Another divorce

jcol488

Aug 11, 2010
Married in the DR 10 months ago. Spouse has no desire to come to the U.S. and the Visa process never started. I am living in Puerto rico. No documentation in the U.S of my marriage. I would like to get a divorce in the DR. I would think that I will be subect to the Dr divorce rulings. I am prepared to attain an attorney there. I think that with her being money grubbing that she will try to get some sort of alimony or monetary settlement. Does she have rights for such a ruling in the Dr laws? No property. No kids. No love. I have just been a wallet for her. Can someone tell me what I may be faced with?

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
Humm, you could just "fuggetaboutit" and go on your merry way. But to be safe, get a good lawyer and send the woman a few hundred pesos for her work...$100 a month should not bother you..

HB

donP

Dec 14, 2008
Dear Lesson

Hop on the ferry and get a divorce. As far as I know one can get one with even only one spouse present.
Will cost you, but you learn a lot in exchange.

donP

My Dominican wife obtained a multiple entry tourist visa to the U. S.
That explains....

Last edited:

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
unfortunaltey it sounds like you will be faced with a lot of RED tape, and mooola....sorry for your loss???and good luck to you and your wallet....

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Married in the DR 10 months ago. Spouse has no desire to come to the U.S. and the Visa process never started. I am living in Puerto rico. No documentation in the U.S of my marriage. I would like to get a divorce in the DR. I would think that I will be subect to the Dr divorce rulings. I am prepared to attain an attorney there. I think that with her being money grubbing that she will try to get some sort of alimony or monetary settlement. Does she have rights for such a ruling in the Dr laws? No property. No kids. No love. I have just been a wallet for her. Can someone tell me what I may be faced with?
I agree with HB's FUGGETABOUTIT. Why pay her anything. I'm sure you can get an Attorney down here to get you a divorce without her even knowing about it. If you have been living full time with her, that's another story.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
She doesnt need to be present for you to get a divorce. But you do. If you are in PR then fly over for a few days. Use Guzman because most of the other lawyers are incompetent and just like to suck you dry if you let them. You call him up tell him what you want to do, send him some money to get started on it and then when the papers are drawn up, fly over for a week and wrap it up. The ex Mrs? Who cares about her, she doesnt have to know anything until you send her the final paperwork.

She only saw you as a wallet you say? How odd, how long did you know her before you decided to tie the knot? And how come you never told her these things?

jcol488

Aug 11, 2010
Hop on the ferry and get a divorce. As far as I know one can get one with even only one spouse present.
Will cost you, but you learn a lot in exchange.

donP

That explains....

Unfortunately, This issue about her obtaining a tourist visa was another pack of her lies and deceptions. Now she says that is was a B1 B2 visa that was obtained with an invitation. And she did not use it to visit me. Just more reasons for me to end my relations with her. But I want some knowledge about what I am faced with before I proceed full throttle.

jcol488

Aug 11, 2010
No. I have been in Puerto Rico and I travel there every 2 or 4 weeks to stay. I want to proceed with knowledsge so I am not taken to the cleaners when I did not have too.

jcol488

Aug 11, 2010
I knew her around 8 months before marriage. After the marriage things changed as always. Needed more money from month to month for this that or the other. She continued to make herself more and more comfortable there at my expense. And was relating to me to move there because she did not want to leave DR and come here. I do not understand your question of why I never told her these things. What things. But the advise for Mr Guzman sounds solid. Thanks.

jcol488

Aug 11, 2010
What do you mean send her a few hundred pesos a month for her work? I am still supporting her at this point but after the divorce I think that I owe her NADA.

jcol488

Aug 11, 2010
original question. Does any one know if I will have legal obligations under DR law to pay support that she can try to obtain from the divorce?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
original question. Does any one know if I will have legal obligations under DR law to pay support that she can try to obtain from the divorce?

I do not know but I am sorry on the loss of your marriage, sounds like you cared about her. If she got a VISA, tourist, B2, whatever, and didn't use it to go see you, she sounds skank and you don't need her.
Good luck, I good she doesn't hit your pockets too hard.

SHALENA

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011

Once you are divorced you owe her nothing. If you have common property or bank accounts in the DR then she'll get her share. Doing a Dominican divorce is not that difficult and a Guzman can hook u up. She has no legal standing to do anything to you in the USA or PR. Get it done quick and gone. Next time leave before you feel the love bug coming on. Or use the HB rules.

jcol488

Aug 11, 2010
Once you are divorced you owe her nothing. If you have common property or bank accounts in the DR then she'll get her share. Doing a Dominican divorce is not that difficult and a Guzman can hook u up. She has no legal standing to do anything to you in the USA or PR. Get it done quick and gone. Next time leave before you feel the love bug coming on. Or use the HB rules.

HaHaHaHaHa HB Rules?????????

Lolitula

Mar 16, 2011
Hi Jcol, I'm so sorry about your divorce. I agree, you should speak to Mr. Guzman, but on another note I too was married to a Dominican in the DR and came back to Canada. We did have a child together, but he wasn't really prepared to be a daddy...

Anyway, I can't comment as much on US divorce laws, however in Canada it was extremely simple to obtain an 'uncontested divorce'. I filled out the paperwork and just fed-exed it to him for his signature, then I was present at the courthouse to submit the files, pay the very small fees, and voila, about 2 months later we were granted a divorce (and I got court-ordered sole custody of our daughter. No problems, no pain, nothing...

Best of luck with it all, but don't worry or stress at all...it's easier than you think. I'm sorry for the problems you're facing...keep us posted!

Eddy

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
Hi Jcol, I'm so sorry about your divorce. I agree, you should speak to Mr. Guzman, but on another note I too was married to a Dominican in the DR and came back to Canada. We did have a child together, but he wasn't really prepared to be a daddy...

Anyway, I can't comment as much on US divorce laws, however in Canada it was extremely simple to obtain an 'uncontested divorce'. I filled out the paperwork and just fed-exed it to him for his signature, then I was present at the courthouse to submit the files, pay the very small fees, and voila, about 2 months later we were granted a divorce (and I got court-ordered sole custody of our daughter. No problems, no pain, nothing...

Best of luck with it all, but don't worry or stress at all...it's easier than you think. I'm sorry for the problems you're facing...keep us posted!
Does he have to pay child support?

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Does he have to pay child support?

The original post in this thread