Puerto Chiquito

mommacat

Apr 12, 2005
Does anyone have any information about this area? Have heard that it is not a very safe place and one should avoid the area. I believe it is a short walk into Sosua.

Camden Tom

Bronze
Dec 1, 2002
It's a nice piece of property and if a serious developer took over, it could be extraordinary. In it's current condition, I would stay away at any price.

alexdr

Aug 19, 2010
Had a friend Frank who owned a home there a few years ago. He is now deceased. While living there with his Dominican wife, they were robbed, bound and gagged in a chair, while the house was ransacked of all valuables. This unfortunately happened on 2 separate occasions by hatians, he said. Machetes were held to their throats. Police were alerted both times. No one ever implicated in either crime. What a surprise! I would stay away!!! Enough said!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Does anyone have any information about this area? Have heard that it is not a very safe place and one should avoid the area. I believe it is a short walk into Sosua.

Are you sure that it is Puerto Chiquito that you are looking at? It is not a short walk into Sosua. Over 2 miles on the main road that I would not like to walk. Not a safe place to live.

You could Google Earth a find Altos de Jalisco. Puerto Chiquito is on the other side/ocean side/ of the main road. The photo has some clouds over part of the area. The "marker" for Sosua is not in the correct location. The "marker" El Batey is in Sosua.

Perhaps you are thinking of Playa Chiquita? The "marker" is a little off here too. About .75 miles to downtown and is a nice walk. Safe area to live and walk.

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
If you buy there you will not sell it. Had a friend who made that mistake and did not have the money to go back to GB and could not sell his house. Trapped and not the first one. Beautiful house too!

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Same advice here as on the other board that you posted this question.
No it is not walking distance to Sosua or it's beaches
No it is not the safest of areas.
Be careful

Bob K

mommacat

Apr 12, 2005
Ok I did not sleep a wink last night thinking about this. The ad which is posted under rentals on DR1 states it is in a gated community etc. We have already wired the deposit. Am just in an agitated and distressed state. I know buyer beware and all that but is it really as bad as most of you say? Was tired of doing the AI so thought this would be a great alternative. When we have stayed at the AI's we would pay to have our local friends come in but they had to leave by.....This way we thought we would be able to have them stay longer without having them have to rush off etc. Also we did not spend a lot of time at the resort as we were "out and about" visiting friends scattered in the POP area. "Dear Abby-what to do, what to do" Signed Freakin Out

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Let?s see if a better understanding can be learned.

Your first and original post was about the Puerto Chiquito area that you then learned had some problems. ?not a very safe place and one should avoid the area.? ?I believe it is a short walk into Sosua.?

Second post:
"Ok I did not sleep a wink last night thinking about this. The ad which is posted under rentals on DR1 states it is in a gated community etc. We have already wired the deposit. Am just in an agitated and distressed state. I know buyer beware and all that but is it really as bad as most of you say? Was tired of doing the AI so thought this would be a great alternative. When we have stayed at the AI's we would pay to have our local friends come in but they had to leave by.....This way we thought we would be able to have them stay longer without having them have to rush off etc. Also we did not spend a lot of time at the resort as we were "out and about" visiting friends scattered in the POP area. "Dear Abby-what to do, what to do" Signed Freakin Out "

You don?t know where you are renting or buying? Which is it?

What ad on DR1 rentals? Send to Robert only in a PM. I looked a little? very little and found nothing.

How much was your deposit, what was the full price and what was included? You don't give any detail at all.

Why after the fact are you asking the questions? Not much, if anything, can be done now.

Sorry, but talk about a person that has "been" here before and out and about from an AI with locals living here, good friends ect?. but learned nothing? (Just going with the new flow of not being so nice.)

TO Robert: A check system for real estate for rent or for sale might be a nice plus. ?DR1 approved listing.?

In line with the new trend here on DR1... Not sorry and no sympathy here. I do wonder where some of these people come from.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
Hey, I just tried to help this person, don't know when the deposit has been done but you never know and can try.

For the rest I can agree with Ringo...how can some people give away money on a property you have never seen, not knowing where it is located...beats me too.

