Gordito's Fresh Mex in Cabarete / Ocean Dream Plaza

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I like to check out new restaurants and tried Gordito's Fresh Mex today located in the Ocean Dream Plaza.

They offer large Burritos for 3 to 5 dollars and the spicey pork burrito was worth the trip from Sosua.

I wanted the Fresh Fish Taco but apparently they are so busy that they just ran out as I arrived after 2pm.

belgiank

Silver
Jun 13, 2009
Gordito's is great value for money. Their burritos are great and their tacos are even better. Great people, friendly and quick service. I heard their bowls are fantastic as well, but have not tried them yet.

TravelHippo

Mar 24, 2008
I was there today too and loved it! I had the pork burrito as well this time which was delicious and well worth the money. I'll certainly be returning next time I am in the area.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
The funny part is that the buriitos in Sosua cost 20% more so I will go to Cabarate from now on.

This was a fluke chance as I was looking for another preferred restaurant in this area.

Cilantro grows here naturally and if you want to .....I tasted that today !

CoreyH

Mar 5, 2010
I don't know how long it will continue, but they've been having live American/British music. It's a couple of guys with guitars, and I think they open the mike. It's a nice setting to have something to eat and meet new people. 7-9 on Monday nights.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
Apparently Windygay was the first to start this thread so I will defer to his opinions

Dec 21, 2008
Great Food

Stopped at Gordito's on Thursday after a great day of quadding in the mountains with Mr Silver Fox and some friends. Food was hot, plenty of it and very, very good. Hands down I would eat there again. Four of us ate for 675 RD. Not going to return to the Burrito Hut anytime. Food quality there was iffy at best the last time and that was after a few cervesa...usually after a few, most anything tastes good...not there anymore....way too expensive and the portions are way to small.

Hope Gordito's does well and keeps up the great food.

mike l

Silver
Sep 4, 2007
I wouldn't eat the burrito in sosua again if it was cheaper. Too salty and far less tasty than gorditos imo

I concur and I tried for the last and final time and was appalled when the girl that was slicing and diceing the salsa sampled the reciple with a spoon and put the spoon back in the sauce.

If you are going to show case your employees skills in a restaurant enviroment then proper sanitary regulations bust be adhered to.

At Gorditos, the plastic gloves were game ON !

Dec 21, 2008
I concur and I tried for the last and final time and was appalled when the girl that was slicing and diceing the salsa sampled the reciple with a spoon and put the spoon back in the sauce.

If you are going to show case your employees skills in a restaurant enviroment then proper sanitary regulations bust be adhered to.

At Gorditos, the plastic gloves were game ON !

Thanks for the heads up...I too won't return to the Burrito Hut again.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
gosh, how time flies!

reviving old old old thread to give my review of gorditos. went there with miesposo and his best friend plus family. we had a giant meal for four adults and two kids with tacos, burritos, nachos, drinks and every possible side dish you can imagine. 1200 pesos for all this. and we ate so much we could hardly breathe :)
the food was great and fresh. you can watch your stuff being made so you can see everything is clean and done properly. the owner is a charming dude running all sorts of errands: he cooks, cleans and even holds the door open for his guests, including this cute sporty girl with the best set of frosty nipples i have seen in a long time. i held the open for her as well and miesposo had to tell me off for staring :)

but where was i... oh yes, the food. so, the food was great. everyone was skeptical at my recommendation of hard shell tacos (i've been there before) but finally everyone concluded they were great. i had fish, beef and chicken tacos, all excellent. their guacamole is just what is should be and their spicy salsa was just perfect, hot enough to give you a tingle but mild enough not to overpower the food.
service was good, attentive and very cheerful, even with the whole place packed.

thumbs up from dv8!