Santiago Trip

Status
Not open for further replies.

Glenn68

Jun 13, 2011
Hey all,

First time in DR last weekend flew in late Friday night with my Dominican girlfriend we have been seeing each other for 5 months now. We were met at the airport by her brother, he seemed a nice guy. Initial plans were to spend the night in Santo Domingo but her mother is quiet sick with blood pressure problems so we decided to rent a car and drive straight up to Santiago. As you can imagine we were real tired when we arrived at 3 in the morning but her mother was glad to see us.

Saturday we spent the day traveling around Santiago taking in the sites of the city stopping off for a traditional lunch and then on to the Heros Monument late into the afternoon early evening we did not stay put late due to being so tired from travel the night before.

Sunday we had a much need sleep in and the rest her family come around to meet me, very nice people and made me feel really welcome we all had lunch together while they were all asking me questions I struggled through with my Spanish translation book in hand and they all had a good laugh at me trying to speak Spanish it was fun. Unfortunately after lunch her mother needed to go to hospital so that put a real downer on the events with everyone concerned about her, she returned home early in the evening after getting some much needed drugs to take care of her blood pressure issues, her mother is a bit like mine and has been refusing proper care and medication this is why her daughter has had to go home and give her a kick in the butt so she does as she is told and takes her medication.

Monday I had to fly out and go back to work so that was the end of my whirlwind trip, I will be back in about 4 weeks around the 20th August will stay for about a week this time as I have some more time to plan.

I had a great time and I really liked Santiago, the people I met were fantastic and I look forward to going back in about 3 weeks.

By the way are there any other fellow Aussies here??

All the best Glenn68
:cool:

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
If possible. fly into Santiago's airport, Much nicer arrival and 14-15 minutes from downtown.
What part of the city does your "mother in law" live in?
Persons with BP issues must take medicine every day, no just when there is a crisis.

No Aussies, but a couple of redneck hillbillies...

Beer is good no matter.

Look forward to perhaps seeing you next trip.

HB

Glenn68

Jun 13, 2011
Will look into flying into Santiago next time Santo Domingo worked last weekend for us. She lives El Centro/Baracoa not far from downtown.
Yeah I now a about the BP issues my dad had it and he had to take medication also. Her mother is similar to mine (I think they must know each other) and does not listen to the doctors nor does she take her meds as directed this is why my girlfriend has had to go home, her brothers do not really help out except for 1 of them pretty much standard the females have to take care of it, I don't have any sisters so I have to do it with my mum and believe me it is a mission so I know what she is going through. I tell her to kick her brothers in the ass and make them help their own mother.

Trip was way to short but will be back soon, maybe sooner.

Tried the local beer Presidente and liked it very mild to be honest I do not drink beer as I do not like it usually, but my girlfriend kept telling me how good their beer was so I had to try it otherwise I think she would have been offended. Yep I am an Aussie who does not drink beer, strange I know because us Aussie's are renowned as big beer drinkers.

Anyways looking forward to coming back in a couple of weeks.

Will let you all know when I plan on coming back maybe catch somebody for a beer in Santiago??

Cheers Glenn68

Glenn68

Jun 13, 2011
One thing I did forget to mention was her brother did chaperone us when went anywhere together. Is this normal custom in DR for a family member to do this???

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
One thing I did forget to mention was her brother did chaperone us when went anywhere together. Is this normal custom in DR for a family member to do this???

Not really. How do you know it was her brother?

Glenn68

Jun 13, 2011
He looks like her and is married with his own child whom I have met. I figured it was maybe something they do because I am a gringo.

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
I would withhold any long term commitment plans until you get more familiar in the language at least well enough to conduct an impromptu Q&A without having to stumble or revert to your dictionary. Just playing it safe is what I m talking about.

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
From your post it sounds like she is living in the State, where you live and if so...........how long?

RacerX

Banned
Nov 22, 2009
From your post it sounds like she is living in the State, where you live and if so...........how long?

What did you read? He flew into Santo Domingo, she and her family lives in Santiago and he is from Australia.

And Baracoa doesnt look that good to me. At least not at night time.

Glenn68

Jun 13, 2011
I would withhold any long term commitment plans until you get more familiar in the language at least well enough to conduct an impromptu Q&A without having to stumble or revert to your dictionary. Just playing it safe is what I m talking about.