What DR1 is concerned, I don't know. Is it their job to do a quality inspection of the rentals offered in the Classifieds?

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
Hey, I just tried to help this person, don't know when the deposit has been done but you never know and can try.

For the rest I can agree with Ringo...how can some people give away money on a property you have never seen, not knowing where it is located...beats me too.

What DR1 is concerned, I don't know. Is it their job to do a quality inspection of the rentals offered in the Classifieds?

I will not speak for DR1 nor can I. I was simply pointing out a tool that could help. A "DR1" inspected property approved for rent with everything confirmed ad might be an option.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Agreed, before sending $$ someone should ask questions here. I realize that doesn't help the OP at this point. It's also a shame she didn't ask any of the friends she socializes with on the north coast, they probably would have been able to guide her.

We were renovating our house, and needed to rent an apartment in Santo Domingo for a month, and found the perfect place in the DR1 rentals. I asked if anyone had been there, and got a PM from someone who had stayed there, and answered all my questions. Then we asked my brother-in-law to check out the neighborhood. After all that, I sent our deposit. The place was ideal for us.

AE

mommacat

Apr 12, 2005
Ok, Just a thank you to all who responded-I appreciate your responses. The facts- Found the listing on DR1 Real Estate sub-rentals, not holding DR1 accountable-it is JUSt a forum, opinions etc. Looking at the ad it sounds great, almost too good to be true hence I did do some checking. Turns out it was the old Tropica/ana del Sur. Hence the sewer Sosua/Sewer connection. Apparently old news dating back to 2004-7 posts-all good now. Nothing about safety concerns. E-mailed owner "Marcelle"-all Ok, corrected a year or so ago. Nothing mentioned about safety. Had a friend who is currently working living in Sosua/POP area and has been for the last 15 years. She has visited the premises within the last 2 weeks and saw nothing of major concern. Of course she does not live in an AI or "gated community" per se and found it to be within her personal boundaries. It was clean and comfortable. Which is what we want. Security is however very important as my very good friend I am sure I feel I can trust her judgement, but... I know she has been living in the DR for so long that perhaps her views are not the same as mine when it comes down to it.

I am not one of you- I am just a traveller looking for a safe environment in a country I love. I am not one of your "clique" nor seek to be one. I looked to this website as a guide and for helpful advice. Your advice has been helpful for the most part but I do feel I did do my research as much as I could do given my vantage point and have been reprimanded for being naive and stupid. Again, I believe I did do as much research as possible given the circumstances, and what if I did not have any connections to the DR or had never been? You have made me feel I am not worthy to even ask any question with regards to the DR if it seems silly to you. This is a dream holiday for me and yes the best part is we will have a wonderful time and/if all is as the ad states, the least worst-we are out $500.00, the worst are our throats are slit and we become another statistic of a "Dream Vacation in the Dominican Republic".

I have decided to contact the owner directly and point blank ask the major questions- Will he answer honestly? Or is he just another one out to make the quick buck? He already has our $500.00 deposit, so I am sure he will say all is well. Until we get there we will not really know for sure. Oh there is one idea, would any of you care to check it out for us? I am sure we can arrange a Bohemian or alternative/dinner for you.

Warmest regards, Cat

Tor

Bronze
Jan 1, 2002
I know 3 different people living there, and they seems very happy about it. When thats said, I wouldn't buy a house there myself.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
OK... a few things: First, I'm not familiar with the area, so I can't comment on security there, but wish you good luck with it. Second, as a veteran of many online forums and the internet in general, I'll suggest that you don't take personally ANYTHING ANYBODY says online; (this could be a thread in itself, but people have a way of engaging their mouths/keyboards before putting their brains into gear). Take the good advice and ignore the rest of the comments. Third, if one exercises due caution, they can live almost anywhere in relative safety, (to my dismay, for a year during college, my daughter lived in one of the worst neighborhoods of Philadelphia.. I mean it was BAD, (and I'm a city boy born and bred, so am comfortable in city living); but that place made ME nervous -- and she made out fine.) This might not be a dream setting or your ideal vacation, but the chances that you'll have your throats cut is pretty slim. Enjoy your vacation and the D.R. :)