SOSUA to STI airport

totallyi2009

Jun 19, 2009
I was wondering about the complexity of directions from Sosua to STI airport. Is it easily doable? (I do have driving experince here, in the DR :squareeye).
Can somene suggest easiest route?

THanks in advance.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The "easiest" way is to go to Puerto Plata, Navarrete and Santiago, and follow signs to Santo Domingo. Once you are on the highway, about 10-15 minutes after you pass the big Sirena store, 8-10 minutes after you pass the last traffic light at Leche Rica, you will see big signs indicating the turn-off for the airport.

The other way through Cabarete, and Jamao, comes out in Moca. If you go right towards Santiago, when you get to Licey, turn left to the airport
If your go straight, you come to the Ramon Caceres road that leads to the Duarte Hwy...go right there to the airport entrance, amybe 5 minutes.

Good luck.

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am not sure of time. I have talked at length with David Z and he says that it is about the same,time-wise. However, the Jamao road is shorter, but slower going (especially for a newbie). The Tunnel Road is longer, but you go faster.

There is no doubt that the Jamao road presents umpteen opportunities for views and beautiful sights...but these are distractions on a curvy road...

OKAY: Here are more detailed instructions.

You come down the mountain and you end up next to a Police station and across the street from a Natura Gas Station. Turn left. When that road ends about 50 yards past a Texaco station, get ready to turn right. Turn right and go to Licey al Medio.
There are signs, but take a left at the first light in Licey al Medio and go about 3 or 4 kilometers. Take your first right after the big chainlink fence. You will be right in front of the Airport in 4 minutes...be careful of the speed bumps.

Happy Trails.

HB