how to get a mistake on marriage certificate changed

Wildly Organic

Aug 6, 2009
So,my daughter is happily married for a year.They have already gone to a lawyer and paid $500 to change his Mum's first name from her "nickname" (a mistake at his birth certificate issuing,her name of course is on his certificate,to complicate it even worse her town of birht was wrong and the year (the Dad was doing all this and guessing while seh was having the baby in the hospital 27 years ago) It took 8 months and finally the lawyer got it done.Of course this name is also on their marriage certificate and although not a big deal they want everything perfect before they apply to Canada (they have been together 3 years, have proof ,live in DR...etc) my question is...can't we just go to Santo Domingo and go to vital statistics or whatever government thing they call it there and just get the paper fixed? Why were they told a lawyer? Maybe he just assumed a lawyer would be the only way. So I am going down in August and it would be great,so flippen great to just do this up and get it ready.It has not been easy financially for them let's just say and they are a young couple. so looking forward to any advice thanks

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
marriage only complicates things, leave the paper work the way it is and tell them to relax, enjoy life together and their new baby. We put too damn much emphasis on paper work............it is what is in the heart that matters.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
marriage only complicates things, leave the paper work the way it is and tell them to relax, enjoy life together and their new baby. We put too damn much emphasis on paper work............it is what is in the heart that matters.

Thank you Mr Lawyer but they might need real LEGAL documents in the future.

TO the OP, I'm trying to do a search here and just to clarify who's first/last name needs to be changed on the marriage certificate?

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Thank you Mr Lawyer but they might need real LEGAL documents in the future.

TO the OP, I'm trying to do a search here and just to clarify who's first/last name needs to be changed on the marriage certificate?
Anna , the documents are real are they not ? they were done legally so there is some mistake, big deal, the odds are a million to one anyone will ever notice or you'll ( they) will have any need to have the documents corrected anyway. Just my opinion and as far as lawyers ? ja ja ja.............$$$$$$$ better off with my free advise.

AnnaC

Gold
Jan 2, 2002
.Of course this name is also on their marriage certificate and although not a big deal they want everything perfect before they apply to Canada,my question is...can't we just go to Santo Domingo and go to vital statistics or whatever government thing they call it there and just get the paper fixed?

A quote from Mr Guzman who is our resident lawyer on DR1,

If the error was in the marriage certificate -- the birth certificate and c?dula show the correct name -- you may have it corrected without much problem.

I believe this is the place Junta Central Electoral de la Rep?blica Dominicana - JCE > Portada

When it comes to Immigration Canada it's best to be on the safe side.

Good luck

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
The JCE is making corrections for FREE people. You just need to provide the proof that there are errors of spelling or interpretation and they will correct them....JCE at the huge traffic circle at the intersection of 27 de Febrero and Luperon where the St. Louis wanna-be arch is located with the big flag....

HB

Wildly Organic

Aug 6, 2009
THANKS to everyone who replied to this thread! Yes,we want it done right and are not taking any chances! Canada is very strict. Um, there is no baby,not sure who thinks there is? ANyways heaps of thanks and I will get on the recommended web site asap. :)

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I am kinda sure this cannot be done on-line, but you can try...Let us know, it might be a first..

HB

Wildly Organic

Aug 6, 2009
I am kinda sure this cannot be done on-line, but you can try...Let us know, it might be a first..

HB

Online? They have to have a marriage certificate changed,pretty sure that it has to be in person,I am looking into this to hopefully find out that we can avoid a lawyer.still not sure on that :disappoin