Comprehensive and Liability insurance on a borrowed car in Puerto Plata

espadas

Jul 4, 2011
Good morning folks,
I come to Puerto Plata 4 to 5 times a year typically staying a week at a time. I started borrowing "una jipeta" from a Dominican chap for $1,000 pesos a day which works out cheaper than renting from a licensed rental company. I also get a sturdier vehicle which is great for some of the roads. He said that he has "full" insurance on the car and showed me the insurance paper. Looks legit to me.

Would someone be able to tell me whether "full" insurance typically covers liability as well? I checked with my insurance company here in Canada, but they won't cover the car in DR. I checked with a DR insurance company and they provide the insurance, but I have to pay for 1 year. Not really worth it, but I definitely don't want to be driving around Pto Pta without liability insurance. I'm thinking it best to take the insurance form to someone like Amber and find out what it covers and to what amount. Any thoughts? thanks

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
A couple of things to consider:
* His insurance may balk at any claim if they were to find out he rented the vehicle to you. His liability may protect him, but the company may say "who the hell are you?" and leave you hanging.
* For you to take out an insurance policy, you would have to prove that you have an "insurable interest" in the vehicle. The insurance company would probably require a copy of your rental contract with the property owner.