Told to move out

Jan

Bronze
Jan 3, 2002
Santo Domingo Este
www.colonialzone-dr.com
I am renting a room in an apartment. I was told about 6 months ago, along with the other renters, to start looking for a new place to live because the owner was putting the apartment up for sale.

He told me that he would give me an extra months deposit to help me move.

He still has not sold the apartment but I found a place to live and am moving this week. I asked him about the money to help me move since he told me I had to find a new place to live and he said that he cannot give me any money because he has not sold the apartment yet.

I heard someplace that since he told me to move out because he was selling that he was to give me some type of compensation. Is this true? If this is true anyone have a copy of this law so I can show him. All I want is the last 2 weeks Im staying there for free. He does not have to give me any money. I thought that seemed very fair.

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
Wow. Did you pay the initial two deposits?? Do you have any contract with him? In my experience, the owner should refund the two deposits on termination of the contract. Or better still, give just one deposit out, incase you decide to move out before the end of agreed date. However, many dominican owners prefer to let the outgoing tenant go without paying the last month.

Anastacio

Banned
Feb 22, 2010
Depends on the situation. Many Dominicans will try to screw you if they are a little skint at the time of moving. They will bill it up to , unwashed pans, uncleaned apartment on final inspection (this is always going to be charged to you no mattr what if they want to, an apartment can nevr be too clean), even the stupid things like general wear of pans and the stove. If you have furnished the apartment yourself then all I would advise you to do before handing the keys back is to repaint it in the same colours, and do it yourself, local labour cheap is generally shocking when it comes to decor. Unless it was in writing then you have no leg to stand on. If you have no contract at all, then be happy to get anything back. If you want all your money and you have it in writing then expect a long drawn out process. Personally I'd take what he gives you as the stress, time and hassle only relys stress, makes you paranoid and in general makes life less enjoyable in the short term.
The law is always on the side of the tenant, but you need to get things done legally before any law will be on your side.
Good luck, I've had a mass of experience with landlords all over this country and in general they try it on, stand your ground, but keep cool, I once lost my rag with a landlord and got nothing back but headaches and a receipt for broken tiles that were not broken when I left the place, marble tiles, lol. Bastard!

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
I don't know the law, but I do know the experiences of my Dominican friends. 2 of my friends on separate occasions have negotiated an inducement from their landlords in exchange for moving out. These inducements were different and apart from the security deposits that they were due.

Bottom line: don't take your landlord at face value...