Power company shuts off power without an investigation.

bdablack

Jun 30, 2011
I was talking to my friend last night and she told me that the power company had shut her mother's power off after a RD$ 2,500 was not paid. That amount was for one month's worth of electricity. It seems that there are many more resident who have outrageuos bills and before any investigation is launched, the power company just shuts people power off.
I have been to the lady's house and the only thing that uses power of any magnitude is her refrigerator. They cook with gas and they have a fan to cool themselves off. Only in a Banana Republic.
The civil disobedience experienced in the middle east will soon spread to Dominican Republic if the politicians and others in positions of power continue to treat the poor as peasants. Then those idiot will be walking around scratching their heads wondering why people are so mad, that they want to march and turn to violence.
Many poor people are experienceing this as part of everyday life while the president goes to JORDAN. A lot of help that is going to do for the average Dominican.
But Dominican abroad have to share some of the blame. They need to raise their voices in protest of the Island's corruption, instead of just visiting with the latest hairdo, sneakers, clothes and a few hundred dollars just to let those remaining on the island know that they have made it. In fact they need to bear more of the responsibility to elevate the standard of living for the average Dominican.
This might seem as if it off track when it comes to a Power Company and a bill, but believe me it is all intertwined. It is foolishness like the antics of the power companies, realestate being unaffordable by most of the Dominican people, rents that consume half or more of Dominicans income, that is adding to frustration which is an explosive powder keg. All that will be needed is for a "ELECTRIFYING" dynamic individual to come along who will "SPARK" the people to revolt. A Chavez, a Castro and everyone will be wondering what happened, why are those Dominicans so mad?
Something has to be done in Dominica Rep. before it turns into a worse catastrophe than it already is.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Good post for a newbie, I agree with almost everything you've said.

Not to throw a wrench into the works, but I'm assuming [possibly incorrectly] that you don't live in DR? Any chance your friend is just trying to get you to send some money 'to pay the electric bill'?

Like you, I know there are people a lot more than one month in arrears. It also sounds like a very high bill for someone who only has a refrigerator running for a month.

AE

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Just wait until Hippolitto is president. He will make the current situation the good old days!!!!! Like the song goes "you aint seen nuthin yet!!!!

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Chances are your friend's neighbors have tapped into her electric also. When the electric is reconnected, have your friend switch off or unplug everything in her house and make then make sure the meter is not registering any usage.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
At the current rates that is a reasonable bill, especially with a refrigerator. Of course, if you sent her money to pay the bill, then I doubt that it was really cut off. Scams abound.

However, I do not give a d@mn! Those of us who pay are paying for over a million parasites that do not pay, and that is grating. Especially when you see that they are going to up the rates another 15 to 25% in a little over a month unless the people do something really radical. Like a nationwide boycott on paying their electricity bills. I mean everyone from the Ceverceria and Banco Popular and Lama, La Sirena all the way down to you and me.

If you do not pay in the states you do not have lights. If you do not pay for your calling cards, you cannot call. It is simple.

HB

AJL6767

Apr 14, 2011
Electric rates are very high for reasons..at least 25 % is lost because of problems in the transmissin lines...another 25 % is lost because many many people are tapped in illegaly ..that leaves us who pay to pay 100% for only 50 % of service. also the payroll of ther electric companies is bloated. It has been this way in the DR for years..

Britcouple

Aug 13, 2009
Well we haven't paid an electricity bill since we arrived here 18 months ago :) .........Hold on before you dive for the reply button, It's not like we had a cunning plan to avoid paying, we tried to register, we even had our lawyer and real eastate agent try to register us, answer.....nope,sorry, that village doesn't officially exist with the electricity company so no one there gets a bill for electricity!! Even though we have the official electricity company poles,transformers etc, the only thing no one has is a meter, and it has always been that way here so I found out.
The flip side of that is the supply is errrm, shall we say 'sporadic' to be kind, even on a good day. But I suppose it is one up to the customer complaints department as it is a little difficult to complain when you dont exist!! and I'm guessing but I doubt many of the locals want to complain while they are getting SOME free electricty.
My point is....don't jump to conclusions that because some people don't pay it's because they are stealing, some of us would pay but simply can't!!!! This is the DR after all, what would you expect? :)

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Aren't you the lucky ones Britcouple :)

We dared, oh dear, to dispute the bill of two months ago which was a ridiculous 10,000 RDS. Even had a very nice lady who is some kind of mediator help us with the dispute with edenorte which resulted in a compromise with us paying 30 % of that bill and the companies promise to check out the meter. It resulted in no one showing up to check the meter after two weeks but only one show up to cut us off. Went immediately to the office, took phone with us and had mediator on line...fat chance, unless we paid the full bill, the power staid off.
So we paid as we are living in a zone A and don't have an invertor (no need for it) so NO power at all with the promise of the company to check the meter in the upcoming month and the complaint for that invoice open, we could have a reduction on the next bill.
Previous month and this month bill is back to normal, around 4,500 RDS but we still need to solve that outstanding bill of 10,000...lovely, standing in line again for hours...it IS the DR after all :)

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
I have never had a bill of more than RD$1,150. Some peoples bills on here are very high, 7,8,9,000RD$ is just not necessary. A/C or not it is just excessive use!

