genuine??

Status
Not open for further replies.

lea126

Jul 21, 2011
Hi all, looking for advice really and i know how some of that advice can sometimes be harsh but i can take it!

I am currently about 2 years into a relationship with a wonderful Dominican man, I am a CAnadian Citizen and met him whilst working in th DR. As soon as we met we just clicked, within a week his stuff had gradually moved into my apartment and we spent every night/day/spare minute together. We would not go out to discos or clubs, just preferred to spend night in watching DVDs, chilling out..that sort of thing. This continued for about 7 months, then I had to move back to Canada for work. The last day was very sad and tearful and I actually thought that it would go no further. I know all about sankies as I lived in the DR for 1 1/2 years before I met him and had my fair share trying their luck!! May I add during the 7 months he didnt ask for any money and I visited his family home a few times and met his very religious parents!! They are lovely and kind and very welcoming!

When I left we decided to keep in touch via Skype/MSN/Facebook and telephone. Without fail 3 - 4 times a day we would make contact either by him calling me or me calling him. I then returned for a vacation about 5 months after I left him and spent an amazing week together, where he gave me a beautiful engagement ring, engraved with the date. This is where we decided that what we had had a future and just wasnt a fling. Again I spent some time with his family and friends in his home town which was lovely and as I speak Spainish I got to know them well.

I unfortunatly havent seen him again for about 5/6 months due to work. However we speak every day 4 - 5times, both through him calling me, me calling him, skype msn etc etc. We can spend hours just talking about general life and our future. He has never asked for money NEVER and apparently have no interest in moving to Canada as of yet. He actually has asked me to move back to DR to be with him and I will be relocating in about 3 weeks to start our future. He has found us an apartment and paid the deposit and will be paying 1/2 the rent.

He seems to be genuinly in love with me. Of course its not all happy..we argue like most couples.usually about jealousy as we cant be with each other, but we work through it. In the past I believe he has tried to play women....but for some reason when he tells me he loves me I believe him completley.

I need to add he works in a resort as a receptionist, so that put up a red flag, but he knows i hate it so has said he will look for alternative work when I get back.....He wants us to move to his home town to be close to his family and I want to live in Bavaro to find a good job.

He isnt rushing me to get married............he says if i never marry him its ok as long as we are together........and as I said hes willing to pay 1/2 to everything.

I read on these forums about sankies and I worry like my family oeos that I am getting played. I genuinly dont think I am, I just want to see what you guys opinions are to be honest, It would be nice to hear an outsiders point of view even if it may be harsh.......

gonzo two

Banned
Jan 13, 2010
who knows ? but I don't think you are going to listen anyway so why waste everyones time by asking

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I say give it time. For me, long distance relationships never work. Move to Dr and figure it all out. Sounds like a match made in heaven. For every 100 relationships, one will eventually work.

Who knows, maybe when you are not there, he goes to work and home. Church on the weekends. His mind is geared only towards your return and he is the most faithful man in the world. One would hope, correct?

What do you think?

SKing

Silver
Nov 22, 2007
i say give it time. For me, long distance relationships never work. Move to dr and figure it all out. Sounds like a match made in heaven. For every 100 relationships, one will eventually work.

Who knows, maybe when you are not there, he goes to work and home. Church on the weekends. His mind is geared only towards your return and he is the most faithful man in the world. One would hope, correct?

What do you think?

bwaaaaaaaaaaaahaaaaaaaaaa!!!

Shalena

jrjrth

Bronze
Mar 24, 2011
I say give it time. For me, long distance relationships never work. Move to Dr and figure it all out. Sounds like a match made in heaven. For every 100 relationships, one will eventually work.

What do you think?

Bronxboy

~Sounds like the start of a Harlequin Romance Novel~ Your many talents should be commended...on to Chapter 2oooooooo....

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
Bronxboy

~Sounds like the start of a Harlequin Romance Novel~ Your many talents should be commended...on to Chapter 2oooooooo....

Sh*t, am I growing soft? lol

Hey, let's see. Maybe he is the genuine thing?

greydread

Platinum
Jan 3, 2007
I don't get it. Why would anyone uproot to another whole country just for the sake of a relationship?

If things don't work out your whole life is left upside down and you've got no real reason to be there but if you try to return home you've lost continuity in your career and personal life.

I say stay "engaged", never marry. Visit more often, never move. Changing the parameters of the relationship could be its ruin.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I don't get it. Why would anyone uproot to another whole country just for the sake of a relationship?

My thoughts exactly.

I guess she is not lucky enough to find someone locally. These women love that latino flavor.

I know, she is going to say that the hometown boys are boring, not attentive, blah blah blah.

I remember when I was juggling three hometown ladies, two in DR and two in CR.

