Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: Entering DR with a criminal record

Platinum
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by VanillaGorilla View Post

I've seen a lot of other people say that there won't be a problem unless I'm wanted.
    And that may be what is being checked on.

But you have to wonder about the screening process. I recall a couple of times in the past year when there were well publicized arrests in Cabarete and elsewhere of people on the Interpol wanted list. How did they get in the country in the first place?

The only real way to find out is to get on that plane with your girl friend. Most likely all will go well, providing you aren't so nervous about getting in that you give the immigration officer cause to be suspicious. And since you are not wanted, the worst thing that can happen is to be put on the plane and sent back.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

If you really want to be sure, check with the State Department to be sure that any hold placed on your passport during your period of bail, parole or probation has been removed. They are quick to place the holds, slow to remove them.
    U.S. Department of State
    Passport Services
    Office of Law Enforcement Liaison
    1111 19th Street, NW
    Washington, D.C. 20522-1705
    Phone: (202) 955-0447
    Fax: (202) 955-0288

Passport Information for Criminal Law Enforcement Officers

3. Likes Bronxboy liked this post
    Regular
    Post Thanks / Like

you should be fine. A friend of mine has the same type of conviction, only from Canada, and he's been in and out of the country several times without a problem at all.

Post Thanks / Like

At belmont, I didn't get the passport until after the charge....4 years after. So I don't think I'd have any holds on it.

I'm leaving next Friday so hopefully I won't run into any issues!

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

All that will go against you is if you have outstanding warrants for your arrest, if you are on bail, or if you are on parole (in which case you can still leave in certain circumstances). Apart from the Parole, the same applies when making an application for residency. As long as there are no outstanding warrants, no time to serve etc you are fine to go.
    As far as the passport check goes, I think they are only doing basic checks to see whether it is a fake or not, there are basic screen/light tests they do for different passports. This is why some people get through quickly, and some a little more time. The new electronic passports go through and are checked quickly, someone with an 8 year old Bulgarian tatty passport or an unusual passport needs to be looked at more as he needs time to find the basic checks for that particular passport.

As far as you entering goes, you will not be bothered.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by Givadogahome View Post
    . Apart from the Parole, the same applies when making an application for residency. As long as there are no outstanding warrants, no time to serve etc you are fine to go.
    You're saying that even if the Certificate of Good Conduct from your home country indicates a past conviction, no problem for Residencia???????

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Quote Originally Posted by belmont View Post
    You're saying that even if the Certificate of Good Conduct from your home country indicates a past conviction, no problem for Residencia???????
    For the most part yes (obviously I can only go off experience and through others experiences I know and what the lawyers opinion is), obviously certain significant cases may differ the outcome, but for your average joe with a few insignificant convictions it doesn't make much odds. Have you been advised differently?

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

For the most part yes (obviously I can only go off experience and what the lawyers opinion is), obviously certain significant cases may differ the outcome, but for your average joe with a few insignificant convictions it doesn't make much odds. Have you been advised differently?
    Had an employee we brought from the US. When our Dominican company attorney saw that he had a previous conviction (4th degree posession, served probation) 5 years previously, he advised us not to waste time and money applying for Residencia for him. We kept him on the US payroll and off the Dominican books.

Silver
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that is harsh. Not the experience I have experienced at all. I know a hand full of people who have insignificant convictions and are residents. My lawyers told me as there was nothing outstanding that there should be no issue, as long as the something was only a 'something' not a 'SOMETHING'. Different experience there Belmont.

Bronze
    Post Thanks / Like

Wow, that is harsh. Not the experience I have experienced at all. I know a hand full of people who have insignificant convictions and are residents. My lawyers told me as there was nothing outstanding that there should be no issue, as long as the something was only a 'something' not a 'SOMETHING'. Different experience there Belmont.
    You may be right. Our attorney may have been over-cautious. We just saved the money and kept him under the radar.

Page 2 of 19 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast