Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: Entering DR with a criminal record

Post Thanks / Like

Default Entering DR with a criminal record

I have a misdemeanor on my record for possession of a controlled substance. I was on probation for 6 months. Would this stop me from entering the DR? My fiance and I are going on vacation and I just want to make sure I'll be able to enter.

I got my passport after the conviction. I was denied access to Canada because of the conviction which makes me worry.

Thanks,

VanillaGorilla

Post Thanks / Like

I have been searching other posts and it looks good for me being able to enter the country.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Correct, if you have a passport and pay the $10 bucks you enter.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

You should be OK to enter...just a little word of advise is stay away from controlled substances while in The DR, cause down there you're not going to get probation but go straight to a Dominican jail...a place you definitely DO NOT want to be at.

5. Likes Bronxboy, augustus, Harleysrock liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

When you were denied entry into Canada, how did the officials find out about your drug conviction?

When you enter the DR, the first step is to give your passport to an immigration officer in a booth. Although you cannot see what he is doing, it is obvious that he is checking the passport against something. He doesn't just take it and stamp it, he takes it into the booth and down to desk level. When he is satisfied after doing whatever he does, he stamps the passport.

If you and your passport are on some sort of official list that is available to authorities internationally, you may have a problem entering the DR.

I am wondering if the posters who say you will not have a problem are really sure of that. If so, I would be interested in knowing what the immigration officer checks the passport against before stamping it.

7. Likes Bronxboy liked this post
    Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Canada takes a different of DUI's and controlled substance offences..... they are Federal crimes in Canada, just state offence on USA.

The border boys share a lot of Can/Am info.

My Cdn friend was almost denied a Maryland driver's license 10 years ago.............. over an unpaid speeding ticket in Maine which occurred in the 1960's - pre computers

Big brother is watching.....

9. Likes Harleysrock liked this post
    *** Sin Bin ***
    Post Thanks / Like

Default I have done time

I have done time in Europe, I was on an Interpol search and capture list.

I was detained in Spain and in the end asked to be extradited back the country who had the search and capture out. Had the Colombian equivalent of FBI looking for me in Colombia contacting all my friends and ex-family after I had left Colombia.

I have done my time yet I am invited in for a chat with the Colombian FBI every time I arrive and depart any airport in Colombia.

However, the 6-7 trips I have made to DR the last 4 years I have had no troubles or inquisition with the Immigration officers at all so I guess you wont either and I believe the only reason why the Colombians has an eye on me is because the matter I was involved in had to do with Colombian citizens.

Have a nice trip

Banned
    Post Thanks / Like

Default All Are Welcome

Quote Originally Posted by eldanes View Post
    I have done time in Europe, I was on an Interpol search and capture list.
    However, the 6-7 trips I have made to DR the last 4 years I have had no troubles or inquisition with the Immigration officers
    I believe you.

donP

12. Likes kampinge liked this post
    Dislikes Tamborista disliked this post
    Post Thanks / Like

Trust me, I won't be messing with any controlled substances. I wasn't here either, but my brother left them in my truck when I pulled over for speeding. They searched my vehicle cause I was drinking. Of course they were in a baggy so I was screwed.

Canada seems much more strict. They just happened to give me a random search because it was my first time to Canada and they weren't busy. Canada explained that they take whatever is on your record and apply it to their laws.

I'm curious as well if other posters are sure I'll get in. I've seen a lot of other people say that there won't be a problem unless I'm wanted.

Gold
    Post Thanks / Like

Travel via Punta Cana, go among the group of many travelers (peak time) and your big chances are your passport check will consist of comparing your passport photo to you standing there, having your passport stamped and handed over.

Page 1 of 18 12311 ... LastLast