Then the recession hit and I could not afford to travel like before. Did they wait for me? Of course not!!!!!!!

I say stick to relationships close to home. My opinion and I will always stick by it. Too much left in the mind when we are not there. Is she faithful? What is she doing right now? How is she spending the money I Western Union every month? etc....

TOOOOOOOOO complicated, period!!!!

Berzin

Banned
Nov 17, 2004
A receptionist in a Dominican hotel doesn't make enough money to pay for half a chimichurra, much less half the bills to run a household.

I smell a sock puppet.

lea126

Jul 21, 2011
Firstly, I was asking for your opinions because some of you are still having very successful relationships with a Dominican and living there permenantly - very happy. Also, I think that at the beginning of every relationship you worry about how its going to turn out! I would like to add though that im sure most of you that have been wiith a dominican has worried at the start about their intentions, if not you must have been very confident. My plan is to give it a go and see how it pans out.

One thing I will say is that I have been following a few threads on this and there are some very bitter people, who have obvioulsy been hurt by a dominican/sanky that feel nobody should be happy. Remember I have lived in the country and have met many sankies and watched how they work.....they have certain mannerisms and you can tell by the way in which they act/ what they wear/what they have etc etc. So far my fiance hasnt shown signs of any of these.

I asked your opinions as some of you offer very good advice and as i said have made it work for yourselves.

With regards to finding someone in my own country, I have dated men from different countries and cultures and unfortunatly you cant help who you fall in love with. Its nothing to do with his 'latin flavor' or the colour of his skin or what he looks like...it's the man he is. If we all just kept to our own race/nationality then we may never find someone we love.

With regards to moving to the DR, this was going to happen anyway even if I was not with him. This is because as a country I love their culture, music and people. I have many friends there who I have met outwith the tourist resorts and I feel that for the forseeable future this is where I want to be. If things dont work out (which I cant see happening) then I would still live in the DR and myself and my partner will still be friends.

Someone commented that I wouldnt listen to advice so i am wasting my/your time posting a thread....thats ok...why did you waste your time replying then??

A dominican receptionist can actually make money on tips.....you will find that in many hotels that there are many things going on that people dont know about....many backhanders etc.....typical domincan! I have a friend who made about 700 USD on tips in a month....this was down to room upgrades...and who says we are going to live in an expensive apartment? if you find one in a local area it can cost as little as 300 USD a month.

Lastly, people come on this site for genuine advice, maybe to find out things that they want to know before they go to the DR, some people who post on this site need to appreciate that they have went through some of the same situations and should offer friendly, helpful advice not derogatory comments, laughing at people etc etc.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I read on these forums about sankies and I worry like my family oeos that I am getting played. I g enuinly dont think I am, I just want to see what you guys opinions are to be honest,It would be nice to hear an outsiders point of view even if it may be harsh.......

You wanted honest replys. That is what you are getting.

What is this? A catch 22? You ask, we give.

Sorry you do not like some of the responses. I gave you a real nice response yet you come back with hostility.

Many of the posters gave you their honest opinion. Take it for what it is worth.

See, the poster that said you wont listen IS correct.

This one will be closed pretty soon.

jackichan

Bronze
Jun 23, 2011
It's a pool of skeptics giving relationship advice. Go for it girl. It's not the end of the world. There is a remedy to every problem, and if don't work out, chances are you will have had more experience and lived in a tropical paradise period.

I don't see why there is so much negativity in the air. People be throwing everything they can at you.

Bronxboy

Jul 11, 2007
I don't see why there is so much negativity in the air. People be throwing everything they can at you.

Again, I did not see many negative posts. Wear your glasses. If you dont have then get a prescription.

BigLongBeach

Feb 8, 2010
from the description lea doesnt really have roots outside of RD and moving to RD isnt a stretch. Her career isnt tied to location.

Not trying to be negative but another loser test in RD is.....
how old is he? does he still live with his parents? does he still aspire to go to school? Does he already have a family?

odds are if a older guy still lives with his parents, doesnt have a real career, hasnt started a family, and still has disolutions about going back to school he is loser. There are exceptions and that applies to the u.s. but that seems to be a typical profile of the male user/abusers in RD.

My advice is to keep having fun, dont fall into any of the testing games people here always talk about doing because it will only lead to disappointment, and keep living your life.

The best advice i ever got is 'si lo buscas, lo va encontrar'
After understanding that i was able to really enjoy that relationship, and relationships after that.

lea126

Jul 21, 2011
no there may not be as many rude comments....but read between the lines and the underlying sarcasm......bronxboy i appreciated your comments....it was genuinly good advice........i assked for advice, not sarcastic replies many thanks

Status
Not open for further replies.