Wreck Diving in Samana and Juan Dolio

Charles Pham

Jul 17, 2011
Hello,

I am trying to plan out my vacation and I want to do some wreck diving. It seems like the best places to do this is Bahia de Samana and Juan Dolio. I cant seem to find any dive shops on line to confirm availability. The best website for information is also not responding to my e-mails: Pirates Cove Dive Center - Saman?, Dominican Republic

Please help and offer advice!

Thank you!

-CP

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
As far as I am aware Pirates Cove does not exist any more. Juan Dolio has 3 wrecks, the Tanya at 30 metres and a half day excursion to two small wrecks in the La Caleta National Park, which is by the airport about 30 minutes away.

There is a dive school in Juan Dolio - Neptuno Dive, based at the Capella hotel, and also a small company H2Odiving -
H2O Diving - Dominican Republic scuba diving and PADI training

As well as wreck diving there is cave diving offered from Juan Dolio and some good reef dives - specifically at the Catalina National Marine Park - a full day excursion.

Sorry I can't help re Samana

Matilda

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
bayahibe

There is wreck dives available. The catamarans leave from Bayahibe. I went with a friend but
I know that the dive shops in the bavaro area use it. There are 2 wrecks from there, I was on
one of the dives in early April.
Bayahibe is the closest to Juan Dolio that I know of.

Charles Pham

Jul 17, 2011
Thats too bad Pirates Cove doesnt exisit anymore! They had the most informative website. Thank you for the tip on H2O that should cover me for my South Coast travels. What do think about staying in SD and taking a Taxi/Bus to Juan Dolio?

I dont know if I can make it to Bayahibe... I have a flight that leaves La Romana so I will probably check out an all inclusive on my last few days.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
You could stay in SD. It takes about an hour to Juan Dolio. A taxi would probably be around 70 US$ but you can go by bus for 100 RD$! You catch the bus from Park Enriquillo.

There are several all inclusives in Bayahibe and it is very close to La Romana airport so it would make sense to stay there for your last few days.

Matilda

Charles Pham

Jul 17, 2011
Yeah I was looking at that again yesterday and I think we will stay in Bayahibe on our last days. We are definately taking the bus to get around but the more I think about it the more I am leaning towards just staying in Juan Dolio the night before we dive..

Thank you for providing useful information!

shodgson

Nov 11, 2010
I am a Dive Master and work at Treasuer Divers in Boca Chica. I can tell you that there are three wrecks in proximity to Boca Chica...

The Catuan is a tug boat that was purposely sunk for artifical reef about 5 years ago. You can penetrate it and it is quite safe. This is considered a local dive by dive operators in Boca Chica. Its depth is between 18 meters and 23 meters. I like this wreck a lot.

La Caleta national park is home to two wrecks: The Hickory and El Limon. There was a third one, which was all wood and has long since broken up. La Caleta park is basically just west of the airport. That being said, it is an excursion from Boca Chica, which our company does do using our larger boat. It takes about 45 minutes to get to and you'd dive both of the wrecks.

Juan Dolio is not good for diving, as the visibility is a lot worse and the coral is much less developed than in Boca Chica. Surprisingly, once you get passed the barrier reef in Boca Chica, the water is quite clean and visibility is normally excellent.

If you have diving questions about the area, feel free to message me.

jonvelas

Jan 29, 2010
gosamana-dominicanrepublic.com
Wreck Diving in Samana, Dominican Republic

I believe that the PIRATE COVE DIVE CENTER is not in operation and is now closed.

We do have a good reputation PADI Dive Shop here in the Town of Samana who does some Wreck Diving.

Its called OZEANIC CARIBBEAN & H2O DIVING CENTER

Here is the link :
Scuba Diving in Samana, Dominican Republic - Dive Shop & Water Sports Center, Tour Operator in Samana Town, Scuba Diving in Samana with PADI Certified Instructors - H2O & Ozeanic Caribbean in Samana, Dominican Republic