I am playing it safe and keeping my wits about me.

She speaks English at a basic conversation level as long as I do not talk in my Aussie slang or too fast. Her brother speaks some English and we can communicate the rest of her family do not. My Spanish is well not real good as it has only been about for about 4 months. I can understand key words and if a person speaks slow I get the general idea most times not all, it is fun learning, asked me 12 months ago would I be doing this and I would have never imagined it.

To be honest she is go slow in the relationship more than me which, to me it is a good sign after all the horror stories I have read about here and elsewhere she seems to have a level head and does not appear to have other motives. She does not ask me for a bucket loads cash or the I have an emergency blah blah even with her sick mother which I now is a genuine illness. Things look promising and genuinely thank you for the words of advice it is noted.
Cheers
Glenn68

Last edited:

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
I hope I am reading this wrongly... but you flew over from Australia for a weekend?

On top of this for a girlfriend with whom you chatted over the internet? From your first post I assumed you knew her in Australia for a number of years.

My god, man, I do believe you can meet someone over the internet, but if this is so in your case, you are being taken for a ride...

Especially with the handy brother and kid featuring in the story.

I hope I am wrong, but please, for your own sake, check, and double check

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I hope I am wrong, but please, for your own sake, check, and double check

His scruples are clouded. He must have spent over a grand for the flight to hang out with a future wife, maybe?

I hope it is worth the investment. To each it's own. I rather spend that dough on a nice hometown Aussie with the same female genitalia as the one he is going to met in DR.

Be careful my friend. I think you are being taken for the ride of your life. MY opinion. You can do whatever you want but think rationally. I know she is and her family. It is in their best interest to reel you in.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
He's p***y whip and his scruples are clouded. He must have spent over a grand for the flight to hang out with a future wife, maybe?

I hope it is worth the investment. To each it's own. I rather spend that dough on a nice hometown Aussie with the same female genitalia as the one he is going to met in DR.

Be careful my friend. I think you are being taken for the ride of your life. MY opinion. You can do whatever you want but think rationally. I know she is and her family. It is in their best interest to reel you in.
I'm not very long on this site but I can't believe why these guys can't see past their nose.........oh well. The RD sounds like an incubator for he/she scams.

bob saunders

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
dr1.com
OP says he has been going with the girl for 5 months - not I met her over the internet
OP says he and his girlfriend flew in to the DR ( meaning she doesn't live in the DR)
OP indicates that he is an Aussie , not that he is currently living there or flew from there.

Luperon

Who empowered China's crime against humanity?
Jun 28, 2004
The initial post was not written well, cant tell who came from where. But....its clear plans were changed due to sudden medical issues. This sounds typical Dominican, I wonder who paid for the drugs and doctors visit :). Before you get too serious, spy on her and test her anyway you can.

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
What did you read? He flew into Santo Domingo, she and her family lives in Santiago and he is from Australia.

And Baracoa doesnt look that good to me. At least not at night time.

It seems you didn't read what he first said........that the brother met them at the airport.......

I don't post often any more, but when he mentioned, brother being around, it just reminded me of one of my brother-husband situations in Sosua, where a young lady was telling me he was her brother and my American and Dominican friend, were telling me other........and it turned out other...............

So, now I find out that both she and her brother met him at the airport.........which makes me think that we all are being taken for a ride..............

And now, I hope, if he is telling the truth ?............And him talking about her taking it slow, that he was able to get some sort of pleasure from her other than the smiles, he got while spending his hard earned pesos................

on her, the brother (?) , that he had to feed, because he was always around and the family...................

Last edited:

Jumbo

Bronze
Jul 8, 2005
Read his other posts. She travels with him. He is not present in Australia but works in the power industry in other 3rd world countries where she might not need visas or visas are easy to get. He has not divorced yet because he is not in Aussie land to finalize sh1t.

Glenn, you might be better off by not asking any personal questions or telling any personal stuff on DR1. People seem to be getting bitter and way negative about anything posted around here. Since you are not posting about hookers in Sousa or being in the Dominican most people will not care.

Glad you had a good visit to Santiago and not all women in the DR are online scammers or whores. The remarks in this thread suck for the most part. Meet the man and his GF and then sling your sh1t.

Status
Not open for further replies.