Modem/Wi-Fi Router for Codetel ADSL

Status
Not open for further replies.
Jan 17, 2009
We need to replace our modem/router for our Codetel ADSL. The one we have, which we got through Codetel years ago, is not only old but not very good. Wi-Fi is not working properly any longer.

We'd like to order one from the US, hopefully one with an 802.11N. Can anyone recommend a good brand and model that it is easily configurable for Codetel ADSL? Thanks

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
My Codetel Modem died and Codetel replaced it with a Thomson 580 Modem/Router for the unbelieveable price of 39 pesos for 6 payments, total cost of $234 pesos.

The POINT to remember is to call Tech support and let them tell you the modem is bad, then at the Codetel office tell them you need a replacement modem as the TECH guy said yours is BAD....

Thus the LOW replacement cost......

In reality, I had gone to Codetel to BUY a new one and the girl asked if the Technician said mine was bad, I SAID "YES" ......

The Thomson 580 is b/g/n according to some specs I read.

Jan 17, 2009
Thanks, I'll give it a try, but our modem works, it's just the wi-fi that works intermittently.

By the way, the Thompson 580 was top of the line in 2005! The specs I just found say it is a "g". Gosh, how do they manage to sells us equipment that is so outdated even if it is for little money.

Bryanell

Bronze
Aug 9, 2005
My Codetel Modem died and Codetel replaced it with a Thomson 580 Modem/Router for the unbelieveable price of 39 pesos for 6 payments, total cost of $234 pesos.

The POINT to remember is to call Tech support and let them tell you the modem is bad, then at the Codetel office tell them you need a replacement modem as the TECH guy said yours is BAD....

Thus the LOW replacement cost......

In reality, I had gone to Codetel to BUY a new one and the girl asked if the Technician said mine was bad, I SAID "YES" ......

The Thomson 580 is b/g/n according to some specs I read.

Yup, that's how I got mine

SantiagoDR

The "REAL" SantiagoDR
Jan 12, 2006
Thanks, I'll give it a try, but our modem works, it's just the wi-fi that works intermittently.

By the way, the Thompson 580 was top of the line in 2005! The specs I just found say it is a "g". Gosh, how do they manage to sells us equipment that is so outdated even if it is for little money.

The latest specs shows it is b/g/n.

I am using it wireless right now and the connection is via "n".
The original ones were b/g only probably.

Click this link: Thomson TG580

Jan 17, 2009
Great! I was looking at just the STS585 which is the one we have now. The TG580 is a much modern router! Thank you so much for posting the model number and specs. I'm calling Codetel right now!

SKY

Gold
Apr 11, 2004
If you take your old modem to the office in Puerto Plata they should take it and give you a new one. The did it for me once.

Jan 17, 2009
Thanks, Sky, but no luck here. We called CODETEL, they came over, said that our router (the older Thompson model) was out of warranty, and if we wanted a new one will have to pay full price. BUT the technician added that the new model Thompson modem/router is actual worse than the previous model in terms of a good Wi-Fi signal, that we would be better off just buying another brand somewhere else. Still looking for a decent ADSL modem/Wi-fi Router that's not over $100.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Thanks, Sky, but no luck here. We called CODETEL, they came over, said that our router (the older Thompson model) was out of warranty, and if we wanted a new one will have to pay full price. BUT the technician added that the new model Thompson modem/router is actual worse than the previous model in terms of a good Wi-Fi signal, that we would be better off just buying another brand somewhere else. Still looking for a decent ADSL modem/Wi-fi Router that's not over $100.

Would you be able to just add a wireless router to the current DSL modem and ignore the wireless signal from the modem? If so that would be the least expensive solution to getting wireless working again.

Status
Not open for further replies.