I dont have any ID but I am a US Citizen.. HELP PLEASE

DRbella

Jun 28, 2011
Basically my mother will not give me my papers (Passport, citizenship papers, or anything). Honestly I have absolutely no idea why she is doing this to me.. I do not have any type of ID (I can get my DR birth certificate from my family in the DR but thats about it) I am 19 and I have not lived with her since I was 14.. I am a citizen because she became a citizen while I was still underage (& living with her) so I became a citizen too.. Does anybody know where I can do to get any type of ID? I know my social but I dont have the actual card, & I live in the US. Thanks in advance.

ExtremeR

Silver
Mar 22, 2006
You need to order a copy of your mother naturalization certificate (the moment you became a US Citizen). A DR birth certificate won't do you any good, do you even know your SS number?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Go to the Social Security office and get a duplicate, it is free. Go to the ICE (Immigration) office and ask for a copy of your naturalization papers. Give your mother's name, date of birth, and you should make sure of your own status.
Your Dominican papers prove who you are, so keep them, too.

And you can always e-mail "Caso Cerrado" with your problem.

HB

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Basically my mother will not give me my papers (Passport, citizenship papers, or anything). Honestly I have absolutely no idea why she is doing this to me.. I do not have any type of ID (I can get my DR birth certificate from my family in the DR but thats about it) I am 19 and I have not lived with her since I was 14.. I am a citizen because she became a citizen while I was still underage (& living with her) so I became a citizen too.. Does anybody know where I can do to get any type of ID? I know my social but I dont have the actual card, & I live in the US. Thanks in advance.

You need to answer a few questions first.

Did your mother get you proof of citizenship like a U.S. passport or a Certificate of Citizenship? If she got you either one of this important document, you don't need her, you just need to apply for a new one. If she didn't, unfortunately, you will need your mother Naturalization certificate with your Dominican Passport, your DOMINICAN birth certificate translated in English to prove that she is your mother and your Green Card to prove that you automatically become a citizens when she naturalized under the Child Citizenship Act.

You can Start by reading this:

http://adoption.state.gov/content/adoption_process/faqs/child_citizenship_act_of_2000.php.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
You need to order a copy of your mother naturalization certificate (the moment you became a US Citizen). A DR birth certificate won't do you any good, do you even know your SS number?

He can NOT order a copy of his/her mother birth certificate. For one it cost a few hundred dollars; application needs to be signed her mother; picture of the mother needs to be sent, and she will need to provide important private information about her mother that she may not know.

A Dominican Birth Certificate is very important to get a U.S. passport if he doesn't have a Certificate of Citizenship, it proves that she is the daughter of the U.S. citizenship.

How Does the Child Get a Passport Under the Child Citizenship Act?
You will need the following when the child applies for a passport:

Proof of the child''s relationship to the American citizen parent. For the biological child of the American citizen this will be a certified copy of the foreign birth certificate (and translation if not in English). For an adopted child, it is a certified copy of the final adoption decree (and translation if not in English);
The child''s foreign passport showing the Bureau of Citizenship and Immigration Services in the Department of Homeland Security (USCIS) I-551 stamp in the passport, or the child''s permanent resident card (green card);
Proof of identity of the American citizen parent(s)
Passport application, passport photographs and fees. Go to UPassport ServicesU for forms and full instructions.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Go to the Social Security office and get a duplicate, it is free. Go to the ICE (Immigration) office and ask for a copy of your naturalization papers.

ICE will not provide her with anything. He needs to go to USCIS NOT ICE.

She can not request her naturalization papers IF her mother didn't apply for it. She will need to show her mother Naturalization papers.

DRbella

Jun 28, 2011
Go to the Social Security office and get a duplicate, it is free. Go to the ICE (Immigration) office and ask for a copy of your naturalization papers. Give your mother's name, date of birth, and you should make sure of your own status.
Your Dominican papers prove who you are, so keep them, too.

And you can always e-mail "Caso Cerrado" with your problem.

HB

Thanks for the advice and the caso cerrado part..pretty funny.. but my mother just thinks that my documents belong to her because she brought me here....

Last edited:

DRbella

Jun 28, 2011
You need to answer a few questions first.

Did your mother get you proof of citizenship like a U.S. passport or a Certificate of Citizenship? If she got you either one of this important document, you don't need her, you just need to apply for a new one. If she didn't, unfortunately, you will need your mother Naturalization certificate with your Dominican Passport, your DOMINICAN birth certificate translated in English to prove that she is your mother and your Green Card to prove that you automatically become a citizens when she naturalized under the Child Citizenship Act.

