Questions about my stay in SD

laprof

Jul 28, 2011
Let me begin by saying how wonderful this forum/site is. I have been lurking for the past few months reading everything I could. I have gotten more information from here than anywhere else on the web. Y'all have made me so excited about going and you are one of the reasons I actually chose the DR. I do have a some questions. I hope some kind soul will answer them. Many of the things have been mentioned on the forum but I wanted to make sure about a few things.

I'll be in Santo Domingo for 8 days by myself (married female). I speak Spanish and I've traveled to other countries (Mexico, Colombia, Spain, Korea, Portugal) so I'm not worried. I'll have a private tutor in the mornings and in the afternoons I plan on sightseeing and relaxing. I'm going so that I can brush up on my Spanish and to immerse myself in a different Spanish speaking country. I don't want to speak any English at all while I'm there.

1- Are there enough things to do in the afternoons? I've looked at lots of sites so I have an idea what I would like to do. Any MUST sees in SD? I'm not interested at all clubbing.

2- I will be arriving at 8:30 pm on a Saturday night. Someone from the school will be picking me up. I know everyone says not to exchange money at the hotel but the banks will be closed on Sunday, right? I don't think I'll have a choice.

3- Not sure what to bring for maid gifts. I was thinking small shampoos and soaps from other hotels. I have a ton from different hotels. It seems cheap or tacky? Or just a dollar bill every day? Is that too little though? Thoughts? Opinions? Will it be the same maid everyday or a different one? I'm staying at the Hotel Palacio.

4- I've read lots about bringing things like colors, pencils and such for the kids. Will I be seeing any kids? I'm thinking no, but am I missing something?

5- My contact person at the school as been really helpful. Suggestions for a gift for him?

6- A friend of a friend has answered some of my questions and has offered to show me around. Suggestions for a gift for a single 30ish year old woman. (please don't say something representative of where I live. I am currently living in South Carolina (ughhh) and I can't think of a single thing from this state! I can think of lots of things from my home state of Louisiana).

7- Gift suggestions for my teacher or is that appropriate?

8- Am I leaving out someone? Gifts for who anyone else?

9- Is take out popular and/or acceptable? I have an extremely sensitive stomach, so have to be careful with what I eat. I love to eat and try new things but new things unfortunately don't like me at times. I hate it. :( I don't want to be viewed as the finicky picky American, so I was hoping to do take out. Yes, I know eating at restaurants is better and a better cultural experience but it's not a chance I really want to take. Actually the food issue is causing more stress than anything else. I may just be eating rice the whole time. lol

10- My five year old son is so excited about me bringing him something. I will be able to find somethings for him, right?

11- Do I really need malaria meds? My doctor gave me a script and says I do need it. If I'm in Santo Domingo (la zona colonial ) the whole time is it necessary? What about insect repellent necessary? I may do a day trip to a beach. I'll just play it by ear.

I know these are lots of questions. I'm sorry! Remember what I said in the beginning about y'all being wonderful and so helpful. :nervous: I debated about starting different threads for each question. I will go back and do that if it would be better.

?Gracias de antemano!

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
1. You can probably keep yourself busy for a week if you limit yourself to seeing or doing one thing each afternoon, but generally a couple of days is long enough to see/do things of interest.
2. Bring you ATM card.
3. Money, I think $1 is not much, but your choice
4. Obviously you will see kids but only interacting if you wish to, if you plan on visiting a poorer school out of the city one afternoon then maybe bring something, but i have no trouble finding colours and books mysels and so never understood why people bother.
5. Don't know them.
6. Buy him dinner.
7. I wouldn't bother but again up to you.
8. Are you santa?
9. Yes, lots of take out joints.
10. Don't know him.
11. No need for malaria meds , but your choice.

Please don't start a thread for each question.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
maybe learn something about Christopher Columbus ? can't hurt right. your teaach will be proud of your new found knowledge

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
For the 5 year old

[video=youtube;WHncIJIk6ow]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WHncIJIk6ow[/video]

A handmade Guira, (a plastic hair pick to go with it), a Dominican flag, cheesy coconut gifts (my son loves those), Taino figurines, CD's (hard to find kid appropriate, though) a ticket to the DR to experience it himself:p

One "oops I didn't bring anything for you" gift I always bring are key chains with sports logos, city logos etc. You can even get them in the aiport in Miami etc., but I always buy local to expand their knowledge of actual places in the US that aren't NYC related. (They are also easy to pack.)

