The provision for public and collective goods and housing development

Farhad21

Jul 22, 2011
The deficiencies in the real estate market in supplying public and collective goods have been discussed widely in different forums. Since the provision for these goods such as roads, bridges, car parks, common open areas and national parks is the responsibility of the state, and because they cover large areas or have location specific significance, central planning is inevitable. Indeed, government bodies are also responsible for other infrastructure services, such as parks, sewerage, schools and water supply. These aspects will have to be integrated into a land-use plan for the particular area.

A planning authority with a national jurisdiction has other advantages to deal with the future of public services and land use patterns. Thus if a private firm is entirely responsible for a particular development, it is restricted to working within the existing road map, the pattern of which was probably established before the herald of motor transport. In this way the road layout becomes ossified in an inefficient form. In sharp contrast, the co-operation between the private developer and a local authority with wide planning powers would allow the road system to be altered to meet the needs of modern transport and also the upkeep of the environment. The same approach holds good when developing a Home in Kerala .

Greater coordination between the public and the private agencies has ensured streamlined sustainable urban development processes. Many a time encroachment into hitherto secured areas has taken place due to ignorance and also due to misinformation. Thus some builders that started work in fragile land areas that was actually part of a protected area, had to abandon the project after sinking several crores into it. This has happened in many of the districts in Kerala. The very recent example is happenings in the popular hill station in Munnar.

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
smells like a spam sandwich to me... no... I'm NOT clicking on that link, even though I was tempted to. LOL