Cabarete grocery shopping for meats???

Status
Not open for further replies.

pepsicruiser

Aug 14, 2011
Can anyone give me a good idea what it's like to purchase chicken/beef etc in Cabarete grocery stores? I heard Janets is good for groceries...is it also good for meats or do I have to travel further for them? ty

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Janet's has a good following...... so does Playero in Sosua as does City Market in Sosua...

Its been well discussed here if you search the supermarket names.....

Really.... how close are you and how far will you drive to save 20 pesos ??

Jan 17, 2009
Janet's is not good for beef. Chicken is okay. If you want beef, go to the butcher in the Callejon de la Loma (right next to the restaurant Locos d'Enfrente). Vegetables/fruits shop somewhere else. Janet's has hardly ever good vegetables and fruits -- once a week with a lot of luck but hard to tell which day.

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
Janet's is not good for beef. Chicken is okay. If you want beef, go to the butcher in the Callejon de la Loma (right next to the restaurant Locos d'Enfrente). Vegetables/fruits shop somewhere else. Janet's has hardly ever good vegetables and fruits -- once a week with a lot of luck but hard to tell which day.

Regarding beef, did you ever get a good steak from that butcher that you could put on the grill and enjoy?
If so, what was it called?

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
For me, just churrasco and even w/ it , I marinate it heavily.

Try Nacional in Santiago..... I have seen Angus beef there... never tried it.

Bob K

Silver
Aug 16, 2004
Our churrasco we get at la Sirena and is it Angus (imported). They also have improted Angus rib eye and NY strip. There is also a small butcher in Sosua on the main road near the bridge called Todo Carne. It has some of the best local meet around and the also have some imorted as well.

Bob K

Acira

Silver
Sep 20, 2009
www.blazingfuries.com

Can you give some more directions please? thx

Jan 17, 2009
Acira,

Callejon de la Loma is the street that starts right in front of Ocean Dream. This Swiss butcher place is right next to the restaurant Locos D'Enfrente by Bliss. Cabarete Maps by ActiveCabarete.com

Windeguy,

I make steaks from "filete". I also bought pork chops and they were excellent. I have to try their "faldilla" next; have not had much luck in finding it. Many restaurants in Cabarete buy from this butcher because his meats are aged.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Meat is always a problem in RD.....
we solved it this way from Serious Barbecue (courtesy of Ms Kaufmann)

ASian Pork Chops

Use those thin pork chops that are offered everywhere

MARINADE
1tblsp hot pepper flakes (boiled in a bit of water)
1/2 C soy sauce
1/4C fish sauce
1/4 c rice wine
1/4C sesame oil
1/4 C canola or vegetable oil
1/4C water
1/2C brown sugar
2tblsp each lemon juice and ginger
1 tblsp black pepper
8 cloves garlic finely chopped
1/2C scallions chopped (entero)

This is for 16 chops