US Cuban couple shot dead in Pueblo Bavaro

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
I heard from a former employee, who got attacked in his house by the same gang (he claims its a gang of 3- haitian-dominicans, according to their accent he said), that the FBI is now involved, and apparently this gang is also responsible for the murders of a Spanish and an Italian national. One of the murders had some kind of ritualistic feature (mutiliation that I don't want to repeat here), even though the main motive seems to be money. Sorry, I dont mean to spread rumours, but maybe someone can confirm any of these claims or bits of information. I am just interested as to whats going, and I dont have any other sources of information to go on, as I dont speak/read Spanish.

mg1110

Sep 24, 2005
Agustin and Millie Novoa were good hard working people, loved by their friends and neighbors in Pueblo Bavaro and in Miami. Look at their Facebook page. Millie Novoa | Facebook (Millies page) They were killed by 2 dominicans, not haitians. Their son, 17 yrs old, is devastated and under medical care in Miami; his sister, 20 yrs old was taking summer courses in the university and didn't join the family for the summer vacation like they did twice a year. The family is shattered by this violent crime. Some friends that live in DR had told them about the burglaries, poisoning of dogs to enter a home, and yes, persons killed for a few pesos but they loved DR and didn't wanted to hear this. This things that all know but are not mentioned because Bavaro is a tourist area and anything like that keeps tourism away. The Novoas loved DR and on every trip brought toys, clothes, etc to distribute among the poor. Their plan was to relocate when reaching the age of retiring. There was no drug business involved here and the son was not involved. It is incredible how people come to conclusions and judge without knowing! I'm glad to be out of there.... saw too much.... went through too much... it was all a dream sold to us, not a reality and it was very sad to open our eyes. Glad we were able to leave on time and very sorry for these couple that will be missed by their friends and family.

Yes, we heard the FBI is involved, the case has taken enormous proportions, it is in the news of different countries. Who knows, maybe Bavaro will be restored and secured again and some of us may return... after all it is a beautiful country.

donP

Dec 14, 2008
More Dangerous Now

It does not sound like the typical attempt to rob somebody, though...
Can you enlighten me how a typical (Dominican) robbery takes place?
In the last few years much more violence and the use of guns were seen in robberies and house invasions.

donP

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
We've read that the couple loved Bavaro and DR, and encouraged their friends/family/neighbors to visit there. Just heartbreaking and horrifying.

These stories shake me up when I hear them - the violence directed at foreigners. Do they assume we're all millionaires? How can people value life so lowly? Robbing is one thing, killing is quite another.

I can't help think that 'there but for the grace of God go I'. My husband is the first one to admit that Dominicans consider him a foreigner too.

Of course, it won't change anything for us....

AE

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
In the last few years much more violence and the use of guns were seen in robberies and house invasions.

donP

Exactly b/c of the use of guns. Why they would have mercy with the son and a Haitian, since they showed no pity with father and mother? How they came in obviously that easy? In my place they would have to break locks first doors are always closed etc. I don't want to imply anything. These people appeared such nice people. Maybe the couple knew the robbers?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009

donP

Exactly b/c of the use of guns. Why they would have mercy with the son and a Haitian, since they showed no pity with father and mother? How they came in obviously that easy? In my place they would have to break locks first doors are always closed etc. I don't want to imply anything. These people appeared such nice people. Maybe the couple knew the robbers?

gilligan

Jun 27, 2011
Why they would have mercy with the son and a Haitian, since they showed no pity with father and mother?

My knee jerk reaction was that is was a menendez until I thought about it more carefully. If my home was being invaded I would try to get into a room and lock the door, then move all the furniture in the room up against the door and pray that they either don't know I'm in there or they give up trying to break the door down.

I want to know if the suspects also live in Pueblo Bavaro.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
That is what I think, too. They might have known them and yes it is possible they live in the same Pueblo Bavaro, maybe knowing the area and the habits of the people living here.

HumbleHindu

Jan 14, 2010
In my experience I had understood that robers do not come from outside. They must be either a known person or his deputies

miggy99

May 4, 2011
Yes in their eyes we are all millionaires

We've read that the couple loved Bavaro and DR, and encouraged their friends/family/neighbors to visit there. Just heartbreaking and horrifying.

These stories shake me up when I hear them - the violence directed at foreigners. Do they assume we're all millionaires? How can people value life so lowly? Robbing is one thing, killing is quite another.

I can't help think that 'there but for the grace of God go I'. My husband is the first one to admit that Dominicans consider him a foreigner too.

Of course, it won't change anything for us....

AE
You have to remember they, for the most part, can only dream of what the USA is like. And helping them dream is the great communicator---television-----remember to them the movies-hollywood-thats real America to them so in their minds yes we are all millionaires. And as I read this thread I always remember what a guy I was talking to on the plane said "Life in the Dominican Republic is cheap" he said " Are you kidding me, if a Haitian gave you trouble the Dominicans would kill him for $5 or $10 bucs or maybe just for fun". He might have exaggerated by I got the point.

mg1110

Sep 24, 2005
I found out from a friend, of a friend, of a friend.....

The Novoas used to sit on the terrace every night with friends and neighbors, just to talk. That night a neighbor (couple) planned to spend the evening with them but the wife got sick and the husband decided to keep her company. A little while later the boy came over screaming for help and they went to help.... won't get on the details of what they saw but found out that the boy and Haitian (definitely not involved in this) were outside, the couple inside, she was starting dinner and these 2 armed thugs came in (hooded) and took all 4 upstairs, shoving the boy and haitian into a bathroom where they heard a scuffle and shots. Apparently the shots went through the bedroom door, there were holes there... that day people from a hurricane shutters company came over to work on that.... who knows, if it were the same people? since they covered their heads? this is just speculation now...
This neighbor couple that went to help that day told this to some of their friends, they are shattered, were very close with the Novoas, it is such a tragedy... they should just have robbed them but not killed them, may God have mercy on them.... I really hope something good happens out of all this and that their death was not in vain.... it could happen to anyone there! PLEASE BE VERY CAREFUL WHO YOU LET INTO YOUR HOME!!! TAKE CARE.....

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Sitting Duck Syndrome

... they should just have robbed them but not killed them, may God have mercy on them....
HE will.
Even IF they are caught, chances are that they will be in the streets again after a few months.
I know of several cases where murderers were set free after payments to the right people.

I really hope something good happens out of all this and that their death was not in vain....
Nothing good will happen. It was one of the daily murders here.

donP