Is it safe to travel to Dominican Republic?

jennymikee

Jul 3, 2011
My husband and I are planning a trip there in February or 2010. We are probably going to be close around the Punta Cana area. Just wondering if it's safe to travel to the Dominican Republic and go sight seeing and tour around?

Goodguy

May 13, 2011
<link rel="File-List" href="file:///C:/DOCUME%7E1/ADMINI%7E1/LOCALS%7E1/Temp/msoclip1/01/clip_filelist.xml"><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:DoNotOptimizeForBrowser/> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><style> <!-- /* Style Definitions */ p.MsoNormal, li.MsoNormal, div.MsoNormal {mso-style-parent:""; margin:0cm; margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:12.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-fareast-font-family:"Times New Roman";} @page Section1 {size:612.0pt 792.0pt; margin:72.0pt 90.0pt 72.0pt 90.0pt; mso-header-margin:36.0pt; mso-footer-margin:36.0pt; mso-paper-source:0;} div.Section1 {pag</style>You are probably in the best position to travel safely to the Dominican Republic in 2010. All you need to do is look back over the news items on the days you travelling and where you are travelling to and avoid the places where crimes were committed and I would also recommend that you bring all the winning lottery numbers from 2010 to this day on the off chance that we bump in to each other and you could give them to me. BTW what model of time travel machine are you using and is it easy to source spare parts for it. Enjoy your trip or should I say hope you enjoyed your trip.

Mr_DR

Silver
May 12, 2002
My husband and I are planning a trip there in February or 2010. We are probably going to be close around the Punta Cana area. Just wondering if it's safe to travel to the Dominican Republic and go sight seeing and tour around?

I know that about 99.9% of our goals are are achievable but I don't think this is one of those we would be able to accomplish.

pedrochemical

Silver
Aug 22, 2008

It is safe as long as you do not do anything stupid - just watch out for the drunk driving felons and you should be fine.

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Yes it is safe..as long as you arrive by airplane or boat..otherwise sharks will eat you

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Jenny: You are getting some silly answers because of the mistakes in your Original Post (OP)....
Assuming that you meant 2012, just let me say that the area around Punta Cana is one of the nicest places you can find anywhere. It was created to serve tourists.

Many of us who live here call it the IRE= The Independent Republic of the East...

Why? Cause the lights don't go out. Your streets are clean, the water is there all the time and everyone is "so nice"...

So yes, it is safe.

Tours? Of course they are safe also. So have a good time..

HB

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
hell, it can't be anymore dangerous than the USA has become. The place is drug haven and all the users need cash. I keep my boat in Myrtle Beach South Carolina and a majority of folks have that glassy eyed look of " no ones home !"

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros

Just like traveling and sight seeing anywhere in the planet, the DR is not any different on that level. Common sense and being always aware of your surroundings is prime, as much as what to wear and what not (like gold chains, etc...).

The DR is a very safe country for tourists, as relatively few have been affected by the local crime to afflicts locals in a broader level.

To make my point:

Colombia is considered a very tourist friendly and safe country by all standards, way over the DR can offer at this time. But! And a big one whilst at it, Colombia is not a safe country all around for tourists! There are big swaths of the country where tourists are the prime target of armed guerrillas and local gangs, over which the local government has little force to control.

In the DR such thing is "null and void"...

Costa Rica is labeled as the place to be in LA, then again crimes against tourists has consistently spiked in recent years. How much so? Well it's to the point where the local government needed to promote certain "out or bounds" areas safety campaigns aimed at tourists!

The list goes on!

The DR can be said to be the safest country for travel of the major Antilles, always that travel common sense is followed and valuables are left best secured at where they belong : In your place back home!

I take it the 2010 is a typo when in fact you meant 2011!:p

johnny

Bronze
Feb 8, 2003
hausenland.com

I have another question.
Its safe for dominicans that a convicted felon without passport and with DUI charge travel to this country.

Mu?ecote

Aug 1, 2006
you should be ok as long as you dont introduce yourselves as JennyMikee to a motoconcho

JuanDolioLiving

Sep 7, 2010
You cannot come to this country without a valid passport because it is required to enter the country and you must have the biometric passport other wise you won't be able to get in. A convicted felon cannot due much harm here and as long as he or she doesn't have any problem boarding a plan out of the USA it would not have any problem getting here.

Fernandez

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
The DR is a safe travel destination. One will see poverty in certain areas, however this does not translate into criminality. Danger resides in going places where one would not venture alone, or with someone unknown to them. This is true anywhere.
I would caution to travel with a reputable tour company if you plan to cover the country. The roads are generally in good shape, however there are areas where they aren't and public buses are at times conducted by undisciplined drivers...
I think you will enjoy your vacation in the DR, and return.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
i drove around there with no problem just when your traveling long distance something small might happen. just be your self

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
i live in newyork. dominican rep is like the nicest none violent place i seen. its just scary when first go out there

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
i live in newyork. dominican rep is like the nicest none violent place i seen. its just scary when first go out there

My suggestion to you is to learn some key Spanish phrases before you go, or you will be paying "Gringo" prices for your extracurriculiar activities!

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007

You're going there in "Feb or 2010"...???

Don't worry about a rental car. Use your time machine to get around the island. It's the safest mode of transportation anyway. :speechles