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
1- Are there enough things to do in the afternoons? I've looked at lots of sites so I have an idea what I would like to do. Any MUST sees in SD? I'm not interested at all clubbing. The standard "tourist" things like Los Tres Ojos, Jardin Botanico, El Faro de Colon (once is enough for a lifetime) and all of the Zona Colonial will provide enough for the time you are there.

2- I will be arriving at 8:30 pm on a Saturday night. Someone from the school will be picking me up. I know everyone says not to exchange money at the hotel but the banks will be closed on Sunday, right? I don't think I'll have a choice. I exchange money with friends. Although it's not recommended to just exchange on the street, you may want to ask the person picking you up what they recommend. They may have some alternatives, depending on your comfort level. Changing a few dollars at the hotel if you have to might also be an option until you can get somewhere else.

3- Not sure what to bring for maid gifts. I was thinking small shampoos and soaps from other hotels. I have a ton from different hotels. It seems cheap or tacky? Or just a dollar bill every day? Is that too little though? Thoughts? Opinions? Will it be the same maid everyday or a different one? I'm staying at the Hotel Palacio.
Cheap and tacky and not appreciated would be hotel soap from other hotels. I would stick with the hard cash, probably more than $1. If it's the same person, one big amount at the end.

4- I've read lots about bringing things like colors, pencils and such for the kids. Will I be seeing any kids? I'm thinking no, but am I missing something? You'll be seeing shoe shine kids. If you need shoes shined, well ok. As others have said, unless you know you will be visiting a school I wouldn't bother.

5. Gift for the school contact--Baseball hat?

6- A friend of a friend has answered some of my questions and has offered to show me around. Suggestions for a gift for a single 30ish year old woman. (please don't say something representative of where I live. I am currently living in South Carolina (ughhh) and I can't think of a single thing from this state! I can think of lots of things from my home state of Louisiana). These things are tricky. Dominicans like flashy, and token gifts are seen as cheap. Having said that I'd ask your friend, but a shirt, perfume, or generic make-up sets (eye shadow etc.) Now if she was a married woman with a family, she needs a good set of knives!!

7- Gift suggestions for my teacher or is that appropriate? Good Spanish/English dictionary (my favorite is University of Chicago), nice portfolio type notebook, or smaller planner, nice pencil/pen set.

8- Am I leaving out someone? Gifts for who anyone else? Yes, when gifts are given, someone always shows up!
As I posted elsewhere, I always have key chains handy when grandpa that I forgot is alive shows up and I can bring out my special key chain I was saving for him. Having said that, gifts are a slippery slope. Do thank those that have been helpful to you, but be mindful of that their expectations are often unrealist.

9- Is take out popular and/or acceptable? I have an extremely sensitive stomach, so have to be careful with what I eat. I love to eat and try new things but new things unfortunately don't like me at times. I hate it. :( I don't want to be viewed as the finicky picky American, so I was hoping to do take out. Yes, I know eating at restaurants is better and a better cultural experience but it's not a chance I really want to take. Actually the food issue is causing more stress than anything else. I may just be eating rice the whole time. lol We all know if this goes wrong, nothing else matters. Dominicans understand upset stomachs (unlike vegetarians, which they don't get). (Delicado del estamago--for me is usually an occasional thing--for you I guess it'll be every day.) Be honest with those that are helping you. Even "plain rice" will have oil in it. Go for soup. I love Sancocho, (not always available in restaurants. Keep plain crackers etc with you as a stand-by and small places may be willing and able to adjust things if you talk with them. You probably would be staying away from salads anyway, but fresh fruit is readily available.

10- My five year old son is so excited about me bringing him something. I will be able to find somethings for him, right? I can send you my collection of Dominican T-Shirts in every size from birth to Youth Large. My son's Dad brings him one every time he goes. Really, seriously not a great gift for a young boy. (See separate post for things I would buy.)

11- Do I really need malaria meds? My doctor gave me a script and says I do need it. If I'm in Santo Domingo (la zona colonial ) the whole time is it necessary? What about insect repellent necessary? I may do a day trip to a beach. I'll just play it by ear. It can make your hair fall out, and it gave me hallucinations. Risk is lower for this than other things such as cholera (but don't panic, I don't think you're going to get that, either.)

?Gracias de antemano!

Have a great time!

laprof

Jul 28, 2011
Thanks so much to the ones who replied with helpful and KIND responses! I'm sure once I get there I'll be posting with more questions. The Hotel Palacio say they have free wireless. Does anyone know if it will be dependable? Will it be easy to find in other places?

