What's with the water?

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
I don't know if it's just my apartment building or what, but what is with the water these last few days in Puerto Plata? My apartment has never had water problems. There is always water flowing through the taps. When the power is off there's still water because of the tinacos. Only once has the water ever run out.... until this week, twice the water has run out. Once on Sunday and then last night into today. Sunday, after a few hours the water returned. Today, after returning home from work there was water.... Is the water company doing something? Are they not sending what as often as they should have or what? With it being so hot, it is really really unfortunate not having water at all times... and now even though there is water, it had good pressure for about an hour, and then now it's basically trickling through and we're worried it's going to stop again..... Does anyone know if they're just working on something? Or are they just being jerks? Or maybe, all of a sudden, the apartment building decided to revolt against us all.... I really hope there's not a need to buy a truck of water everyday...

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
If there is a tinaco there needs to be a pump to get the water to it. I'm not aware there is pressure city water in POP or anywhere else, I'd doubt it.

So the problem might be with the folks that administer the water. No power? Broken pump? Inattention?

zoomzx11

Gold
Jan 21, 2006
After living here five years and leaving for one I had forgotten how nothing works. One day its the water, next the electric, then the plumbing pipes, then EdenNorte, its never ending. Guess I have to either leave or get used to it all over again. Does anyone know if its less painful to get used to the state of disrepair the second time around? Better get out my gratitude list and be happy for the basic things that I have and that do work. At any rate its a beautiful day this morning.

cobraboy

Pro-Bono Demolition Hobbyist
Jul 24, 2004
After living here five years and leaving for one I had forgotten how nothing works. One day its the water, next the electric, then the plumbing pipes, then EdenNorte, its never ending. Guess I have to either leave or get used to it all over again. Does anyone know if its less painful to get used to the state of disrepair the second time around? Better get out my gratitude list and be happy for the basic things that I have and that do work. At any rate its a beautiful day this morning.
It's not that difficult. You expect the best and plan for the worst.

Heck, we've had some power outages lately that drained the inverter system. So I've rigged my 3k gasoline generator to plug into the house system whan that happens. It even has a 220 outlet, so I can plug the water pump into it to either pump water into the tinaco or have better house pressure.

Lemons-->lemonade.

Roll with it, don't fight it...

Conchman

Silver
Jul 3, 2002
www.oceanworld.net
Yes there is a problem with the water pressure from Coraplata, one of more of their pumps are broken (confirmed by one of their supervisors) and the pressure has been very low or they have not been able to supply water at all. In Cofresi we are having problems already for about 2 or 3 weeks.

vida

Mar 18, 2010
Here in Santo Domingo only 13% of the households pay for water(yesterday Diario Libre). I am surprised that the service is as good as it is in Santo Domingo.

tink23

Jul 15, 2008
Yes there is a problem with the water pressure from Coraplata, one of more of their pumps are broken (confirmed by one of their supervisors) and the pressure has been very low or they have not been able to supply water at all. In Cofresi we are having problems already for about 2 or 3 weeks.

Ok, thanks for the info. So I guess I can expect for this to continue.... I hope not for long!

Ringo

On Vacation!
Mar 6, 2003
We have had problems with Coraplata for years. Calling about not having water and 5 guys show up and stare at the cistern inlet for 1 or 2 hours without any water coming in and cistern just about empty and they…. Leave. I have repaired pipes to our neighborhood myself so many times that I lost count. Last week no water for 7 days and now I can Pee with more force than the water coming in.

Last month they went around our area and disconnected the water pipes to many homes. One being our horse property that we had been told by Coraplata did not need a contract being agriculture. We called and got hold of the guy that cut us off (I’d seen the truck in the area that morning) and he wanted $15K pesos to reconnect but we would never pay for water again…. No contract needed. While they waited outside our gate we got our Guzman Ariza attorney on the cell phone and explained the situation and when done handed the phone to the Coraplata guy. He turned white and we were reconnected in one hour. We now have a contract for $0.

I think that CB makes a very good point that I interpret as: If you live here you had better be able to adjust or find your own solutions. Though I would like to know what the problem is I’m not going to wait for them to fix it and certainly not going to believe the reason.

I’ve had to go investigate, learn, change and adjust our lifestyle but most of all…. I DO. Being a home with some room, we added an additional 10K gallon cistern with a rain roof system. We added valves on our pool system to pump into the cistern if needed. On another note we have added wind and solar power to our inverter/battery system so not to run the gen. But then again, we have the gen. if and when needed.

Most people can actually DO something to make things a little better with some creative and practical solutions that with some thinking, learning, physical work and a little expenditure can do a lot more then they think.

OR you can sit, wait, complain, get promises and be miserable while doing so.

Kuat

Apr 17, 2012
We have had problems with Coraplata for years. Calling about not having water and 5 guys show up and stare at the cistern inlet for 1 or 2 hours without any water coming in and cistern just about empty and they…. Leave. I have repaired pipes to our neighborhood myself so many times that I lost count. Last week no water for 7 days and now I can Pee with more force than the water coming in.

Last month they went around our area and disconnected the water pipes to many homes. One being our horse property that we had been told by Coraplata did not need a contract being agriculture. We called and got hold of the guy that cut us off (I’d seen the truck in the area that morning) and he wanted $15K pesos to reconnect but we would never pay for water again…. No contract needed. While they waited outside our gate we got our Guzman Ariza attorney on the cell phone and explained the situation and when done handed the phone to the Coraplata guy. He turned white and we were reconnected in one hour. We now have a contract for $0.

I think that CB makes a very good point that I interpret as: If you live here you had better be able to adjust or find your own solutions. Though I would like to know what the problem is I’m not going to wait for them to fix it and certainly not going to believe the reason.

I’ve had to go investigate, learn, change and adjust our lifestyle but most of all…. I DO. Being a home with some room, we added an additional 10K gallon cistern with a rain roof system. We added valves on our pool system to pump into the cistern if needed. On another note we have added wind and solar power to our inverter/battery system so not to run the gen. But then again, we have the gen. if and when needed.

Most people can actually DO something to make things a little better with some creative and practical solutions that with some thinking, learning, physical work and a little expenditure can do a lot more then they think.

OR you can sit, wait, complain, get promises and be miserable while doing so.

What about rich areas of the country. Are things just as f*cked there too?

I want to move to DR but I can't deal with water shutting off, electricity shutting off, poor quality of water, etc.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
What about rich areas of the country. Are things just as f*cked there too?

I want to move to DR but I can't deal with water shutting off, electricity shutting off, poor quality of water, etc.

Then you will really have to do your homework or just move into a place like Sea Horse Ranch.

yacht chef

Bronze
Sep 13, 2009
Ringo what do you have to do or pay to have a guzman mouth pice on speed dial this this is another one of my fantisey i may be able to aford in the DR ! I reley would love to know . This is like some Tony Sapprno kind of ****

donP

Dec 14, 2008
They care about you.

(...) but what is with the water these last few days in Puerto Plata?

Well, the water suppliers are just being very responsible and concerned about your health.
By shutting your water off they simply want to make sure that you do not consume any tap water in these difficult days of contaminated water (bu the heavy rains in recent days).

Now, isn't that a nice move? ;) :cheeky:

donP