Im thinking of moving to DR...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Maggie0517

Jul 17, 2011
I have been in Dominican about 5 times now and from what i have seen im really liking there. I know that visiting and living is two totally different things. Would someone who moved there be kind enough to post some good feedback on whats really like... I read posts here and everyone makes it look like its really unsafe there.... is it really???
Any thoughts would be great... Thank You..
Maggie

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
It is not unsafe, it is just very difficult, but if you are retired and have not to worry about an income then life can be very nice indeed. Safety is not really an issue though, only if you move to a place you hear is dangerous, then that is your fault. The police a useless and not as you may consider police, but keep your head down and life should be a breeze.
Just spend a long time and visit every area of the country before you decide where to settle.
good luck!

having said that, having lived here for quite some time and knowing what I do, it would certainly not be a place I would settle if prompted to do it again (you can hope it will get better/easier, but it doesn't), but you live and learn.

jackcrew

Aug 5, 2010
Curious

Anastacio, I am curious why you would not consider moving back here if you had to do it again. Would you elaborate?

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Anastacio, I am curious why you would not consider moving back here if you had to do it again. Would you elaborate?
Jack , where is "here" I'm not trying to be funny but I to have an interest in relocating and any knowledge I glean from these posts is helpful ( sometimes) lol I ask because I understand why Anastacio wants to leave but however curious as to where he would rather go.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Jack , where is "here" I'm not trying to be funny but I to have an interest in relocating and any knowledge I glean from these posts is helpful ( sometimes) lol I ask because I understand why Anastacio wants to leave but however curious as to where he would rather go.

Why do you answer on others' behalf?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Darling I have never been in Dominican. Is it like pain? Or trouble? Or something similar??? Really, I am curious.

Seriously, please use the Dominican Republic or the DR when referring to the country.

That said, I have been here for a long time and raised a family and I have enjoyed my life immensely. Maybe I am strange but it can be done if you do not continuously try to change things and constantly compare things here to things there. It does not work for you.

Also read up on what is called Culture Shock...it happens, and how you handle it will probably decide whether you can enjoy living here.

HB

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010

Ex pats who live here don't live like Dominicans, I think there is a very strong sign in that, they don't live like natives because life is generally pretty $hit for the average native.
When I move to a country I like the idea of embracing the culture, people, lifestyle, here it impossible, and so I see little point as there are just so many nagatives, the positives can never outweigh the negatives, by any stretch of the imagination.
I understand many live here so they can claim their thrown as someone who can look down on the people around them, it gets them off, but that just isn't me. I won't lower myself to the working class margin and I can never earn enough to be part of the upper class, so I have no place here. Just spent a lot of years drifting through somewhere in limbo, lol!!

I haven't even started on the basic problems with living here, just my none existent position within its society. You will find out how pathetic every service is when you try it for yourself.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I have been in Dominican about 5 times now and from what i have seen im really liking there. I know that visiting and living is two totally different things. Would someone who moved there be kind enough to post some good feedback on whats really like... I read posts here and everyone makes it look like its really unsafe there.... is it really???
Any thoughts would be great... Thank You..
Maggie

We have moved to the DR knowing we had a decent, regular income from our home country. We did and do not wish to live like the average DR citizen, neither did we expect to live in and be accepted by the DR high society. We moved here to live a relaxed and comfortable life, without the stress of where we came from.

Has it been easy? No, as you have to adapt to a different lifestyle. Things to accomplish take a lot longer, major service companies like the electricity and phone companies do not know what customer service means, you may not find all of those nice food stuffs you have at home and if you find them one time do stock up, as they will not be available for many months to come.

But is this why you are planning to move? We moved because of the relaxed life, the locals, the climate and the fauna and flora. Most of our friends are nationals here, both poor and rich. And we enjoy the company of both. We enjoy a day on the beach with the cooler and some nice cold beers, the mama juama, and some snacks as much as a dinner in a fancy restaurant.

It all depends on how you look at life and what you expect from it.

ffritz

Feb 7, 2008
www.gymbar.blogspot.com
We moved here to live in a free country ...

BUT

No matter how much money you think you will need to live the lifestyle you imagine you want to enjoy DOUBLE it!

Then factor in the irritations of unreliable power, internet, tradespeople & "professionals"(banks & lawyers) & consider if you can live with that.

If you think you can, then move here for a trial period - don't sever your links with your homeland - & see what Dominican life is really like.

If you're one of the lucky ones you will love this country as much as we do & NEVER want to leave!

