Women from samana

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Most women from Samana are dark in color, does not make them bad though.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Samana was established by 2 (I think) boatloads of escaped slaves from the Carolinas.

There is more African blood there and English was spoken.

Can't remember where I got that information..... read up on it somewhere.

Is there an historian in the house.... to support me or slaughter me ??

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Samana

Samana was established by 2 (I think) boatloads of escaped slaves from the Carolinas.

Samana was settled in part by blacks from America - Philadelphia (both free and recently escaped from slavery).

They were invited to Hispaniola at the behest of the Haitian president (Boyer I think) who wanted to augment the numbers of blacks on the island in order to withstand what was an expected a future invasion by the European powers to recapture and re-establish slavery.

He in particular wanted blacks from America because they were literate and had skills that he thought could be useful in the new nation. There were three settlements: Port au Prince, Santo Domingo, Samana. The only one that survived intact is the one in Samana.

To this day, many of the families in Samana have American last names (Johnson, Jones, Phipps, Wilmore, Anderson,Simmons). They retain a distinct culture mainly seen in the cuisine. Some of the elders still speak English - although they are dying out.

Most of people out there are black. As for the women, they are just like all other Dominican women as far as I can tell.
whatever that means.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Yup, thats the gist of what I read..... about the slaves, African and the English language.

I have never ventured over that way..... just to LT.... but I want to see the whales some day.

Nah... they come to Playa Grande and can be seen right from our house...... but Steve Queen is closer to them.
than anybody.
He gets wet from the spray .....

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002

Also freed slaves that didn't want to put up with discrimination settled in Samana too.

I remember reading something about these sttlers and their descents trying to persuade
the US to regrant them their american citizenship rights because they consider themselves
Americans and sons of Americans.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Also freed slaves that didn't want to put up with discrimination settled in Samana too.

I remember reading something about these sttlers and their descents trying to persuade
the US to regrant them their american citizenship rights because they consider themselves
Americans and sons of Americans.

Yes, Boyer granted them land - only on the condition that they cultivate it. Some of these families still have their land to this day.

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Women are women.

when they are good, they are very good. But when bad .....watch out.

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
We need to establish what the OP meant by "good women".

Are they the submissive, compliant sex toys that many male single tourists dream of, who live to make some fat, ugly gringo feel like he's King?

Are they surly, droopy-eyed anemia-suffering slugs slithering around the streets waiting to bore the next gringo with tales of Dominican woe?

Or are they the battle-axe, henpecking bitches who never give it up and will make your life a living hell? (Oops-sorry, that's AFTER they get their visa)...

Inquiring minds want to know.