Working as a dental hygienist in DR

RDH2011

Jul 15, 2011
Hi,

I am a dental hygienist from Canada. I was wondering if anyone could help me find information in English about the regulations regarding dental hygienists practicing in the DR.

I am particularly looking for information regarding if dental hygienists are allowed to practice independently from dentists.

Also, I have seen many "smile clinics" that offer tooth whitening. Is tooth whitening a procedure that only dentists are allowed to do or can dental hygienists also allowed to provide this service?

I have heard that only dentists can do this but also, I have heard that dental hygienists can also do this.

I have visited the ministry of public health but I do not speak spanish, and am having difficulty navigating the site.

Any help is appreciated,

Thanks!

La Profe_1

Moderator: Daily Headline News, Travel & Tourism
Oct 15, 2003
Most dentists do their own prophylaxis and sealants. The only dental hygienists that I know of who have done work in the DR have worked as part of a temporary clinic.

I am not in the DR at present, but I am acquainted with the Director of Public Health dentistry in Puerto Plata. I can double-check with him when I return to the DR in the fall.

To be honest, I doubt that you will be able to practice in the DR except as part of a "free clinic" outreach.

RDH2011

Jul 15, 2011
Hello La Profe,

Thank you for your reply,

I would greatly appreciate any further information that you are able to provide in the fall,

I also have one more question about the service tax that is mandatory on most services in the DR. Does this service tax also apply to dental services?

Thanks again!

RDH

Most dentists do their own prophylaxis and sealants. The only dental hygienists that I know of who have done work in the DR have worked as part of a temporary clinic.

I am not in the DR at present, but I am acquainted with the Director of Public Health dentistry in Puerto Plata. I can double-check with him when I return to the DR in the fall.

To be honest, I doubt that you will be able to practice in the DR except as part of a "free clinic" outreach.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
I have never seen a dental hygienist in the DR

I have been to 6 different dentists over the years in the DR and I have never seen a dental hygienist.

jimmyhusten

Jul 22, 2011
This seems really to be tough enough to know?

<table style="width: 237px; height: 51px;" border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="0"><col width="64"><tr height="20"> <td style="height:15.0pt;width:48pt" width="64" height="20">laser breast lift cost</td> </tr></table>