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
our neighbour used to pay around 6,000 rds per month... 2 bedroom house, waterheater, american fridge, pool and airco. As his wife was pregnant, they ran the airco most of the day. Then they stole his meter, he reported this to Edenorte, who told him they were going to fix it, but had no meters available at the time. The next month his bill soared to 20,000... the following month 13,000, etc... Endless discussions with Edenorte and the mediator led to nothing, except a couple of dents in the Edenorte truck which came to shut him off. Solution as yet not in sight.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
I have never had a bill of more than RD$1,150. Some peoples bills on here are very high, 7,8,9,000RD$ is just not necessary. A/C or not it is just excessive use!

We do not have AC, only fans, not even a washing machine but those are the going rates in this area. I would love it to be less of course, who wouldn't.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
We pay around RD$4000 even after the rate increase. We have 3-4 computers running 24/7, fridge, water heater, water pump, a ton of outside lights, a washing machine and clothes dryer (gas heat) and a/c in the BR we run every night.

I don't consider that excess. We do keep it under 700kw.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
We pay around RD$4000 even after the rate increase. We have 3-4 computers running 24/7, fridge, water heater, water pump, a ton of outside lights, a washing machine and clothes dryer (gas heat) and a/c in the BR we run every night.

I don't consider that excess. We do keep it under 700kw.

On what you are running it seems quite good, especially if you are using a dryer which use lots of power, and A/C, seems quite reasonable. So what is with these bills I've read like 7and 8,9000RD$, I don't know how this is possible.

Criss Colon

Platinum
Jan 2, 2002
yahoomail.com
My Electric Bill was ONLY 16,000 Pesos This Month!

Down from 20,000 last month!
To the "OP", I hope they shut off everyones power!
After you really know the DR,you will to!
The Dominicans will never "Overthrow" their government,they are too depended on the handouts they recieve.
They just stay drunk,dance,eat,and make babies they can't,or wont support!
Thank you for sending your money!

CCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCCC

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I was talking to my friend last night and she told me that the power company had shut her mother's power off after a RD$ 2,500 was not paid. That amount was for one month's worth of electricity. It seems that there are many more resident who have outrageuos bills and before any investigation is launched, the power company just shuts people power off.
I have been to the lady's house and the only thing that uses power of any magnitude is her refrigerator. They cook with gas and they have a fan to cool themselves off. Only in a Banana Republic.
The civil disobedience experienced in the middle east will soon spread to Dominican Republic if the politicians and others in positions of power continue to treat the poor as peasants. Then those idiot will be walking around scratching their heads wondering why people are so mad, that they want to march and turn to violence.
Many poor people are experienceing this as part of everyday life while the president goes to JORDAN. A lot of help that is going to do for the average Dominican.
But Dominican abroad have to share some of the blame. They need to raise their voices in protest of the Island's corruption, instead of just visiting with the latest hairdo, sneakers, clothes and a few hundred dollars just to let those remaining on the island know that they have made it. In fact they need to bear more of the responsibility to elevate the standard of living for the average Dominican.
This might seem as if it off track when it comes to a Power Company and a bill, but believe me it is all intertwined. It is foolishness like the antics of the power companies, realestate being unaffordable by most of the Dominican people, rents that consume half or more of Dominicans income, that is adding to frustration which is an explosive powder keg. All that will be needed is for a "ELECTRIFYING" dynamic individual to come along who will "SPARK" the people to revolt. A Chavez, a Castro and everyone will be wondering what happened, why are those Dominicans so mad?

Something has to be done in Dominica Rep. before it turns into a worse catastrophe than it already is.

Never going to happen. Those people in Jordan and Syria are pro-active. They want to make their homeland better by their own hand. Everyone here just wants to leave...for Europe, North America, wherever so they can "make it rich" being a slave in another country or continent with no marketable job skills and except for Spain, Argentina and Peru, no language skills. They had a strike on Monday and that was that. If they wanted REAL results they would strike for a month. And not be bought off by talking political party heads that always blame the other side for the troubles.

karlheinz

Oct 2, 2006
my elec. bill in the capital averages about 1000 pesos / month. 2-3 fans, refrig, laptop computer on 24/7 usually, washing machine, inverter, lights. NO AC or elec. hot water though.

bochinche

Bronze
Jun 19, 2003
i am in the capital and my bill floats anywhere between rd$9,000 and rd$15,000.
nobody is nicking it......it's just that the family loves their a/c.
payment comes out of wife's budget and that suits me perfect.
every so often she hides the toaster and complains to edesur.......but she keeps that a/c going.
my wife is fantastic!!!

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
I was just beat out of $RD19000.00 electric bill for one month of consumption in Bavaro...they said they will send the money...yeah right.:mad::mad:..but I can follow recourse with tennant in the US being they reside on Miami and signed lease...but still s..cks I will have to spend more money....I was told the month prior that was paid consumed over $RD20000.00...had everything on 24/7 apparently...