Dunk Tank

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
We would like to build a dunk tank to entice all those wanna be baseball players to donate to charity. We want to use the profits for things like bicycles for kids that have a long way to go to school, materials for uniforms and hire some local tutors for those kids that are struggling and have high potential for dropping out.
Dunk tanks are proven revenue generators in north american at fairs and events like that. For those not familiar, one pays for the privilege of throwing the baseball at a target and if you get the bullseye a person sitting on a bench with a release gets to fall into a tank of water. Even more tempting if the right person is chosen to sit on the bench. The major cost is the dunk tank itself. The thought is to buy one of those large plastic water tanks and cut the top off to use as the dunk tank. These tanks are pricey for charity purposes and I have a quote on a new one 1500 gal for 25,000RD. If anyone has suggestions, knows where i can find one with a broken top for cheapo, other ideas or wants to donate a tank, please let me know. Going to a really great cause, "ensuring education".

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
You might get a better response if you improved your English and used paragraphs. Bicycle use by children is minimal in this country. You will be bucking culture. This sounds to me like some missionary trying to impose North American criteria on Dominican children.

Sorry, but this will not fly. I wonder, in a place like Santo Domingo, where you will find 1,500 gallons of water in the first place. You would be better off bottling the water and distributing it, rather than wasting it dunking people...

This is first world thinking in fourth world conditions...

And yes, I am a bit curmudgeonly today...

HB

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
Yes Hillbilly my English is not what it should be. My hearing , sight and joints are also failing, although for some peculiar reason my hair still demands I go to the salon. I do not see the rationale in the way you chose to belittle our fundraising efforts for the local children with little knowledge of the real details. It would be a debate whether one would want to improve English or attitude first but I think we would both fail as good teachers on at least one of those.

The project is not what about your narrow mindedly and assuming response indicates. Shame on you. Your name shows up as a moderator so this sets the pace for community living and the entire forum and this response is beneath someone that should play a different role. People with attitude like yours make me so sorry I asked for input from this forum. And Robert says one cannot take their request back but I wish I could.

May 29, 2006
The design for a dunk tank is pretty basic. The key to it all working is the release mechanism, which is normally built around a pair of Vise-grip pliers. You have a 2x4 hinged over the tank and a shorter end is secured above the target with the vise-grips. When the target is hit, it releases the vise grips and gravity does the rest of the work.

For the drop zone, it's important that some netting is put in front of the "guest of honor" so any wild throws do not hit them and you need a ladder for them to stand on while the device is reset. You can make a vat on the cheap by building a five-sided cube out of wooden pallets and then lining it with plastic. A bell is a nice add-on if you can work one out. As an add fund-raiser, you can sell ice to add into the tank.

My guess is that a tank will use about 400 gallons.

Something like this but deeper:

white-trash-repairs-cheaper-than-a-jacuzzi.jpg

Last edited:

Gordon

Jan 24, 2011
I like this. Seems feasible. Let me pass the idea around to our supporters. Thanks so much PeterInBrat. By the way what is the guy doing in this pool?

On another note, once the kids here get past a few grades they have to travel a few km to a bigger school and some of the kids could just barely walk it (with one little fellow in particular having the most trouble). The idea for a bicycle originated from the mothers group themselves in this very poor community after lots of alternatives were given careful consideration. If I told them that some gringo felt their idea was too first world to work they would be quite surprised at the mentality and likely feel it was an idiot or someone without a lot if experience with kids. These moms are cool and working so hard to make sure their kids have a school and stick with it.