Cadmis - a school for very poor local children in sosua abajo

SARAH KATZ

Jul 20, 2011
The school for c 40+ children provides food and education for very poor local children from kindergarden to young adults. Many of the children are unable to attend the public schools as they lack basic equipment but the school caters for all seeking, and hungry for, education over and above what the local schools can offer.
Nutrition is the key to learning and the school feeds all the pupils daily, depending on resources, and provides education in French, Spanish and English across the curriculum.
The main needs are for food and educational resources from rice and vegetables to pencils and exercise books (textbooks/readers too!) and backpacks plus clothing/shoes (to enable them to attend school).
Volunteers are also needed for both teaching and to help out and we are currently seeking premises (the current house is in very bad repair and floods - the rainy season is coming:()
If you can help in any way the local contacts are Keith Watson (at Watson Homes opposite the Banco Popular) and the Jolly Roger (in the main street) both in Sosua town. If you want more info please email me on sarahkatz1@hotmail.com.
All/anything will be much appreciated/well-used and everything donated goes directly to the school/pupils.

AlterEgo

Administrator
Staff member
Jan 9, 2009
South Coast
Sounds like a good venture, I hope you receive some contributions. From time to time people post on DR1 that they're bringing school supplies, books, etc., and want to know where to donate them.

AE

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Hi Sarah,

I will be arriving in the DR as of this Friday, and would love to be able to contribute...we'll be living in Cabrera, but I would be so happy to make a trip back up to Sosua once we're settled. Does the school also offer any Summer programs?
My fianc? is a carpenter, and he'll be shipping his tools down very soon; perhaps he and you could arrange to consult and he might be able to help with some of the minor repairs at no charge...your cause is such a good one, and we will be so happy to help any way we can!

Let's stay in touch...I will be back in contact once we've arrived to see how we can help!
Wishing you so much luck,
Anna

SARAH KATZ

Jul 20, 2011
Anna, that's great - I'm away from the DR at the moment - let me know when you're there and and I'll be happy to give you details of my co-project workers :) My email is sarahkatz1@hotmail.com - the easiest way to reach me and for us to contact the others!

Empiric

Apr 24, 2013
The school for c 40+ children provides food and education for very poor local children from kindergarden to young adults. Many of the children are unable to attend the public schools as they lack basic equipment but the school caters for all seeking, and hungry for, education over and above what the local schools can offer.
Nutrition is the key to learning and the school feeds all the pupils daily, depending on resources, and provides education in French, Spanish and English across the curriculum.
The main needs are for food and educational resources from rice and vegetables to pencils and exercise books (textbooks/readers too!) and backpacks plus clothing/shoes (to enable them to attend school).
Volunteers are also needed for both teaching and to help out and we are currently seeking premises (the current house is in very bad repair and floods - the rainy season is coming:()
If you can help in any way the local contacts are Keith Watson (at Watson Homes opposite the Banco Popular) and the Jolly Roger (in the main street) both in Sosua town. If you want more info please email me on sarahkatz1@hotmail.com.
All/anything will be much appreciated/well-used and everything donated goes directly to the school/pupils.

please read your PM

SARAH KATZ

Jul 20, 2011
PROJECT complete - successful and closed :)

Current Project =

https://www.facebook.com/pages/Cane-Cutters-Rural-Village-School-Education-Project/308492842528375

Once again happily Jolly Roger supported and donations of either educational materials or non-perishable food-stuffs always needed and very welcome, much appreciated and well-utilised!!! Drop-offs as before, the BookNook (by Checkpoint) Watson Homes (opposite Banc Popular) or a short-term option to Don Andreas (near Casa Marina) on Tuesday afternoons where the Jolly Roger Charity Bingo continues pending it's much anticipated return to it's real home on Pedro Clissante.

P.S. if you have any donations that don't 'fit' we promise to find them a good and needy home - recent ones noted on the FB site are a mother/baby clinic, a baseball team - and many others in need -> nothing gets wasted!!

Any queries etc -> sarahkatz1@hotmail.com