Nacional in Punta Cana Village

jeb321

Bronze
Dec 12, 2008
Hieveryone: How is Nacional supermarket doing these days. I have been away since Dec and will be back in Punta Cana in about a week or so. When I was there last Nacional had pretty much just opened. I loved it then.... and I hope it is still as good. Does anyone have any feedback?

sharkstooth777

Jan 22, 2011
I visited both Super Polo and Nacional a couple weeks ago. I think Nacional had more of a variety of items to choose from. It appeared Super Pola is primarily a grocery v. Nacional had a few sections for small household goods/items. Some of the produce in Super Polo was looking pretty rough, and flies were swarming the bananas. I have only been to each place once, so maybe I just caught it on an off day.

I purchased items from both places trying to comparatively shop for price but not really sure it was worth the effort. You could save a few pesos in one place or the other, but it's probably better to shop in the place located closer to the area in which you live unless there is something specific that one or the other carries as stock and you do not want to substitute.

Sometimes you just have to pay the going rate unless you will burn up a lot of gas and time to venture outside the area...offsetting the purpose of getting more product for your peso.

mxcutie

Jan 12, 2010
I often shop at both Pola and Nacional. Both seem to have different selections, and while one is cheaper for some things, the other is cheaper for others. The fresh fruits, vegetables and meats are definitely better and fresher at Nacional. Things like dog food are relatively the same...they seem to have a bit of a different selection of other things, so I usually hit both and get everything I want. The book section at Nacional keeps expanding, as well as the small healthy food section. They also seem to have a better variety of yogurts. Pola has the natural juices though, Nacional only has orange. Also, Nacional always seems to be sold out of water...so when its in, you have to stock up :) they also have a cute little home furnishing section too...

Pib

Goddess
Jan 1, 2002
www.dominicancooking.com
I am totally partial for Nacional, and I am so glad that it was then and nobody else that opened in PCV. Their employees are courteous and better trained, their products are freshers, the place is cleaner, the supermarket is bigger and they offer a lot of things (books, home decoration, flowers, plants, some hardware items) that Pola do not. They keep expanding their selection as they adjust to the local market.

So yeah, go Nacional!