exchanging pesos for British pounds

Status
Not open for further replies.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
but the price will be bad. what i would do is to go to RUSA, tell them how much do you want and agree on the price. then come to buy monies next day. RUSA has many exchange places, all over the north coast, if they have no pounds in one shop they will get them for you.

May 29, 2006
If you are heading back to the UK, you can always get US dollars and then exchange them for pounds when you get home.

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
If you are heading back to the UK, you can always get US dollars and then exchange them for pounds when you get home.

This is probably not a bad idea, or maybe even euros. I actually got a better rate when i came out here by buying dollars in london and then changing those into pesos, than i would have had from changing my pounds directly into pesos.

So, maybe this begs a new question...any advice on where to buy euros??

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
Your best bet is more then likely go to the airport exchange

You will get paid at a deep discount, at the airport, this is the WORST place to change currency.
Buy EUR or USD, as suggested, at any "reputable" cambista.

dv8

Gold
Sep 27, 2006
what i said above applies to euros as well: go to RUSA, tell them how much do you need and they will get it for you no problem. may take a day (or more, if you need significant amount of monies). i have done business with RUSA before and they are excellent.

Tamborista

hasta la tambora
Apr 4, 2005
i've not heard of Rusa...is there one in Sosua?

Caribe Express in Cabarete will have Libre Esterlina as well as Euros @ a fair rate, remember you are buying not selling, so the rate will be a little higher than selling. Unless you are buying thousands, any cambio can get you either currency with a day's notice. Vimenca has fair rates in Sosua.

hughatthepub

Mar 13, 2007
Banco Santa Cruz buys (and presumably also sells - at least they quote a price) ? Sterling these days. Also Swiss Francs and the usual $, Can $ and €'s

Vinyasa

Bronze
Dec 22, 2010
www.kieranbarry.com
Caribe Express in Cabarete will have Libre Esterlina as well as Euros @ a fair rate, remember you are buying not selling, so the rate will be a little higher than selling. Unless you are buying thousands, any cambio can get you either currency with a day's notice. Vimenca has fair rates in Sosua.

went today, but they dont sell, only buy.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Probably still easier to go to any commercial bank and buy dollars. Banco Popular today is selling dollars for RD$38.10. No problem exchanging dollars for pounds whne you get there.

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
I saw a thread on this a while back but cant seem to find it (and yes, Ken, i did do a search for it!)

Anyone know where i can buy British pounds?

Thanks

I think the post you refer to was one started by RJacksonHorner (or something like that) where I offered to help out with an exchange when he was due to go back to England. He did not turn up due to 'Family Illness' so the ?'s are still sitting here. Get in touch with me if you are coming to Puerto Plata & let me know how much you require in ? Sterling & I'll check to see what is available in the stash!!

I will exchange at the daily rate for RD $ rather than the BANK rate!!

For the person looking for Euros, I have some of those too. ~ Grahame.

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
I think the post you refer to was one started by RJacksonHorner (or something like that) where I offered to help out with an exchange when he was due to go back to England. He did not turn up due to 'Family Illness' so the ?'s are still sitting here. Get in touch with me if you are coming to Puerto Plata & let me know how much you require in ? Sterling & I'll check to see what is available in the stash!!

I will exchange at the daily rate for RD $ rather than the BANK rate!!

For the person looking for Euros, I have some of those too. ~ Grahame.
With all due respect to a longtime DR1er, but Grahame, isn't it a bit reckless to invite having a knife pressed to your throat by publicly announcing you have a stash of cash?

BushBaby

Silver
Jan 1, 2002
www.casabush.org
With all due respect to a longtime DR1er, but Grahame, isn't it a bit reckless to invite having a knife pressed to your throat by publicly announcing you have a stash of cash?

ONLY to those who don't KNOW me belmont! :knockedou

I simply said I have some sterling I can exchange (which I DO) & I most definitely did not say I have a stash IN THE HOUSE (which I do NOT) - I just know where it is & how to get hold of it quickly if needed!

YES I am a long term DR1er - more importantly I am a long time LIVER in & SURVIVOR of the DR culture. I read Ginnie & Chirimoya's books whilst they were being written!!!! :devious: ~ Grahame.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009

Senor/a Belmont..... please, do not wake the sleeping lion...!!!!!

Just a simple currency transaction between friends...

Status
Not open for further replies.