Possibility of identity theft with Original Documents

Oct 23, 2008
I am planning on getting married in this country within the next month or two. I did my homework and found out that they require the following:

1. Copies of the passport

2. Apostilled Original copies of the Birth Certificates of both parties

3. Letter of eligibility to get married

4. 2 Witnesses

I have no problem with 1, 3 and 4. However, #2 is an issue. Anyone's original Birth Certificate can be easily used for the purpose of identity theft!

In all the other countries that I know of, Government officials usually verify the validity of the documents, make a copy of them, and then hand you the originals. In this country however, they almost always want to stay with the originals.

Has anyone been through this process of marriage before? Is there any way to avoid handing in my original birth certificate so that anyone can take it and use it as they please?

Any ideas or advice would be appreciated.

Thanks.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
If you are coming from the US #2 is necessary and can be gotten on line for the fee from your state of birth, you need it to get married, make a copy, you keep the original. #3 you get from the Secretary of State from your state, it's a form that says you haven't been/aren't married in that state. I went in person in boston but you might get it online, might.

Let me know in a few years, I can give advice on the Divorce process.