Punta Cana to Rio San Juan - via air

weddinginrio

Jul 13, 2011
I have read several outdated posts about travel to and from Punta Cana to Puerto Plata -- I am looking specifically for travel between Punta Cana to Rio San Juan.

I am having a wedding in Rio San Juan and need to find the best way one of my guests can travel the morning of my wedding (friday) from Punta Cana to Rio San Juan and then the next morning (saturday) back to Punta Cana.

1.) Should they travel to Puerto Plata and then take car to Rio San Juan (1 hr drive) - not that bad
2.) Or are there flights from Punta Cana to Cabrera (which is only 15 mins from Rio San Juan)

Helicopter seems really expensive - does anyone know of a reasonably priced helicopter service?
Chartered flight - seems like a good option...cheaper than helicopter - does anyone know of a company/pilot I can contact?
Regular regional flight - aren't there any airlines that fly from city to city in DR?

Thanks SOOOOO much for anyone that can help.

LTSteve

Gold
Jul 9, 2010
Hi:I doubt you will find any type of transportation overly reasonable price wise. Realistically you probably have three choices; either rent a car and drive or hire a car and driver or as you suggested take a bus from Punta Cana to Puerto Plata and make arrangements from there to get to Rio San Juan. There are no regularly scheduled airlines coming into Cabrera. If it were me I would rent a car and drive myself. During the day there should be no problem doing this and you will not be at the mercy of time schedules. This would also be about 40% less cost wise vs. hiring a taxi for the round trip. Good luck.

S