Seamonkey

Bronze
Oct 6, 2009
Living here is no different than anywhere else...you have the good and the bad. The weather is the best, the beaches are beautiful, there is more freedom than back home, some things are really cheap, most people are nice. On the negative side you have the power issues, terrible customer service at most places, rising prices for food, petrol and electricity. The corruption to me is good and bad. I find that anywhere you live is a compromise, but so far living has been pretty great. Try it out and make sure to learn the language.

ctrob

Silver
Nov 9, 2006
who the hell are you ? the post police ?

You can pay your citation at Banca Reserva.

To Maggie, what's important? Beach? nightlife? other expats? everything within walking distance? Privacy?etc.
I would get as much advice as you can and pick a place to rent. Try it for a year and then decide.

Maggie0517

Jul 17, 2011
I am thinking of moving there coz i am tired of living in high pased society and i want more of laid back and quite life style. i grew up in poland in 80's. Years of cominizm so i know how hard life can be when you have to buy things you like when you see them and all that. im sure living in Dominican would be different but im sure its something to get used to. Im 30 and not quite retireing yet. (wish that would be the case). I have some friends that i met there some are local dominicans there (met their familiys and some r canadians that move there) and yes u r right some are very happy with their lifestyle and some not sooo much. but i also think thats just everywhere. i live in Ontario, Canada and im not quite happy here with the way things are. how hard is it to find a job for a canadian person?

Maggie0517

Jul 17, 2011
You can pay your citation at Banca Reserva.

To Maggie, what's important? Beach? nightlife? other expats? everything within walking distance? Privacy?etc.
I would get as much advice as you can and pick a place to rent. Try it for a year and then decide.

Yes it is definately my first choice of action. What i see when im there on vacation is not what the actual lifestyle is. Im sure of that. I did stay with one of my friends and his family for about 3 weeks and experianced true dominican life. And yes poverty trully existst there. Thats something you really can not avoid.
Is there areas of Dominican that ie: canadians settle more ???

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Hey Maggie,

Well first off, congrats on the big decision (well, almost :) ) to make the move! I agree with HillBilly in reading up on culture shock. I lived in Turks and Caicos, Mexico, the UK, and Martinique and of course the DR...nothing quite gave me the culture shock that the DR did! It's not to say it's all bad, in fact I lived there for some time and after 5 years away I'm now headed back to stay (I hope forever :) )

Visiting and living there are completely different things. I understand you have friends there, and you've visited their homes and experienced a tiny taste of 'authentic' DR life, but you need time to experience it all and make an informed decision.

In my take, things that you would enjoy are obvious are the beaches, the laid back life-style (now, that is a double-edged sword :) , the language, so many things...

Bear in mind, electricity, hot water, CLEAN water, creature comforts like internet, cable television, hot baths, etc....these are more luxuries here than anything else. If you get into a relationship with a Dominicano, you may find that you'll be treated differently than back at home in Canada (at least I did). With respect to Healthcare, I'd recommend ensuring you have good insurance coverage and a private clinic...

As for Canadians, I lived in Cabarete and I know there were a fair deal of Canadians living there, as well as Puerto Plata area (Sosua, POP, Cabarete) and now...Cabrera! :) Others would have more advice for you, too!

I'm blabbing on, but really what I want to say is if you are able to take a sabbatical for say, one year, that would give you a perfect opportunity to explore the DR and lifestyle and make an informed decision if you want to stay! May I ask what kind of work you'd hope to do there? That'd help you also choose where best to settle! Good luck!

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I've been in Dominican (love) many times....Let's suppose that Maggie0517 is not senile (born in 05/17??) or suffering from penis whipping at the "hands" of a sanky. Let's say that she really wants to give the place a try. What would you recommend?

1) Read up on the place
2) Figure out finances--it costs a fair amount to live a Dominican middle class existence, and even more so if that is to be carried out in a beach community like Cabarete or Sos?a.
3) Realize that not everything will go according to plan--see Culture Shock
4) Go really slow on every decision. Calculate like a venture capitalist shark...look out for who is going to profit if you do X or Y.
5) Learn the language afap. Do not worry about getting it perfect. Just so you can understand them and they can understand you.
6) Always have a fall back plan. A Plan B or even a Plan C.
7) You have been advised to have a health plan. That is good, very good advice. But like most computer problems can be solved by rebooting, most ills can be solved here by taking a few aspirins and getting fluids and rest. Just be careful of what and where you eat. (And need I say it? Who you....)

HB

Status
Not open for further replies.