best internet provider in Bavaro area? please advice!

rubenpriego

Feb 28, 2011
Hey my friends! one more question.
Internet wifi in my future condominium, how to say it, s..cks a bit ... no way to trust it. No way to have 24h service and its cuts are really long ones.
I think I will have to spend extra money getting an extra private connection for my apartment.
So I really need a good provider, I cannot be without internet for long time during the day due to professional matters. Speed is not the key factor, it is being able to be connected 24h if possible ...
Any light through this really dark matter? ;)
Cheers!

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Can't say Tricom is bad, have two "Wimax" from them, sometimes they have a "little hickup", like every two weeks, but besides that very reliable. Orange works superb, too. (That is in Pueblo Bavaro).

Whippet

Jan 26, 2011
glad this topic came up was just going to ask the same question
can anyone suggest the cost? do they do unlimited download here?

cheers all, also any advice on cable/satiliete tv??

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
The Orange Net Hogar (Flybox) has different plans, the best is with 25 GB download cap, cost me like 2,000 RD$ / month. The tricom I have has unlimited DL and cost 2,000 RD$ / month. But Orange is faster. Tricom is 2 mb down / 768 up. They promised to double up speeds in DR, but it has not yet arrived here in Bavaro.

Whippet

Jan 26, 2011
Cheers Mike
been researching abit and looks like in Cocotal where I am moving Tricom is the Sat TV provider so maybe packaging with Interet is best

Do u know if they offer a internet/Tv package??
also what length of contract u need to go on?

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
Tricom is unlimited, you can stop anytime (I've heard you would have to go to (was it?) La Romana or SDQ to cancel, but I don't care since the service in my experience is good). I don't know w/ TV though (even didn't know they offer the service in Cocotal). Maybe its "sky" and "claro"? Never heard that tricom offers Sat - TV...

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
Cheers Mike
been researching abit and looks like in Cocotal where I am moving Tricom is the Sat TV provider so maybe packaging with Interet is best

Do u know if they offer a internet/Tv package??
also what length of contract u need to go on?

Claro has the package you are looking for. Internet, landline phone, and cable TV. Cost with all tax is 3490 rd per month. Take the 1.5 down package and you should get at least double the speed. But you need to see if your apt. is wired for this. It is unlimited and works well, also you get wireless with it. Make sure you secure it though.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
SKY, is that 3,490 RD$ including taxes? And they doubled up the velocity for that package, too?

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
SKY, is that 3,490 RD$ including taxes? And they doubled up the velocity for that package, too?

That is what I pay every month. I have a place here that I use from time to time, and as I said it works well. Also if you want you can PM me if you take it, as I have a guy that works for Claro that can get it installed reasonably fast and make sure it works like it should.

caribmike

Gold
Jul 9, 2009
So what is the velocity then? 3 or 4 mb?

I would have to get rid of one of my two wimax first, but after that I will for sure get in touch with you. Thanks a lot :)

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
One more thing, that price is for two TV's. One would be less. You also get some free phone call minutes with this plan.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
We've lived without a landline for 3 years now - but have always had internet. Started off with the now-defunct Bectel, then endured the Claro nightmare and now - Orange Net Hogar.

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
We've lived without a landline for 3 years now - but have always had internet. Started off with the now-defunct Bectel, then endured the Claro nightmare and now - Orange Net Hogar.

But you had it with a dongle or whatever they call it, right? If you want a DSL line from Claro you need a phone.

Chirimoya

Dec 9, 2002
Claro was with a dongle, yes. Bectel was with an outdoor aerial + wi-fi and Orange has an indoor wireless receiver and transmitter called a flybox.

Whippet

Jan 26, 2011
Finally got internet
went to orange and was going to get the Net Hoger on recommendation
but turns out they have a new device a wi fi hot spot for the same price
unlimited download for about 1900 per month
works well but had to find the right place in the house to put it
and can connect up to 5 computers