Cheap lunches in Sosua and Cabarete

Status
Not open for further replies.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
As I work in Sosua I usually buy my lunch every day. This can vary from sandwiches, to pizza to Dominican food all in the 100 to 150 pesos range.
I thought it would be good if we could compile a list of where to get cheap lunches, the food and the price.
For example, O La Vache on Pedro Clisante have a very good size basic Margarita pizza for 150 pesos.
The German restaurant next to Latinos disco sell Schnitzel sandwiches for 100 pesos. They also have Goulasch soup for 100 pesos and very nice meatballs for 50 pesos each. I often buy the meatballs and then go to the colmado and get a couple of bread rolls, instant hamburger!
Citimarket have very nice ready made sandwiches for 99 pesos.

Obviously there are lots of Dominican places that could be mentioned such as the Domincan buffet at Bailey's etc but lets see what other foods people can come up with for less than 150 pesos.

If you are like me and have lunch out everyday it can be expensive so lets come up with a decent list of places in both Sosua and Cabarete so that we can share with everyone.

Please, lets stay on the topic...too many times a thread can go completely off topic.

Thanks...am looking forward to hearing from you all.

bizzyboneizo

Aug 31, 2010
theres a cheap sandwich place in sosua right across the street from texico on the corner by the area of classico club. check and see if they are still around

hammerdown

Bronze
Apr 29, 2005
The Belgian lady in Plaza Luna in Cabarete has different daily specials for 99pesos.....darn good too.....I prefer the meatball special on Tuesdays....There is also Meja across from Ocean Dream Plaza (a little cubby hole in the wall) where you can get your typical plata del dia for 100 pesos, and he has the BEST fried chicken in the country

Feb 7, 2007
I see that touristy Sosua and Cabarete have more places to grab inexpensive lunch than much larger non-touristy Higuey, excluding the cafeterias in barrios serving white rice and beans and some chicken every day for some 130-150 pesos ...

Last edited:

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Kiters and then I am mostly talking about Cabarete are usually young people and all they want to do is catch that wind whenever to surf so they are not interested in dressing up for a fancy restaurant, a quick bite is what they are after. Some places in Cabarete are picking this up and serving good food, quick and not expensive. That's why these little places are such a success, they serve good food for the market that is there.

To give you an example, every day when doing shopping we see a young guy (long blond hair, that's why I notice) walking towards his condo with a take-away chinese...all day the same, take away, not expensive and you can eat two day's from it if you want. Not my style although I do take away once in a while but I can imagine that for that guy its just heaven. Surfed all day, had fun, had some beers maybe with friends and is now getting off to "bed" with his dinner. Sure, why not although I would like to tell him to get some variation in his diet but then I....I look old if I do that lol

anng3

Bronze
Jan 12, 2007
You can get Dominican lunch for $120 to go or eat in at the restaurant next to Bon in Sosua.
The mother is a wonderful cook. Plate of the day has chicken or beef etc with rice, beans or morro, salad and water from
the large blue bottles. Some days they add plantains or beets. She cooks the beef with onions, it's tender and the best I've eaten in the DR. They open at 11:30.
I have no connection to them other than I go there often.

tee

Bronze
Sep 14, 2007
Cabarete
Keep the suggestions coming...there are lots of people that want to have a cheap lunch, even more so a lunch on the run. We could eventually have a nice long list for people living in both Cabarete and Sosua.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
The butcher "Bavaria" near the entrance of Sosua Ocean Village makes a killer roasted pork loin sandwhich for RD70-80, (it's by the lb) get the honey mustard. I usually eat 1 1/2 of them and eat the extra 1/2 late night! The beer is quite cold.

tambo'

tflea

Bronze
Jun 11, 2006
Tropical Cafe just opened and has a daily lunch for $160. Across the street from Playero, behind Mundo 2. A/C, WiFi, bigscreen TV,
outside patio; also has regular buffet or order from the menu. Like the one at their supermarket in Pto. Plata.

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
You can get a huge Dominican lunch at The Britannia Pub for only 140 pesos. Includes chicken, pork or carne, rice, beans and salad...and very delicious. The also have many other daily specials all at reasonable prices.

Status
Not open for further replies.