Teaching Salaries

OtroGringo

Jul 16, 2011
Another teaching thread!

(I tried the search function, but didn't find exactly what I'm looking for... at least with current data.)

I am currently living in the DR. My wife has a good business here, but I'm not the type of person who can sit and do nothing for very long. Consequently, I started an aggressive job search, including teaching positions. I've received offers for work in the zona franca along with several teaching jobs for the next school year.

Teaching isn't the most lucrative of the options, but it would be satisfying for me.

But here's what I'm getting at: What is an average pay range for various settings to compare against the offers at hand. Obviously, the better offers are from private schools, not to mention better working environments... so that's what I'm more interested in hearing about.

Looking forward to any input.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Depends where you are. In Santo Domingo, I do believe that salaries are higher. Probably Santiago and Punta Cana might be next. All downhill from there. One school I know is offering RD$28,000 + housing and some other benefits. Others offer a bit more but no housing but a ticket home.

It varies.

HB

OtroGringo

Jul 16, 2011
Depends where you are. In Santo Domingo, I do believe that salaries are higher. Probably Santiago and Punta Cana might be next. All downhill from there. One school I know is offering RD$28,000 + housing and some other benefits. Others offer a bit more but no housing but a ticket home.

It varies.

HB

Thanks. That should serve as a helpful reference point. (I'm in Santo Domingo, by the way.)

I'd welcome any additional input from others.

gandolf50

Apr 17, 2011
My better half has a brother who is recent graduate and his first teaching job in a private school in the Dajabon area (the armpit of the country if you ask me) and earns $5k a month. She also has a aunt who teaches in public schools in the Santiago area who earns $10k a month. But she has been teaching since the stone age and from what I understand they earn more according to how many years they have in the system.

Mike_1233

Jun 29, 2011

It varies.

HB

Housing and a ticket aren't usually offered by the language institutes are they?

hemkk

Jul 14, 2011
Hey, gandolf50
Could you give me a heads up on the name of the schools. I have four years ESL experience and looking for a job. I don't know where to look.

El Vegano

Apr 20, 2006
Looking to teach English in La Vega

Are you talking TESOL here or general teaching? How's your Spanish? We plan to start an English school in La Vega this October or so. Maybe wouldn't mind a partner while getting started if that would interest you. After getting to know you, of course.

Hi! Sorry to butt in here but I reside in La Vega and would be interested in teaching English since I reside here. I lived in the States 30 years, studied there and have been fully bilingual my entire life. I got a job in the Dominican American 15 years ago but declined due to low salary and set up my own school at home in the countryside but after a year closed it down due to lack of interest of the ?students?. They all were gung ho at first because their friends were there too but with time lost interest since they saw it more as a social thing.

I would rather be in a set-up in town with a wider range of possibilities. Let me know what you are going to do and keep me in mind. Thanks.

Embargo Art

Sep 4, 2011
Are you talking TESOL here or general teaching? How's your Spanish? We plan to start an English school in La Vega this October or so. Maybe wouldn't mind a partner while getting started if that would interest you. After getting to know you, of course.

I'm game for some details......sounds good to me. I like La Vega as well.

mido

Bronze
May 18, 2002
A teacher at public schools (getting started) makes RD$45,000 per month, I am guessing that good private schools should pay more than that.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
A teacher at public schools (getting started) makes RD$45,000 per month, I am guessing that good private schools should pay more than that.
No... You must be mistaken. A teacher in a Dominican public school usually starts around 7500rd$/month... That is for one "tanda", from 8:00am to 12:30... This might go up to 1100 if many diplomas and years of labour...

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
A former teacher of Yris's just got a job in a public school teaching math ( high school) - 14,500 pesos per month. A newly hired teacher by Yris was working as a receptionist at the Catholic school - 6 days a week - 4200 pesos per month. Teacher's are not highly paid in the public system but it is a decent job - good security, pension plan, medical paid, subsidized loans,...etc.

Squat

Tropical geek in Las Terrenas
Jan 1, 2002
7500 go up to 1100? Did you mean up to 11000?
You are right, I made a typo... What I am meaning here is that if the teach has 2 "tandas", that is from 8:00am to 12:30 and then from 2:00pm to 5:30pm, he or she can then earn from 15000rd$ (7500x2) up to around 22000rd$...

Legally the teacher can only have 2 "tandas" in the Dominican public school system.

Alternatively, one of the "tandas" can be at night, from 6:00pm to 10:00pm... Teachers usually enjoy this one, as there are fewer hours, and whenever power is out, you can stay at home !!!

Bottom line is that a teacher will never make more than 22000rd$/month in the public system...

(I know some who teach 2 tandas, and then do night shift, saturday and sundays in private colleges, to earn more, but it is insane...)

mountainannie

Platinum
Dec 11, 2003
elizabetheames.blogspot.com
So I just came across this from the IDB... and it looks as if teachers salaries have gone down??? or the exchange rate has gone done? or what? because 410 is 15,000 or so..

http://www.ciedhumano.org/LOSMAESTROSENREPDOM1.pdf

El n?mero de liceos secundarios p?blicos con
laboratorios de computadoras pas? de cero en 1989 a 250 en 1999, previ?ndose llegar a 310
antes de agosto del 2000. El salario mensual de un maestro de escuela primaria p?blica aument?
de US$115 a US$410 en 1999.