You can Start by reading this:

http://adoption.state.gov/content/adoption_process/faqs/child_citizenship_act_of_2000.php.

I have a passport (I've used it to go to the DR when I lived with her) and a certificate of naturalization (I signed it) but she has them not me.

DRbella

Jun 28, 2011
ICE will not provide her with anything. He needs to go to USCIS NOT ICE.

She can not request her naturalization papers IF her mother didn't apply for it. She will need to show her mother Naturalization papers.

I signed my naturalization certificate 4 years ago so that does mean that my mother did apply for it? when I went to the SS office last week they told me to make an appointment with USCIS (you cant get any info on the phone with them it has to be by appointment).. I am going to try to go to them in a week or two but I printed the naturalization certificate form online and I am suppose to put my A number on it.. I dont know my A number..where can I get that? I think that if I can get that than I can get my naturalization certificate.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
Your A number should be on your permanent resident card.

Don't worry. When you get to the USCIS office, they will be able to take your information and find your A number in the computer. They will ask lots of detailed information, including lots of information about your mother. Even if your mother is not willing to give you any documents, would she be willing to give you the A-number? It will make your time at the USCIS office much better spent.

Your biggest issue is going to be proving your identity. Do you have any government-issued picture identification? A DR passport? A driver's license? Anything issued by a government agency with a picture, your name, and preferably your date of birth.

You're fortunate that your mother filed for your own naturalization certificate 4 years ago. When you tell her that you will be receiving your US passport, be sure to thank her for filing for that on your behalf.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I was researching and the only way out of this is a expensive one. You will need to fill out the N-600 form at USCIS which costs a whooping $600.00 to file that form. You will need the DR's birth certificate as well. This is a tough one but it can be done...

USCIS - N-600, Application for Certificate of Citizenship

In this case, CIS will tell her to file the N-565 with $345 filing fee. Not cheap, but much easier to obtain, not as much burden of proof, and costs less.

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
Try to reason with your Mom about getting your documents back and stress the importance of doing so, she's probably afraid of losing you, mothers tend to think that way sometimes! If that doesn't work, try bluffing her, and tell her in a nice way that she is not giving you any other choice but to go to Civil Court so she could explain her reason for not giving you your documents in front of a Civil Judge and let the Judge decide what's what!

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I have a passport (I've used it to go to the DR when I lived with her) and a certificate of naturalization (I signed it) but she has them not me.

The State Department can check your passport record and issue you a new passport for a fee of $150.00 if you can't provide proof of US citizenship. Please read this link and scroll down to "Optional Services" and then read "[/b]File Search".

Passport Fees

Or you can file and police report to force your mother to give you your documents back (Cheaper way to get your documents). You are an adult and those documents does not belong to her.

puryear270

Bronze
Aug 26, 2009
I missed that info about the passport. Good catch, Ezequiel.

Forget the USCIS, unless you want to spend the money. Instead, go to the passport office.

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
I missed that info about the passport. Good catch, Ezequiel.

Forget the USCIS, unless you want to spend the money. Instead, go to the passport office.

It's always recommended to have concrete proof of U.S. citizenship, which mean that she needs to get her certificate of citizenship once she gets her passport. The last and final authority on U.S. citizeship for Naturalized citizen is the USCIS, so it is imperative that she gets proof of citizeship from them too, in the form of her Certificate of Citizenship. I know it cost money, but it is very important to have, especially in this anti-immigrant environment that we are living in right now.

I don't know what time of relationship she has with her mother, but her mother has to understand that she needs proof of citizenship if she wants to enroll in school or to work. She can even get deported (extreme case) but it is possible.

Nov 25, 2008
Your asking the WRONG question..... are you a delinquent? wanted by the police in the states, are a problem to your family [drugs, thief...]
This could be the reason why your mother doesn't want you in the states, thinking your better off here than in the US

Ezequiel

Bronze
Jun 4, 2008
Your asking the WRONG question..... are you a delinquent? wanted by the police in the states, are a problem to your family [drugs, thief...]
This could be the reason why your mother doesn't want you in the states, thinking your better off here than in the US

That is not germane to what we are discussing here. She is an adult, she doesn't live with her mother and as an adult those documents belongs to her. It doesn't matter if she is deliquent or if she is wanted by the FBI, as an adult her mother needs to give her her documents back to her.

If she files a police report, the police will force her mother to give her her documents.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Why not see a US Immigration lawyer? These guys know more than anyone on this forum.