calling and texting orange from the u.s.

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
I have been trying to google search this and cant really come up with anything. i have a couple of general questions about Orange telephones.

It doesnt cost anything on my end because i have unlimited data and talk to D.R.

If i txt message someone who is using a prepaid account with Orange in RD do they get charge pesos/minutes?
I always remembered my ex saying that i was stealing all her minutes

The other is if i call you on your prepaid account orange cell, you pick up, and we talk. Do you lose minutes/pesos?

I txt msg my friends all the time and sometimes call them. I feel bad if i am stealing all their minutes.

Ken

Platinum
Jan 1, 2002
I have been trying to google search this and cant really come up with anything. i have a couple of general questions about Orange telephones.

It doesnt cost anything on my end because i have unlimited data and talk to D.R.

If i txt message someone who is using a prepaid account with Orange in RD do they get charge pesos/minutes?
I always remembered my ex saying that i was stealing all her minutes

The other is if i call you on your prepaid account orange cell, you pick up, and we talk. Do you lose minutes/pesos?

I txt msg my friends all the time and sometimes call them. I feel bad if i am stealing all their minutes.

In the DR you pay only when you make a call. You don't pay when you receive a call. I have never understood how the US companies can justify charging for incoming calls.

Jan 17, 2009
No, no charge for receiving text messages or phone calls here. Even if your friend does not have any money left on his/her account, she can still receive calls and messages.

bachata

Aprendiz de todo profesional de nada
Aug 18, 2007
Just ask your friend to get a Viva cellphone, you will be able to send and recieve text messages over the internet for free using the ping pong feature on the Viva Dominican Republic | Tu Voz website.

JJ

Feb 7, 2007
Incoming calls and text messages on cellular phones, on all 4 carriers, are free of charge. Regardless of whether you send or call from within or outside of the Dominican Republic.