Foolish dog question but I need to know

meregirl

Aug 22, 2008
So my family and I are coming for a few months and we are bringing my dog, a 22 lb Cavapoo which is a Cavalier King Charles and Poodle mix. He is obviously a US dog and my first time taking him anywhere. I figured that when I give him water that I will give him the same drinking water as us, since his stomach is not accustomed to the untreated DR water. However my question is when you wash your dog he will lick himself which means he is ingesting the untreated water. Has anyone had any issues with stomach problems due to DR water with dogs? Thanks for you patience with my ignorance on this subject.

Caz

May 15, 2004
JR - I need your input on this as the last time you gave us the benefit of your opinion was the funniest thing ever!!!

EverythingJeff

Oct 31, 2010
www.facebook.com
My dog only drinks bottled water. If he does happen to drink tap what, he will get sick. He has short hair, so I just dry him well, I would suggest you do the same to yours. Dante says Hello :)

247312_10150642532180545_886440544_18829176_3065540_n.jpg

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Are you people serious, bottled water for dogs? My dogs are great but $hit buying bottles water for them is a bit OTT by any standards. Does the dog seriously get ill if he drinks tap water? I have never even used bottled water for brushing my teeth, cooking rice, boiling spuds, preparing salads etc. Seems a bit nuts to me, dogs eat $hit and lick other dogs pee, each other a$$ etc and god knows what else, I very much doubt tap water will effect them, if it does then I'd upgrade to a more doglike dog!!

bri777

Bronze
Sep 11, 2010
meregirl
please take no offense to our funny friday responses
I too have a poo and it has a sensitive stomach ,
so before I bring him I will start giving him poopi water,little by little to get him used to it!!!!!!
Manu

PICHARDO

One Dominican at a time, please!
May 15, 2003
Santiago de Los 30 Caballeros
So my family and I are coming for a few months and we are bringing my dog, a 22 lb Cavapoo which is a Cavalier King Charles and Poodle mix. He is obviously a US dog and my first time taking him anywhere. I figured that when I give him water that I will give him the same drinking water as us, since his stomach is not accustomed to the untreated DR water. However my question is when you wash your dog he will lick himself which means he is ingesting the untreated water. Has anyone had any issues with stomach problems due to DR water with dogs? Thanks for you patience with my ignorance on this subject.

Our Dog was purchased in the USA as a puppy, when he finally came to Santiago (DR), we noticed each time he ate he would take a dump soon after which was very soft and lacking any hardness or big chunks or anything. He never got sick, but this got me a bit worried that we got sold a sick puppy!

I took him to the vet and he explained that this was pretty common for a short period (sometimes not) for non-local dogs. He said it was overwhelmingly most common on puppies or smaller breeds than the medium to large ones. He said that it takes a while for their stomachs to build up the good bacteria count, to counter the new water denizens present in the habitat of the DR. He said that it was a good thing to boil the water a bit, let it cool down to room temperature and alternating from this water in the morning, to tap water in the rest of the day, changing back to boiled water in the nights.

After a while, the dog started to really poop nice doodles, and the hardness you come to expect as well.
it took about a month and 3 weeks for the dog to stop getting his bolied water (or better said when I had to take a long stay trip to the U.K. for biz, and nobody was willing to take the time to do it for him).

After that it always have been tap water for him, and when chance appears he will drink anything he can lick!

I found this to apply not only to dogs, but people when it comes to water in the DR!
You have to allow your stomach to build up the god bacteria, in order to enjoy the local water like a regular denizen.

I think that using bottled water is an easy choice to boiling it, but he said that even bottled water can still carry a high colony count of bacteria; unless it's processed via osmosis or boiling, common filtering will only remove certain stuff and chemicals.

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com
My dog population varies from 5 to 10 up til 30 if I have puppies. All the dogs drink tapwater and if they get the change after a rainy day, they leave the bowl for what it is and go drink from the mud pooles in the garden or street. A dogs intestines can handle a lot more then us humans.

The only thing I don't like them doing too much is drinking pool water, too much chlorine in it.

If you bring a dog over, he/she will benefit after the long journey in the plane to get a few day's some light food such as a good chunk of boiled chicken every day, some dried or toasted bread and if he/she should have diarhea from the journey or maybe the change in climate, stick to the boiled chicken, boil rice and give the cooled rice water to drink (plenty preferable) and unsweetened natural yoghurt for another couple of day's. Chicken, dry or toasted bread and yoghurt are easy on the dogs stomach and the rice water will help to get the diahrea under control.

Acira

meregirl

Aug 22, 2008
Are you people serious, bottled water for dogs? My dogs are great but $hit buying bottles water for them is a bit OTT by any standards. Does the dog seriously get ill if he drinks tap water? I have never even used bottled water for brushing my teeth, cooking rice, boiling spuds, preparing salads etc. Seems a bit nuts to me, dogs eat $hit and lick other dogs pee, each other a$$ etc and god knows what else, I very much doubt tap water will effect them, if it does then I'd upgrade to a more doglike dog!!

Excuse me obviously you do not know the royalty that is my dog. You missed the part Cavalier KING Charles he would never stoop to eating $hit. However what the poodle part does is not his fault.

robbie

Bronze
Aug 3, 2006
Dogs eat s$%t when they are lacking something in the diet. Give them bananas and they stop;)

meregirl

Aug 22, 2008
meregirl
please take no offense to our funny friday responses
I too have a poo and it has a sensitive stomach ,
so before I bring him I will start giving him poopi water,little by little to get him used to it!!!!!!
Manu

Naw I did not take offense, I know what this site is like and all of the jokers I have been guilty of making fun too of a couple folks. I come on here regularly for my laughs. Actually he has senstive skin and has to be on an all fish diet which is why I thought to ask.