Crossing the Border to Haiti on a Motorcycle?

martes_dr

Dec 5, 2010
Hi,
I wanted to ask if it's possible to cross the border to Haiti on your own motorcycle. I already read that it's not easy to cross the border with a rental car, but what's about your own motorcycle?
Thank you very much!

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
Of course you can. No different than a car. Assume you speak good creole. The question is why go to such a place? If you want to see poverty we have enough right here. A bit more dangerous on a moto, especially if you appear to be a gringo or tourist. I would wear a helmet, full face shield, gloves and jacket. That way you are disguised a bit. Pay up your insurance first and good luck if we do not hear from you again. Not being pessimistic, just realistic. Its a very very dangerous place.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I doubt the insurance is good over the border. As zoom says there is nothing at the border to interest even the most infantile brain. Very dirty and depressed areas around the border.

Chuck T

Banned
Nov 30, 2010
Hi,
I wanted to ask if it's possible to cross the border to Haiti on your own motorcycle. I already read that it's not easy to cross the border with a rental car, but what's about your own motorcycle?
Thank you very much!
Ride ole junk bike, no flashy harly davidson, or they'll take the bike and you'll end up walking probably.

HS10

Feb 17, 2008
I once tried to enter Haiti, at the Diabon border, with our own personal car. we were not allowed entry with the vehicle. They said we needed a special permit to be obtained in Santo Domingo.
This was about 2 years ago. I don't know if anything has changed or if motorcycles are different.

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
I once tried to enter Haiti, at the Diabon border, with our own personal car. we were not allowed entry with the vehicle. They said we needed a special permit to be obtained in Santo Domingo.
This was about 2 years ago. I don't know if anything has changed or if motorcycles are different.

Withour checking, I suspect you are right, Insurance and plates and bribes would have to be in order.

Jul 4, 2010
It's not redundant to repeat that in traveling within Haiti, be it on business, pleasure or volunteer work, carrying a full load of good intentions will not save your soul. Keep in mind that the road to Hell is paved with material donated by Good Intentions International Ltd company.

Fleur de Santiago

Sep 20, 2010
Hi,
Thank you very much!

It all depends on the border you are planning to cross. Up north, you can cross over into Cap Haitian and enjoy the excellent beaches and historical sites. You can not cross over in the south, into PauP, as the water is too high, only buses and jeepetas can make it over.

Regardless of north or south, you do need a permit to cross, just as Haitians need a permit to cross in their vehicles to the DR. This permit can be obtained in Sto Domingo at the Haitian embassy or in Santiago at the Haitian Consulate.

There are group rides/rallies almost every year that go from here to there, on Harleys as well as 4-wheelers. If you are interested, PM me and I can give you some contact info.