Traveling by guaguas - Puerto Plata area

kiki65

Aug 1, 2011
Hi,
I am looking for some advice and directions for traveling by guaguas. I am wondering how to tell what the number or letter of the guaguas is, and how to know which ones to take. I have been to the DR a few times but have always relied on taxis and tours.

We will be staying at Cofressi beach (lifestyles) near ocean world. I would like to take a couple of short trips out of the resort to go and look around the town, without need to take a tour or taxi.

Can any of you give directions on how to get from Cofressi beach (lifestyles/be live) to the following:
the old Fort
the amber museum
the rum factory

also, I know this is a bit farther, but is there a guaguas that goes to the cable car, or for that will I need to take the taxi?

Is there anywhere else that is not too far away that you would recommend as being a good little visit (I am traveling with an older family member who would like to see around a bit but we should not be away from the resort for too long as that will be too tiring).

Looking forward to your ideas.

k

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
These stops are easy to get to. The guagua turn around (first/last stop) is on the highway in front of Cofresi. Take the guagua downtown and get off at Central Park (Parqueo Central). From here you are within walking distance to the old fort (walk north 2 blocks to the Malecon (oceanfront) and west a few blocks to the fort. The Amber Museum is about 2 blocks southeast of Central Park. To ge to the Rum Factory continue on the guagua towards Playa Dorada. About half way there, on the left, is the Rum factory. You can't miss it.

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
Once you are in town, I would suggest that you take a cab to the cable car. There is a guagua, but it lets you off at the bottom of a very large hill. It is worth a couple of dollars to have a cab let you off right at the entrance to the cable car.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I forgot the cable car. It is the same guagua from Cofresi to Central Park. It is about half way between those 2 points. It does let you off at the lower roadway. There are always motochonchos waiting around that area and will give you a ride up for probably 20-30 pesos. You will see a sign with an arrow "Teleferico" on the right heading from Cofresi towards POP.

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
These stops are easy to get to. The guagua turn around (first/last stop) is on the highway in front of Cofresi. Take the guagua downtown and get off at Central Park (Parqueo Central). From here you are within walking distance to the old fort (walk north 2 blocks to the Malecon (oceanfront) and west a few blocks to the fort. The Amber Museum is about 2 blocks southeast of Central Park. To ge to the Rum Factory continue on the guagua towards Playa Dorada. About half way there, on the left, is the Rum factory. You can't miss it.

~Well Belmont I must say that this is a very well coordinated route for the OP~ Nicely written if I must say so myself.

kiki65

Aug 1, 2011
Wow, this is great! Thank you for such complete directions, it sounds easy enough. We are now set for our adventure :)

k

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Wow, this is great! Thank you for such complete directions, it sounds easy enough. We are now set for our adventure :)

k
Make sure you have small bills to pay exact fare. (I'm not sure of current fare).

kiki65

Aug 1, 2011
Are there any other short journeys out of the resort that we could take on our own that you would recommend? We are not all physically fit, so not very much walking......

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
You can take the guagua all the way to Sosua, will take about 45min-1hr. Nice way to kill a half day. Check out the Synagogue Museum for some local history. Or, from POP, you can catch a bus (Caribe Tours, Metro Tours, Javilla Tours) to Santiago, about an hour ride. Caribe and Metro busses are very comfortable, Javilla less so but a bit cheaper fares. In Santiago you will see life in a major Dominican City. Place to visit include Centro Leon. Sosua can be a half day trip. Santiago will take most of the day.

Chicagoan

May 27, 2011
When you go to the cable car, make sure you have pesos. If you pay in USD, they charge more.

TheExpert

Sep 13, 2011
www.dreamridelimousines.com.au
<!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:WordDocument> <w:View>Normal</w:View> <w:Zoom>0</w:Zoom> <w:punctuationKerning/> <w:ValidateAgainstSchemas/> <w:SaveIfXMLInvalid>false</w:SaveIfXMLInvalid> <w:IgnoreMixedContent>false</w:IgnoreMixedContent> <w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText>false</w:AlwaysShowPlaceholderText> <w:Compatibility> <w:BreakWrappedTables/> <w:SnapToGridInCell/> <w:WrapTextWithPunct/> <w:UseAsianBreakRules/> <w:DontGrowAutofit/> </w:Compatibility> <w:BrowserLevel>MicrosoftInternetExplorer4</w:BrowserLevel> </w:WordDocument> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 9]><xml> <w:LatentStyles DefLockedState="false" LatentStyleCount="156"> </w:LatentStyles> </xml><![endif]--><!--[if gte mso 10]> <style> /* Style Definitions */ table.MsoNormalTable {mso-style-name:"Table Normal"; mso-tstyle-rowband-size:0; mso-tstyle-colband-size:0; mso-style-noshow:yes; mso-style-parent:""; mso-padding-alt:0in 5.4pt 0in 5.4pt; mso-para-margin:0in; mso-para-margin-bottom:.0001pt; mso-pagination:widow-orphan; font-size:10.0pt; font-family:"Times New Roman"; mso-ansi-language:#0400; mso-fareast-language:#0400; mso-bidi-language:#0400;} </style> <![endif]-->
The guaguas are mostly minivans and if you are lucky, they are not very full. However, if necessary they put as much people in them as possible, which make them very crowded and uncomfortable.

May 29, 2006
Also ALWAYS ask for the price when you get in, or ask someone else who is waiting for the Guagua. Otherwise a 20 peso trip may cost you 100. Funny how these guys who are taking in 10 peso notes all day never have change...

It's not crowded until the guy taking money is hanging out the door and at least one person has a chicken with them.

Jan 22, 2010
guagua price 20 pesos from Cofresi to city

motorbikes inside city from 25 up to 50 depending distance

so almost nothing for lifestyle visitors

T.E.