Visiting Puerto Plata in September

Status
Not open for further replies.

Water Sobchak

Jul 28, 2011
Hi,
I will be visiting Puerto Plata in early September. This is my first trip to PP but not my first trip to DR. I need some advice/recommendations for this trip:
1. I am looking for a hotel (about $40) near the Malecon, walking distance to bars and some nightlife. I am a single male visiting PP for about 4 days and then moving to Costambar. I already have an apartment Costambar. Any recommendations for hotels in PP? Is Lomar near the malecon?
2. If I want to visit Sosua from say 6pm to midnight, how can I get back? Do I have to use a private taxi or can I take a carrito publico? How much does it cost?
3. How much does a taxi from the malecon to Costambar cost? Where can I get a carrito to Costambar?
4. How is the night life in Playa Dorado? What bars/discos would you recommend? How do I get there from my hotel and return, late at night?
Cheers!

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
1. Nothing that close to the Malecon bars. If you are ok with motoconcho you have more selection at around 30-40 per night.
2. The publicos are around 50 pesos and if you tell them "va rapido" they will charge you more and make less stops. But take a taxi at that time of night.
3. Tourist Taxi is about $20 and a local taxi 400 pesos approx.
4. If you like tourists it can be o.k. but is spotty night by night depending on how busy the resort is. A better option is Rancho Tipico Puerto Plata for music, dancing etc. Take a Taxi at night.

BermudaRum

Bronze
Oct 9, 2007
RV429 info is spot on with the transportation. The night life at Playa Dorada I would miss. Go to Coppa disco, Costa Dorada (actually closer to the city of POP than P.D), especially on a weekend night. There are several great bars like El Furgon, Chalos, and Charly's. El Furgon on a Wed. night is off the wall and on weekends. The two C's as I call them are across from each other, and are usually 99.9% supported by Dominicans, but tourist are more than welcome. La Canita is a interesting spot, but only on weekends. As RV429 said, Rancho Tipico is a must do, however only on weekends and is not very far from where you will be staying in Costambar.

london777

Bronze
Dec 22, 2005
Is Lomar near the malecon?
It is right on the Malec?n so best location of any hotel in the area. It is a bit basic but OK.

2. If I want to visit Sosua from say 6pm to midnight, how can I get back? Do I have to use a private taxi or can I take a carrito publico? How much does it cost?
Catch a carrito publico from the Parada de Puerto Plata opposite the Texaco filling station on the main highway. After midnight not as frequent as earlier so you might have to wait up to 20 minutes for the cab to arrive and fill up (or you could strike lucky). Cost 50 pesos. Other options are to buy both front seats for 100 pesos for a bit more comfort, or to buy as many seats as remain unfilled at 50 pesos each in order to expedite departure. Or finally negotiate a price for an empty publico to take you alone all the way to your hotel. I would guess they would ask 500 pesos after midnight. Still only half the price of a private taxi. Carritos are not recommended if you are a helpless drunk and thus an easy mark.

3. How much does a taxi from the Malec?n to Costambar cost? Where can I get a carrito to Costambar?
The "JC" publicos start from the little park opposite the Parada de Sos?a near the Hospital (but on the other - North - side of the highway). Cost 40 pesos but note they only go as far as the Costambar security gate, after which you will need to walk or take a motoconcho. Also I think they stop running about 8.00pm.

Negotiate the price if you summon a taxi to Costambar from the Malec?n. I would guess they will ask 400 pesos. Might be a little cheaper if you take one from the parada in Parque Central.

4. How is the night life in Playa Dorado? What bars/discos would you recommend? How do I get there from my hotel and return, late at night?
Depends what you are looking for in the way of entertainment! And transport would depend on which bar and which hotel, but in general terms take a motoconcho (if not raining) for a short trip or call a taxi (TechiTaxi are usually reliable and fairly priced) if a longer trip or raining (or you have found company).

Last edited:

Water Sobchak

Jul 28, 2011
Thanks for the replies. Are there any options besides Lomar in that price range? A short motoconcho ride is fine with me during the day/evening but not at night.
Is the Hospital the only publico stand in PP? How close is it to malecon? If I want to make a day trip to Cabarete, is this the place to take a publico from?
Also, what is the going taxi fare from airport to PP?

Water Sobchak

Jul 28, 2011
Thanks for you replies.
Are there any options other than Lomar? A short motoconcho ride or a ten minute walk is fine with me.
What is the best place to change money near the Malecon?
Is the Hospital stop the place where I get publicos for a day trip to Cabarete? How far is the Hospital from malecon?
Where are El Furgon, Chalos, and Charly's located?
BTW what is the best source for a map of PP with hotels, restaurants, clubs, tourist attractions etc?

Status
Not open for further replies.