Anastacio: Thanks, and no I'm not Santa, but I do like to show my appreciation. :) How much would you suggest for the maid? BTW, would it be criada?

ricky11 and chuck t, thanks. 38 is going to be hard to convert to dollars in my head. I need to remember to take a calculator!

La Rubia:

1- Those were the places on my list. Thank you!

2- I think I will exchange enough at my hotel to get my by and I'll also try to find an ATM machine as someone suggested.

3- I also thought the same thing about the hotel toiletries but I actually read where a few people suggested these (not just in the DR). I do have some that are actually from The Body Place without hotel names on them. Maybe that is what people meant? How much would you say and would you suggest dollars or pesos?

4- Nope don't see my shoes being shined. I'm a Rainbows girl. :) A popular, extremely comfortable sandal for the ones who don't know.

5 - 7 Great ideas for gifts. I like the nice journal or planner and this time of year they are easy to find with all the school supplies being out. University of Chicago is also my fave btw. Key chains are good. I can always find ones with the ever popular Palmetto flag on it.

6- Umm, all latinas are like this! haha. Before anyone gets mad or offended, I have tons of latina friends who I love to death and they would say the same thing. I was thinking something from Bath and Body Works. I have asked another dominicana who lives in the States her opinion.

8- I totally get this. Good to know dominicanos aren't much different from other latinos. The only dominicana I know is Americanized. :)

9- It sounds like you know about IBS. Thanks for the term delicado de estomogo. I love the way my latino friends make rice. Sautee onion and garlic and a little bit of rice and then add the rest of the rice. I can eat this fine because it's just a small amount of oil. Yumm, and I love the smell.

10 - Thanks for the gift ideas! I do plan to travel with him one day. I can't wait, but I'm waiting until he's a little older.

11- I think I will skip the malaria meds. Most of are saying not to worry.

Thanks again everyone!

pedropanza

May 9, 2011
Before you go back home with a bad taste in your mouth, please read and remember:

ONLY get cash from an ATM INSIDE a bank or with a 24hr guard in front of it

NEVER pay with a credit card - get the cash (look 2 lines up) and then pay cash

if you are curious about why, ask google:

site:dr1.com credit card fraud

laprof

Jul 28, 2011
Thanks! I thought I more or less knew everything I needed to know. I didn't know that about credit cards. I was hoping to mostly use my card (actually my credit/debit card) so I wouldn't have to worry about cash.

And don't worry it will take a lot for me to leave with a bad taste in my mouth. :)

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
the atm advice is spot-on for your cash needs. it's the best exchange and you can get it whenever you need to. In general, worldwide it's the best source for travelers to get local currency.

Your stomach could/might/probably will, suffer anywhere in the world... it doesn't mean you got any kind of food borne illness. It's commonly called "traveler's stomach", and can occur just from unusual foods, changes in daily habits, or even other factors ... like stress! So relax and enjoy! ;-)

I think a dollar or maybe two per day for housekeeping would be fine for one person in a hotel room. and I'm not a "cheap" person -- but I'd go with the equivalent in pesos.

I have talked before about MY thoughts on the "gifts as tips" thing, i.e. the hotel toiletries and/or little gifts for kids. IMO sometime in the past it was probably proposed somewhere in the media by someone who is very well meaning, but trying to be "different", (think a Martha Stewart type), and it caught on with every soccer mom in the U.S. and just grew from there. (This phenomenon has intrigued me since I first head of from my friend/neighbor, (the paradigm of a soccer mom), about 4 or 5 years ago prior to my first trip to the D.R. If anyone knows the REAL and verifiable genesis of this practice, I'd LOVE to hear it.) If you want to bring/donate kids stuff, there are schools which could really use it; and members of DR1 can tell you which ones. For tips to maids, etc... CASH. Let them buy what they need/want.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Credit Card

If you plan on using a credit card, make sure you let the company know ahead of time. (And your bank if you are going to withdraw money from an ATM.) Both can get blocked really quickly for your protection (well, theirs) because of unusual charges. (Yet thieves manage to charge thousands to that same card quickly.) A combination of both cash and cards is probably your safest bet.

La Rubia

Bronze
Jan 1, 2010
Thanks for the term delicado de estomogo. Thanks again everyone!

