Age issue in DR

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
AMET police officer of Santiago city removed from service (fired) for been 37 years old, the girl is clamming discrimination against Dominican women as there are plenty of male officers in same age and still on service...
This is one the biggest problem of DR society, a 35 or more years of age is considered an old person in DR.

That's why I did start driving a Taxi after doing of salesman for many years.

JJ

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
AMET police officer of Santiago city removed from service (fired) for been 37 years old, the girl is clamming discrimination against Dominican women as there are plenty of male officers in same age and still on service...
This is one the biggest problem of DR society, a 35 or more years of age is considered an old person in DR.

That's why I did start driving a Taxi after doing of salesman for many years.

JJ

Dude......don't do drugs on your day off.......

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
no idea what in the world you are attempting to tell us?

Age discrimination in the Dominican Republic starts 20 years earlier than it does in the States for Men but just about the same age for Women is what I got out of it.

Expecting this to catch up with him soon, the OP changed to a more "age appropriate" career field.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
He is saying that there is a lot of age discrimination that would be legally sinful in the US and many other nations. The AMET cop was released because she was 37 years old! Or at least that is why she said she was released...who knows what the real reason was.

HB

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
He is saying that there is a lot of age discrimination that would be legally sinful in the US and many other nations. The AMET cop was released because she was 37 years old! Or at least that is why she said she was released...who knows what the real reason was.

HB
How many people do you know that have ever said "I got fired because I did a bad job?"

Everybody is a victim, I need to sue, where's my lawyer, my reputation has been damaged, somebody owes me? Especially Dominicans...

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
Dude......don't do drugs on your day off.......

They sent me for a random drug and alcohol screening last Monday in my job I passed! Never did drug, alcohol and cigarette yes but quit long time ago...

JJ

rice&beans

Silver
May 16, 2010
They sent me for a random drug and alcohol screening last Monday in my job I passed! Never did drug, alcohol and cigarette yes but quit long time ago...

JJ

I'm just bustin a little bit, I'm glad your good........

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
It's the same in the States too - nobody apparently wants a 45 year old engineer with 18 years experience - they'd rather have someone out of school and pay them peanuts - except I'd work for the shells!

bachata

Aug 18, 2007
My friend Quiko who worked doing of "visitador a medico" after 25 years in service loose his job.years of sending application everywhere he was finally called for an interview. after a long talk the interviewer said the only problem I see in you is the age as you are too old for the position.

This guy got so mad that said a couple bad words and asked the interviewer to let him go to bed with his wife to prove him that he was still in good shape.

He was struggling!

My friend end up starting his own business, doing steel fence, and screen for windows and door "Herreria" he never did this kind of work before.

JJ

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
Everything in the States is a lawsuit when it comes to getting rid of non-productive employees. Managers are taught to stop managing and dedicate manweeks of their time and many gig's of storage to extremely specific documentation of an employee's shortcoming and then wait for the recommendation to go through the approval processes at HR, Legal and finally the company Human Capital Director. In that time a business component can suffer an unrecoverable loss of morale amongst the productive team members as overall productivity loss will spread beyond the original source of the problem.

Many in Senior Management will advise line managers as follows:

"You can do all that paperwork or you can overspend your labor pool budget by one Full Time Equivalent before the end of the fiscal year and have to lay someone off. I won't mention it in your review."

There are all kinds of laws which were well intendedly enacted to protect good, hard working employees from unfair treatment but as often happens with these kinds of laws, every body BUT the good, hard working employee uses them to their advantage.....it's called "working the system".....so businesses adapt.

At the end of the day businesses will hire who they want to and get rid of who they want to, promote who they want to and assign bonuses as they see fit regardless of the laws. Every labor law has dozens of exceptions and loopholes. That's why there are so many lawyers in the field and very few of the cases actually ever go to trial. It's: "I'm not culpable, you're not culpable, take this check and sign the non-disclosure agreement".

Quite frankly, I like the Dominican way better: "If an employee makes me money, I'm keeping them". That whole separation pay thing should be rethunk tho...

belmont

Bronze
Oct 9, 2009
Quite frankly, I like the Dominican way better: "If an employee makes me money, I'm keeping them". That whole separation pay thing should be rethunk tho...

You have no idea. I guarantee, per capita, more cases are filed with the Dominican Labor Board than cases filed in the US. The difference in the DR is that the employer has little or no chance to prevail in court.

Bigocean

Nov 25, 2010
You have no idea. I guarantee, per capita, more cases are filed with the Dominican Labor Board than cases filed in the US. The difference in the DR is that the employer has little or no chance to prevail in court.

Agreed. It reminds me of a friend of mine (Puerto Rican) who runs a fairly large business in Santiago, he told me that he "...used to like Dominicans, until he had them as employees." The sense of entitlement is a large, common and monetarily advantageous component of Dominican employee-hood (if that is a word).

Chip

Platinum
Jul 25, 2007
Santiago
Agreed. It reminds me of a friend of mine (Puerto Rican) who runs a fairly large business in Santiago, he told me that he "...used to like Dominicans, until he had them as employees." The sense of entitlement is a large, common and monetarily advantageous component of Dominican employee-hood (if that is a word).

I understand you point as when I had to let go a housekeeper we had she was shocked at what the Labor Dept. calculated as her severance pay. Still a sense of entitlement is not an exclusive Dominican trait - look at the US - 4+ trillion over budget worth of entitlements in the last 2.5 years.