Claro's internet billing question

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
For the past week I have been dealing with Claro to try to get the internet speed I pay for. Yesterday, when I called again they said they have closed the ticket as they cannot provide me with the speed that I pay for. OK, I accept that but what I don't accept is that they cannot reduce my billing below the minimum billing amount while receiving only half of the speeds in the minimum billing. I asked them to reduce it to a reasonable amount that reflects the reality. They said that they cannot do this and I ventured to say that they are billing me illegally as they know I am not receiving the stipulated speeds. I suggested that they bill me the lowest amount and apply a credit with every billing. I thought this was reasonable but today a Supervisor is calling. Can or does anyone know if it is illegal to charge for goods, admittedly, not being received?

:ermm::ermm::ermm::ermm:

Feb 7, 2007
Claro te da mas ... (Claro gives you more)... more headaches, more aggravation, more incompetence, more service issues, more outages, more promises ... than ANY other operator in the DR
I think their slogan describes it pretty well.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We keep being told that the DR has the most advanced telecommunications in Central America(or something.) That's tough to believe. Claro/Codetel has gone into the crapper since Verizon sold to Slim.

That being said, we finally have the speed we've been promised, 4mbs/1mbs. Makes a difference.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
We keep being told that the DR has the most advanced telecommunications in Central America(or something.) That's tough to believe. Claro/Codetel has gone into the crapper since Verizon sold to Slim.

That being said, we finally have the speed we've been promised, 4mbs/1mbs. Makes a difference.

Where are you located? What plan do you have?

Right now all I am getting is 1.57 mbs/0.25mbs and Skype calls worthless due to my speech badly garbled although I have no problem hearing what other party is saying.

I checked the computer in office where I live and its speeds same as mine.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
Where are you located? What plan do you have?

Right now all I am getting is 1.57 mbs/0.25mbs and Skype calls worthless due to my speech badly garbled although I have no problem hearing what other party is saying.

I checked the computer in office where I live and its speeds same as mine.
Jarabacoa. We had the 1.5/756 plan that was upgraded to 4/1 plan.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
Jarabacoa. We had the 1.5/756 plan that was upgraded to 4/1 plan.

I'm going to look into that. Skype working again, so that must have been a different problem. 0.25mbs quite different than 756 on present plan. Are you getting 4/1?

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
I'm going to look into that. Skype working again, so that must have been a different problem. 0.25mbs quite different than 756 on present plan. Are you getting 4/1?
Last I checked we got 4.95/.85. I'll take it.

My Skype has been really acting up lately. Most of the conversations are "can you hear me now?"

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Last I checked we got 4.95/.85. I'll take it.

My Skype has been really acting up lately. Most of the conversations are "can you hear me now?"

Cobraboy, that skype has its "hickups" atm must not necessarily have to do with claro. I am in Bavaro using Tricom Wimax and Orange Flybox and I had lots of issues recently. My employers in the US (California) faced lots of skype problems in the last 2, 3 weeks, too. Coincidence with been aquired by Microsoft, maybe ;)

DannyTenaglia

Mar 29, 2011
cobra, i'm in jarabacoa too.
On the last month something strange is happening to me: i pay for 512 and i receive 1meg, dont know why. Anyway i think your problem should be the trafic: i guess you live in an internet populated area and the signal has to share within many people. I live in the campo, and i dont think theres so many internet user here, so i have extra band.

I know this is not a really technical explication, i'm only trying to guess...

Anyway, the orange wireless signal is now active in the pueblo, you should try it but remember the orange band is 3mbit only for the first 3 gb of download, then they cut at 384kbps. You will have to wait a month to have the 3mbit again.

Good luck

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
On the last month something strange is happening to me: i pay for 512 and i receive 1meg, dont know why. Anyway i think your problem should be the trafic: i guess you live in an internet populated area and the signal has to share within many people. I live in the campo, and i dont think theres so many internet user here, so i have extra band.

Anyway, the orange wireless signal is now active in the pueblo, you should try it but remember the orange band is 3mbit only for the first 3 gb of download, then they cut at 384kbps. You will have to wait a month to have the 3mbit again.

Good luck

Orange has a plan with 25 GB limit, too. That's what I use.

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004

Good luck
To be clear, I get 4mbs down, 1mbs up. That is a free upgrade from 1.5mbs/756k.

I'm totally OK with it.

Codetel upgraded everybody.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
To be clear, I get 4mbs down, 1mbs up. That is a free upgrade from 1.5mbs/756k.

I'm totally OK with it.

Codetel upgraded everybody.

Apparently they haven't done Sosua yet. I recall the announcement saying something about being done by end of August. I go to the US for 2 months on the 28th, so hopefully I'll be upgraded by the time I return in late September.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009

Good luck

Orange has 3 plans at the moment... 5GB, 10 and 25 GB... If you have the 5GB plan your speed will be cut to 256kbs once you reach your limit. From 10GB onwards it will be cut to 384.

Mind you, I am very happy with their service. My flybox died after 3 months of service, and after some negotiating in the Sosua office I was offered a temporary one free of charge until they get mine replaced. The other option was having to drive to Santiago, which I declined of course.

My experience up to now? Orange, excellent and consistent service, customer-friendly. Claro, well, hmmm, no service, no consistent service, customers whoehaaaaaaa......

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
I am in Cabarete and in the office, last week, there was a line-up at the counter all complaining about their speed. They say they can do nothing to improve the speed - no extra bandwidth. A supervisor called me yesterday to let me know that they have a new billing amount for less than their minimal billing plan. Taxes included, I will be billed RD $700.00 p/m and they are going to issue a credit retroactively for the overbilling. I'll wait to see that. It really sucks! I can't use skype and yesterday it took 7 hours to download a 304 mb update!!

cobraboy

Jul 24, 2004
They say they can do nothing to improve the speed - no extra bandwidth.
Bandwidth can't be manufactured out of thin air. It requires significant hardware and infrastructure additions.

My wife's nephew is a technical engineer for Codetel's internet dept. dealing with T1 lines for business. He has said for over a year there will be no more copper trunk lines. It's all going fiberoptic. The fiber cables go in that skinny orange plastic pipe you see laid here and there.

So until you see the cable being laid don't expect an increase in bandwidth.

We went through many, many months of horrible DSL service here until Codetel brought fiber in and tweaked the system. Now it's solid.

The good news is it seems Orange broadband is a viable alternative in Cabarete. Some areas don't have an option.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
A supervisor called me yesterday to let me know that they have a new billing amount for less than their minimal billing plan. Taxes included, I will be billed RD $700.00 p/m and they are going to issue a credit retroactively for the overbilling.

It is not like Codetel/Claro to admit something is their fault and make a price adjustment. Most likely this is because Orange is now a viable option so you don't have to stick with codetel/claro whether you like it or not.

rendul

Bronze
Feb 24, 2002
rendul.tripod.com
Thank you for the info. How reliable are they? I will check at the orange desk in Janet's to see what plans they have, if they have any printed material. Great to know there is an alternative because I can't stand this speed!!!