Darn it, that's why I never post in Spanish. I think it's "del estomogo" and then I didn't know if it's delicada or delicado. I sorely need some grammar classes, but other things seem to come first. But you got the idea. . . . I rarely hear Dominicans use the word diarrhea, but often hear "mal del estomogo"--I think it's more delicate or polite and covers a wider range of discomfort.

Also, for an FYI--Don't know what a Spanish dictionary would say for period (menstration) , but Dominicanas say "regla", and if you use tampons bring them with you, as they aren't readily available in colmados.

Enjoy your trip and let us know how it went!

laprof

Jul 28, 2011
I currently teach Spanish and I also taught ESL for years (LOVED it!). I tell my students that the most important part of speaking a language is to communicate. We don't speak our first language perfectly, so we sure won't speak our 2nd language perfectly. :) Of course grammar is important but it's not the most important, imho. I was actually thinking it was "del est?mogo" since I knew "mal del est?mogo", but I wasn't sure. I'm sure I'll be understood either way. I've never used diarrhea because it's too hard to pronounce. lol. I discovered this wonderful fruit (pitaya) in Colombia and I ate a ton of it in one sitting. They failed to mention it was good for constipation, which I didn't have! I was saying "mal del est?mogo" for a while!

Calling my banks is on my to do list next week with about a million other things.

I learned the hard way about always bringing my own feminine products. Imagine trying to describe that! I think I used tap?n and sangre together and just made an embarrassing mess. Talk about too much information! :)

My Americanized dominicana friend suggested Bath and Body Works hand lotion or candles. They sell the small sample sizes, so I'm going to buy a few different ones. It will also be a go to gift.

?Muchisimas gracias por todo!

laprof

Jul 28, 2011
http://www.dr1.com/forums/members/captnglenn.htmlCaptnGlen, I may actually consider taking some school supplies. This time of year in the US with schools starting in a few weeks there are really good prices on things. I'll start another thread and ask. Thank you for the suggestion!

Unfortunately, I suffer from stomach issues here in the States also. I blame Spain. hahah. I got really sick when I was there years ago and after researching about my condition some times people never really fully recover from bacterial infections. I go to a developed country and get sick but I go to 3rd world countries and I'm just fine. Go figure. That's why I prefer this side of the charco (among many other reasons).

CaptnGlenn

Silver
Mar 29, 2010
I applaud your decision to take school supplies. Go to WalMart or Costco and stock up!! :) The only problem is carrying all that stuff with you as you travel. ;-) I'm sure they'll appreciate it though.

Your mention of Spain and stomach issues brought to mind a story. My wife and I were to spend 10 days in Barcelona, first 3 in a hotel, and we rented an apartment for a week to live in a neighborhood. This was a celebration of our anniversary, and my first trip to Europe. My wife was at a convention in Monte Carlo the week before, so was meeting me in Barcelona. After only a couple of days in Spain, my wife got REALLY... REALLY sick (stomach). We had to bail and get her home. As it turned out, after tests her Dr. determined she had gotten a food borne illness, (campylobacter bacteria), but it wasn't from eating in Spain... the incubation showed she was infected in Monte Carlo (likely culprit undercooked chicken). Just goes to show you, can get sick in the "Ritziest" places, and eat "street food" with no problem.

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
Food:
i wouldnt worry too much about food during normal hours. Things are usually made fresh. I would only worry about those late night meals and 'cafeteria' foods that has been laying around all day. The only food i have had problems with in D.R. are salads at lunch or dinner. I just dont feel comfortable with the lettuce

Money:
you can grab some Pesos from the ATM machines outside the airport or you can just pay your taxi in dollars. Bring small bills because there will be no change. If you stay at a big chain hotel go to a bank or ATM if you stay at a small boutique/aparta hotel then they will arrange for someone to come to your hotel from a bank and exchange money for you.

Gifts:
the bath and body stuff is cool, but make sure the scents are good. One time after a day in the beach my friend needed to borrow some of my lotion; she decided to use the scented cheap lotion instead of the expensive un-scented medicated lotion. I would give the maids cash and use their laundry service or anything else that gives them money. For the kids, buy a big bag of assorted candy/chocolates at the duty free-store when you arrive to distribute.

Things to do:
i enjoy early evening walks in the the parks, acompanied by a ice cold presidente. You can also take day trips to juan dolio, or boca chica.

Friday night i saw a cool concert street fest by casa de teatro and on sunday i stumbled onto a really cool concert block party in the ruinas de san fransisco. There are also things to do in plaza espana. all of those are in the colonial zone.