AMRATS are hassing tourists again!

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
AMVETS? that's just a bunch of old guys that went to Vietnam that didn't want to join the american legion...................

May 12, 2005
Never had a problem with them or PN in 6 years of traveling to DR. What are you doing to attract their attention?

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Could we get some specific info on this, please? AMET here in Peravia province is usually pretty good, though there could always be a bad one or two in the mix.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
What Papa??? you're mad cause AMET is stopping people for blowing red lights, not wearing seatbelts, not having insurance or drivers license and the motos not having helmets???? wow, the nerve of them trying to enforce the law and make our roads safer.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
i caught a seatbelt ticket before they charge ny prices for it and they took my id and another time they stopped us on the way to santiago we just had to give them a few dollars like a tip so we can go on. every body just need to have a few dollars to give to them

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
Well son, blind, uniformed law and order freaks like you need to get some education before sharpening their pencil. Tourists are stopped only because they are recognized as such. Arrests are made for trumped-up charges or bribes are demanded. Moto conchos, taxis, trucks, SUV's, buses, collectivos, etc. are never stopped even though they violate ALL laws. HAPPY DRIVING !

amparocorp

Bronze
Aug 11, 2002
the trick is in getting whatever COP or AMET (hard to bribe) or military, or customs, or immigration, the true skill is in getting the idiot to accept the smallest bribe possible. i might have one million pesos in my left front pants pocket, i need to get them to accept 100 pesos from the right front and then cry with me about my deceased (1976) father, on top of that i've just left the house of SD's chief of police (now retired), non-stop licquor. the only people that drink more than drunks are cops, (old AA pamphlet). we did manage to pull a couple of swallows from the johnny walker bottle before it was done. he thinks i'd like his daughter too!, i'm 57....

Papa Benito

Dec 5, 2006
AMRATS are zealously giving '' no helmet'' tickets today. While ignoring all serious violations. Damm, I just barely missed one of the Rats as he ran begween 2 parked cars to issue a ticket.

slas7713

Aug 9, 2004
Problem is they're often selective in who they stop and how they decide to enforce the law. I got stopped for not having my helmet while 98% of the passing motoconchos did not have one either. I pointed that out to him and started counting them, quite rapidly, as they were passing. He finally laughed and let me go without a ticket, or a bribe. I was surprised.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
for the love of god, why can't you just obey the law? i drove to and past sosua many times and never even once caused any interest in AMET nor the police. and i look as white and gringoish as possible. so does miesposo. never had any problems either.
do you guys have come-and-rip-me-off faces or what?

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
To be fair they could make the law clearer as far as wearing helmets goes. I've been here a while and I'm still unsure on this one and I've never been stopped for not wearing one, but at the same time have been told I should wear one.
Now my understanding is that on village roads they are not required but on a highway they are. Legal or none legal this seems to be the score. But you can't have a half arsed unwritten law and expect it to be followed.
Those lights are nuts, how many times I've stopped at all the lights on that road and I get horned from everyone behind me for having the cheek to stop, tis rather confusing and for a tourist..... I can see how it can be very confusing.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
To be fair they could make the law clearer as far as wearing helmets goes. I've been here a while and I'm still unsure on this one and I've never been stopped for not wearing one, but at the same time have been told I should wear one.
Now my understanding is that on village roads they are not required but on a highway they are. Legal or none legal this seems to be the score. But you can't have a half arsed unwritten law and expect it to be followed.
Those lights are nuts, how many times I've stopped at all the lights on that road and I get horned from everyone behind me for having the cheek to stop, tis rather confusing and for a tourist..... I can see how it can be very confusing.

as far as I understand the law about helmets correctly... it is as follows. The law states you have to carry a helmet on your body, it does not specify it has to be on your head. You have to wear it on all roads if you are the driver of the moto. The fact that everybody takes it off once they are of the main roads, is simply because they know Amet will not be there.

only the driver of the moto has to carry a helmet. It does not matter that he carries a paying passenger, these are immune to head injuries. The same goes for seat-belts, the driver has to wear one, but it is no problem his passenger gets his head smashed through the windscreen.

Now that I had my sarcastic releave, I have to admit I have never had any problems with Amet. Yes, I have been pulled over (especially around Playero), but they were always friendly and correct. I did wear my seatbelt, and my papers were in order. I know from good friends they had a different experience, but they admitted they did not wear their seatbelt.

The gun checking blokes (PN or G-2). Well, I once got asked for a propina from Jarabacoa to La Vega, and got away with 25 rds. I once got asked for a propina on the road between Jamao and Sabaneta, and got away with zilch. I almost get stopped weekly between Citymarket and Coastal, but since I had to show my drivers licence and my pic is from when I was 18 years old, they just start laughing, shake my hand, wish me a good weekend and wave me on.

So yes, please answer me, what do you do to antagonize those guys?

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
I was stopped a short time ago and taken up to the station. While there were a handful of gringoes up there, the vast majority were dominican. I've been stopped twice, both times my fault, and have been treated well both times. It seems that if you treat them well, they'll treat you well. I'm sure that others have a different take on it, but to me, they're just doing their job and I'm thankful for it. This town needs some law enforcement. Have a blessed day!!

DannyTenaglia

Mar 29, 2011
when in s. domingo NEVER goto 27 de febrero or kennedy after 10 oclock in the night: Is very dangerous! there are policemen in motorbike ready to steal you money.
atraco policial
They stopped me lots of times telling me that i'm a suspicious person, that they have to take me to the quartel, unless i pay 300 RDS or more. Once they asked me for 15.000 otherwise they will take my car!!!

A police coronel once gave me a good friend advice: After 10 in the night dont stop for nobody, not even policemen, you never know...

There are lots of alternative little roads to choose instead of passing in 27 de feb or kennedy in the night

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
when in s. domingo NEVER goto 27 de febrero or kennedy after 10 oclock in the night: Is very dangerous! there are policemen in motorbike ready to steal you money.
atraco policial
They stopped me lots of times telling me that i'm a suspicious person, that they have to take me to the quartel, unless i pay 300 RDS or more. Once they asked me for 15.000 otherwise they will take my car!!!

A police coronel once gave me a good friend advice: After 10 in the night dont stop for nobody, not even policemen, you never know...

There are lots of alternative little roads to choose instead of passing in 27 de feb or kennedy in the night
I'm sure having second thoughts about visiting RD, does this country survive on graft and bribes ?