE. DO NOT TELL ME IT DOES NOT GO ON BECAUSE IT DOES. IT IS NOT COMFORTABLE FOR ANYONE BUT GUYS CHASING GIRLS. I DO NOT JUDGE THAT UNTIL IT EFFECTS ME.
It is not easier to police a given area. What happens when the activity happens in areas that are not policed ??? Why, by gos you'll just have to expand the police presence...right ?? As I said, the start of tyranny.
I DON'T HAVE ALL THE ANSWERS BUT I KNOW IT WORKS IN OTHER COUNTRIES.
Look at the words you keep using: Control, Police, Controlling can be good for everyone, Protected ..... you are a petty tyrant. Trying to mask your desire for arbitrary control over other people and markets and what they do with whom because it may offend your morality by invoking Big Government "to help".
AND YOU CAN KISS MY LITTLE WHITE.............. I DISAGREE WITH YOU BUT THAT DOES NOT MEAN YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO CALL ME NAMES. WHO IS THE TYRANT???
I come from a country whose freedoms are quickly being eroded due to people like you who think that every little issue that disturbs you should be solved by Big Government snooping itself into peoples private lives: its called the USA.

Gee sorry for you that your freedoms are being eroded by a duly elected government! Too bad so sad. that gives you the right to an opinion here and you can exercise it by taking your business elsewhere.

there is more then just your opinion here -others have the right to one as well.I respect your stand but do not agree with it. But don't throw around accusations, it only shows where you are coming from.

Status
Not open for further replies.