JetBlue announcing 70th destination on 7/6/11. Another DR destination?

edm7583

May 29, 2007
JetBlue is having a little contest to guess their 70th destination they will begin service to, which will be announced on 7/6/11. Those who guessed correctly can be entered to win a trip for two to that destination. They have dropped hints saying it is south of New York, sunscreen is a must, and a passport is required. (and it has to be within the flying range of their A320 aircraft) It's got to be the Caribbean

Jetblue already has a heavy presence in the Caribbean and the DR, serving SDQ, STI, POP, PUJ, and starting in November, LRM. Every commercial international airport except AZS. Could Samana finally be getting a US airline!?

I put in my guess for El Catey airport in Samana

Looking at the map, there are not many Caribbean destinations left that are NOT served by Jet Blue (Haiti, Grand Cayman, Trinidad and Tobago, and of course Cuba. The sunscreen hint suggests more of a leisure destination so Port-au-Prince and Port of Spain are likely out.

This may be wishful thinking that there will finally be air service from the US directly to the Samana peninsula. This would be absolutely transformational to tourism in this part of the country.

JetBlue Airways | Facebook

edm7583

May 29, 2007
Not sure about Antigua or Anguilla. There may be some local traffic to Antigua that may prop this route up, but AA is starting JFK to Antigua in November. I doubt there is enough demand for 2 airlines to serve this route Both these destinations are limited to local traffic and (very) high-end tourism. Very much a niche market and I'm not sure JetBlue would be profitable in it. (This is the same reason why Grand Cayman was never in the cards.) I don't think Jet Blue would pick a luxury end tourist destination in this economy unless there was heavy VFR (local) traffic to prop it up.

Places like Grenada, Anguilla, Antigua and Barbuda or even Curacao are hardly huge tourism destinations, even less so for Americans. Antigua received 80,000 US tourists in all of 2010. The other countries, even less. Compared to over 1.2 million U.S. citizens who visited the DR in 2010

When JetBlue announced La Romana, that surprised me, as most tourists staying in the area arrive at either PUJ or SDQ and use a tour operator for the transfer.

Feb 7, 2007
Anguilla and Trinidad and Tobago are served already by Jetblue.

It may be Venezuela - Isla Margarita, it may be Acapulco in Mexico. It may also be Curacao.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Deyvi

*** I love DR1 ***
Dec 23, 2009
Maybe another airport in Puerto Rico. Fed Ex uses this as a break-bulk for the Carribean. Begins with an A.

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I'm betting either PTY or MDE, both growing air travel markets.

Why should Copa have all the fun?

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
And the winner is:
JetBlue Opens Second Destination in Costa Rica: Liberia!

--Four weekly nonstop flights between New York's JFK and Costa Rica's Pacific coast set to begin November 17, 2011-
-- Start date to coincide with opening of new terminal at Daniel Oduber Quiros International Airport-

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
And the winner is:
JetBlue Opens Second Destination in Costa Rica: Liberia!

--Four weekly nonstop flights between New York's JFK and Costa Rica's Pacific coast set to begin November 17, 2011-
-- Start date to coincide with opening of new terminal at Daniel Oduber Quiros International Airport-

I did not expect it to be a DR location with other airlines cutting back on flights to the DR, but I never would have guessed Costa Rica.

beeza

Silver
Nov 2, 2006
Does STI and POP have ILS? I thought only SDQ had ILS on 17.

Yes that's right. There is only one ILS in the DR which SDQ 17. I know that POP has an approved RNAV approach onto 26 that may go to WAAS one day.

Samana1

Bronze
Jan 4, 2002
www.samana-peninsula.com
B6 to AZS

As sooin the new highway between Catey en Las Terrenas is finished within 3 months!

Their wqill be more flights to Samana. The new road are safer for tourist as Jetblue already anoced to fly in to Samana when the infrasttructre are safer en better in thwe Peninsula Samana.

toursamanawithterry

Jan 30, 2009
We are hearing rumors that Jet Blue will add AZS to their destinations from JFK starting in November 2012. There was quite a bit written around the Internet of this possibility and now some are saying it's a done deal. I'm still looking for concrete confirmation. American Eagle is also looking for a flight to AZS. Not sure from where though.

Have an Awesome Day!

Tour Samana With Terry