Expat hangouts in Puerto Plata?

Status
Not open for further replies.

POP Visitor

Jul 6, 2011
Hi,

I am visiting Puerto Plata at the moment, solo for another week or so before friends are joining up.

While drifting around in an all inclusive existence is very enjoyable, it would be great to escape for a moment, to enjoy a chat over a cold one.

Hence, I thought I'd see if there is a place where expats meet up for a drink during the evenings?

/ Maria

POP Visitor

Jul 6, 2011
I'm in Playa Dorada.

I've given the local hot spots (e.g. Hemingways was charming, but not a lot of people) a try.

Having gone also to a couple of places in Puerto Plata, I'm thinking there must be more places around in the city center?

What's Tam Tams?

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
In the city, a block north of Central Park is Sam's Bar. A hangout for some of the longtime expat characters in town. Not open too late at night as most are 3 sheets to the wind fairly early.

POP Visitor

Jul 6, 2011
3 sheets to the wind, brilliant expression!

What's not too late?

Is it a just-show-up-and-have-a-chat type of place, for all ages & types, any day of the week?

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
3 sheets to the wind, brilliant expression!

What's not too late?

Is it a just-show-up-and-have-a-chat type of place, for all ages & types, any day of the week?
Sam's bar, located in the Hotel Castilla, is a place to experience at least once. It is Puerto Plata's oldest hotel, built in the late 1800's. Not much has been updated since then except for maybe some indoor plumbing. Usually 4-6 PM the local expat characters stop in after work. Most are ready to stagger home by 8PM. Food served is a mix of Dominican and Gringo fare. Prices are reasonable. Good place for an American breakfast.

POP Visitor

Jul 6, 2011
Sam's sounds perfect to try out.

Where is la serena, thought it was a shopping center in Puerto Plata?

What's in Sosua?

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
Sam's bar, located in the Hotel Castilla, is a place to experience at least once. It is Puerto Plata's oldest hotel, built in the late 1800's. Not much has been updated since then except for maybe some indoor plumbing. Usually 4-6 PM the local expat characters stop in after work. Most are ready to stagger home by 8PM. Food served is a mix of Dominican and Gringo fare. Prices are reasonable. Good place for an American breakfast.

Excellent American breakfast, whenever we were in PP. That was the place for breakfast. I was supposed to fly home 9-11-01 in the afternoon, and I was eating breakfast watching the big screen, when all the news starting breaking in about the attacks.

Needless to say, there was no flight.....(for another 7 days).......

We spent the day going back and forth from Sams Bar, and Duane + Annas Bar...(not there anymore)......

Incredible day I'll never forget...........

Last edited:

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
The real answer is that there isn't anywhere of the sort you envisage in Puerto Plata. Nowhere where you can go and expect to find a group of English-speaking ex-pats. Just a few at Sam's, very friendly, but lost in their own world of ex-pat gossip and booze.

You could try Sos?a where more ex-pats are concentrated within a smaller area. If you are a single lady you might not fancy the longish trip back to Playa Dorada after dark so I suggest going at midday by publico, cost you 45 pesos or 90 pesos if you buy both front seats (= one front seat LOL), walk along the beach path, then go to the restaurant area in Pedro Clisante for a meal or just a drink, and head back home around 6.00pm. Everything is easy walking distance in Sos?a and safe enough if you stick to the busy main streets.

A return trip to Sos?a by Playa Dorada taxi would be very expensive. Maybe 2000 pesos return? (Someone help me out here). But that would give you the option of staying in Sos?a after dark when things start to liven up and still have a safe ride home.

POP Visitor

Jul 6, 2011
Thanks for the helpful tips!

Any particular days better than others, for a visit & night out in Cabarete or Sosua?

Status
Not open for further replies.