Presidential candidate PLD

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
As expected, Danilo Medina is the Presidential candidate for the PLD after the convention today. First results show he won with over 60% of the votes. Final figures will be available later.

Matilda

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Now the work begins for him and his party. Dominicans historicly have short memories of politicians. The games played the last time the PRD was in power, are still felt in todays DR economy. I remember when the Peso was over 50 to 1 and bank interests were 35+ %. And, almost nothing was done in infrastructure improvement. However, Hipolito and his protoge Miguel mase out very very well.
It was as if they had named la " roba Gallina " as the treasurer.

sush

Mar 9, 2011
it was so expected, i personally think Danilo M will win the whole thing, he will get the "help" needed from the goverment, not because they want to cheat but because DR can't afford to have Hipolito one more time as president; BUT WHO KNOWS people do have short memory of politicians here.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
My husband read an article a few days ago that claimed there was a 'deal' made - that Dona Margarita would not run for President, but whoever the PLD candidate was would choose her as VP. Time will tell.....

AE

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Don't know much about the first ladies political experience, but i don't think she could be any orse than Joe Biden, and most likely she would be much better for the DR than he is for the US.

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Papa is looking better every day.

I just saw a news article where Leonel was warning whoever would listen that oil prices could reach US300 a barrel and it has become clear that he forgot about his country some time ago and would rather secure his personal future after he leaves office. I hate to say it but this is standard fare here and with the possibility that his wife will be vp I'm sure we can expect more of the same; large entourages and frequent travelling to develop their secure personal futures and also secure more financing to pay for the metro and all that travelling so that one day the DR will default and will be back up to 50 to 1. I understand some say he is going after foreign investment but I would like to know "where". Loans from foreign countries with stipulations that they must hire firms from those countries don't count, sorry.

If Leonel or the PLD or whoever really wanted more foreign investment they would look at the free zones and do what it would take to get the companies back that left in search of greener, re: less labor red tape, pastures.

Here is a simple solution, do a pilot program in one of the free zones that gets rid of the current liquidation that encourages lazy non productive workers and create a pensioned system where after a certain amount of time people are vested and then with time their retirement monies will increase like in other countries. They could still give people a nominal termination amount for those that are let go but I would expect there this would put a stop to the revolving door because what Dominican wouldn't like the thought of having a pension for the rest of their life?

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Don't know much about the first ladies political experience, but i don't think she could be any orse than Joe Biden, and most likely she would be much better for the DR than he is for the US.
AJL , are u familiar with the term " clueless " ? You are clueless my friend Joe Biden has been one of the few honorable politicians in the US government my friend and if you disagree, please produce facts as to your statements. He has been a standup legislator and a decent vice president.

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
I was not questioning his integrity, but he seems to have a perpetual case of foot in mouth disease. His boss finds that it is better for him to say nothing, since that way he cannot screw up much

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
I was not questioning his integrity, but he seems to have a perpetual case of foot in mouth disease. His boss finds that it is better for him to say nothing, since that way he cannot screw up much

You mean like taking credit for others people's work that dates back to his college days?

Jul 4, 2010
Notwithstanding Danilo Medina's unquestionable political capacity, he does not make the grade as presidential candidate. Danilo Medina stutters and has to memorize/read most of his statements. Also, he's too short. These two shortcomings impede Danilo from campaigning in the populist style, kowtowing with people out in the streets and campos. Hipolito Mej?a leaves him far behind in this respect.