exporting sugar to europe

dbogdan83

Jun 20, 2011
Hello guys,

I have a friend of mine who has a few companies in Turkey that are interested in purchasing a fair amount of sugar. I will be relocating to DR by the end of this year and since i know that DR is one of the top sugar exporters in the world i was wondering if any one has any USEFUL information on EXPORTING. thanks in advance

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
there are only two types of sugar produced on a mass basis in the DR. one is cream sugar, the light brown stuff, and the other is the refined white sugar. the excess unrefined cream sugar all goes to the USA, by arrangement. on the refined side, not one ounce is exported. you cannot get it. if you could, i would be rich, since i tried to source 250,000 tons for a middle eastern concern, and the commission would have been sweet. you just cannot get it. FORGET IT.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Gorgon: THank you for your posts. Some people think that this country is what? Some sort of Utopia, up in the air and away from the rest of the world>>>??? Sheesh!! And then they say we are harsh...nasty. No, we are not! Not at all.

But can you imagine even thinking that you can come into a country that has lived by exporting coffee, sugar, tobacco, and cacao for more than a hundred years and waltz in and purchase product??? Where the #$% are their heads? They think that because they have a few pennies that they can buy whatever it is that they want...They never heard of Commodity markets???

Man oh man...welcome to the Shark Tank...

HB

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Table 1. Sugarcane In The world: Area, Production And Productivity (2003)

Country Area
(million ha) Production (million tons) Productivity
(Tons/ha)
Brazil 5.343 386.2 72.3
India 4.608 289.6 62.8
China 1.328 92.3 65.5
Thailand 0.970 64.4 66.4
Pakistan 1.086 52.0 47.9
Mexico 0.639 45.1 70.6
Colombia 0.435 36.6 84.1
Australia 0.423 36.0 85.1
USA 0.404 31.3 77.5
Philippines 0.385 25.8 67.1
Indonesia 0.350 25.6 73.1
Cuba 0.654 22.9 35.0
South Africa 0.325 20.6 63.4
Argentina 0.295 19.2 65.2
Myanmar 0.165 7.5 45.4
Bangladesh 0.166 6.8 41.2
WORLD 20.42 1333.2 65.2

Below are the leading sugar exporters for 2009-10.

* Brazil ? 17.7 million tons (39% of global sugar exports)
* European Union ? 8.1 million (18%)
* Australia ? 4.1 million (9%)
* Thailand ? 2.6 million (5.8%)
* SADC ? 1.6 million (3.6%)
* Guatemala ? 1.5 million (3.3%)
* India ? 1.4 million (3.1)
* Persian Gulf ? 1.3 million (2.9%)
* South Africa ? 1.3 million (2.9%)
* Cuba ? 1.2 million (2.7%)

Less then 5 minutes on Google. Don't ya just love a guy that has done his homework?

kdolo

Mar 9, 2009
Sugar

Hello guys,

I have a friend of mine who has a few companies in Turkey that are interested in purchasing a fair amount of sugar. I will be relocating to DR by the end of this year and since i know that DR is one of the top sugar exporters in the world i was wondering if any one has any USEFUL information on EXPORTING. thanks in advance

Why so many haters ??

Ignore them. There is always room for smart and innovative entrepreneurs. Find a way to make it work.

good luck

dbogdan83

Jun 20, 2011
Why so many haters ??

Ignore them. There is always room for smart and innovative entrepreneurs. Find a way to make it work.

good luck

to kdolo..finally a smart person on here.. the more time i spend on this site the more ignorant people like the ones above i run into.. especially hillbilly.. if you read any of his comments on any post he does nothing but put people down and bring negativity.. i am sure he is a waiter some where making 500$ a month at a small restaurant.. its all good.. the more dumb people we have on this planet the easier life will be for the smart ones.. keep up the good work!!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Nice try Bogdan!! You come on like a punk, do you realize that? What? 28 and saying you are going to buy 10 condos in Punta Cana, without knowing jack about the market? And you want us to do your homework for you?

Now you say you want to buy sugar!! Gee, did you do any homework? Or do you want us to tell you the facts: No sugar is sold here!! It is all sold months in advance in commodity markets, you idiot. You want Dominican sugar, go to Chicago or NYC--if you know where that is!!

Okay, you got under my skin...but you really need to think a bit more...and grow up...

HB

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Kdolo: no argument there. Plenty of room. But don't ask me or anyone else to do your work for you. We will be happy and willing to point you in the right direction, perhaps supply a name or two, but if you want professional assistance as to location, pricing and availability, you need to do it off the board with money in your hand. The work is 'professional' help or assistance.

You want opinions, we give opinions for free. You want me to go find your marriage certificate, send money,. you want to know where to invest? Come to our office. There is a reason it is called professional advice...

HB

MaineGirl

The Way Life Should Be...
Jun 23, 2002
amity.beane.org
if you read any of his comments on any post he does nothing but put people down and bring negativity.. i am sure he is a waiter some where making 500$ a month at a small restaurant.

Wow :) You know less than I thought. Try searching his posts...15k posts, there is gold in them there hills!!!! And he is right, professional advice costs money! If it was easy everyone would do it!

Feb 7, 2007
@kdolo that's like if you wanted to get into oil exporting business from Venezuela. I think even smart and innovative entrepreneurs could not get into the inner circle.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
kdolo and dbogdan83, don't get mad when people don't give you the answers you want, they really have your best interests in mind. In fact, I would never want to steer anybody wrong. But, I have an oppurtunity you might be interested in. I can offer you an exclusive franchise distributorship for the entire Dominican Republic. For a reasonable amount (In US $), which we can negotiate, wired to my account, I can offer you the exclusive rights to distribute a leading brand of snow plows in the Dominican Republic. Believe me, I wouldn't lie, this is a good deal for you. And remember, this advice is worth what you are paying for it.
On the otherhand, advice given by Hillbilly costs the same but is worth a fortune.
If you don't like this advice you receive, don't get mad and go away, just go away.

Last edited:

the gorgon

Platinum
Sep 16, 2010
i thought that this guy posted on the board in order to get advice. i had no idea that the realities would have made some people angry, or i would not even have bothered to respond. yes, Hillbilly answered the question with two words..... COMMODITY BROKERS. gentlemen, as i myself learned in my little episode, it is not as if you are trying to buy a 25 pound sack. when you start talking in terms of tens of thousands of tons, it is a different ball game. i have done all the calling, and the emails, and come up with the same answer....FORGET IT.

drtampa

Bronze
Oct 1, 2004
New Ulm, TX
i am sure he is a waiter some where making 500$ a month at a small restaurant..

My friend Luis the waiter in a small restaurant??? NOT!!!!!