Transport Between Sosua and STI Airport

Status
Not open for further replies.

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Evening all,
We will have a friend staying with us in October who, when he leaves will be flying out from Santiago airport at 17:45.
We are trying to plan an itinery to get him from Sosua to the airport and, on his instructions to do it "as cheap as possible", have decided on the Metro tours bus from Sosua to Santiago (we are not far from the terminus), then a taxi to the airport.
However, we are wondering what the Metro Bus travel time is between Sosua and the bus terminal in Santiago, and what the cost is? We think about an hour and 40 mins and about RDS$250 but are not sure.
What price should he be expected to pay for a taxi from the terminal to the airport and how long is the journey?
The metro schedule is
SOS
<table border="0" cellpadding="0" cellspacing="2" width="100%"><tbody><tr bgcolor="#73B08E"> <td width="23">
</td> <td width="159">POP/STGO/SDQ</td> <td width="80">8:20 A.M.</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#CDE2D7"> <td class="Estilob">
</td> <td class="Estilob">POP/STGO/SDQ</td> <td class="Estilob">10:20 A.M.</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#73B08E"> <td>
</td> <td>POP/STGO/SDQ</td> <td>1:20 P.M.</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#CDE2D7"> <td class="Estilob">
</td> <td class="Estilob">POP/STGO/SDQ</td> <td class="Estilob">3:20 P.M.</td> </tr> <tr bgcolor="#73B08E"> <td>
</td> <td>POP/STGO/SDQ</td> <td>5:20 P.M.</td></tr></tbody></table>so we're guessing that he needs to take the 13:20 departure to make it to the airport for a 17:45 departure.
He doesn't speak any Spanish so all information, especially the taxi cost will be a big help.
We have tried to search bar but can't seem to find the right info.
Thanks to all in advance.
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

Last edited:

Drro

Bronze
Mar 22, 2006
Figure two hours from the time the bus leaves (and they're pretty prompt) until you get off in Santiago. Rarely is it less.

jim15687

Apr 25, 2011
Also consider he will be dropped at the bus terminal not the airport which will require him getting a taxi and then giving directions to driver he wishes to go to airport. I traveled last September from Sosua right to airport STI for 80.00 US ,might be a few dollars more but at least you will have peace of mind knowing he gets to airport.Might even convince a local taxi driver from Sosua for you to ride along for company on the return trip

avi8or57

Nov 25, 2010
Better to consider the 10:20 bus and play it safe....

I agree, I'm not sure where the Metro drop-off (Terminal) is in Santiago, but if it's anywhere near Caribe Tours Terminal, then the 10:20 bus is the way to go due to the MAD traffic in the area and perhaps some taxi driver playing stupid on knowing how to get to the airport once they see him (Gringo)!!

edm7583

May 29, 2007
I've done Metro bus/taxi to get from Sosua to STI airport several times. It will be no less than than 2 hours on the bus. Most likely it will be a little more. The bus terminal is in Los Jardines in Santiago. (Caribe Tours has two terminals. One near the Las Colinas Mall and one right near the Metro Tours station in Los Jardines) The latter is on the other end of the city much loser to the airport than the Caribe tours station at Las Colinas. The taxi from the bus station to the airport is 500 pesos. There are few foreigners there so the drivers are most likely to be pretty honest (but are not likely to speak much English, if at all)

Last edited:

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Thanks to all for their replies,
It seems that the best bet for a "door to door" scenario without the 'gringo' hassles would be a taxi. Can anybody suggest a local (Sosua) taxi driver that they can trust, and have used before, to give us a reasonable price (one in which our friend is not ripped off) to provide the journey?
Cheers edm7583, how did you find the bus journey and your dealings with the Taxi driver from Los Jardines to the Airport - did you have to negotiate the price or was it fixed? Our friend is well travelled in the US but not at all in the DR and, as we have said, doesn't speak Spanish. We could always print him off some "idiot sheets" saying El Aeropuerto.. What do you think?
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
The best taxi in Sosua is my brother Elias, 809-842-5557. the fare is $100 to STI.
The Metro bus ride is not bad, the coaches are comfortable and high a/c. You would need to use the 1020 bus and a taxi once you arrive for 500 pesos. Not a stressful trip.

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Search 'Wilson'........ he seems to be well known, speaks English and is highly regarded by his DR1 supporters

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
Isn't there a phone number in there for him ??
Other than that, I don't know..... I just remember that he was really well rec'd by some recent posters here

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
The best taxi in Sosua is my brother Elias, 809-842-5557. the fare is $100 to STI.
The Metro bus ride is not bad, the coaches are comfortable and high a/c. You would need to use the 1020 bus and a taxi once you arrive for 500 pesos. Not a stressful trip.
That sounds a good (and fair price for both parties). Does Elias have an email address? If so please let me have it so I can set things up. If not, no problems, will ring him nearer the time to set things up.
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
You need to ring him, he's on the road so doesn't get to check the email often. His English is perfect and he has a nice minivan with great bucket seats.

jim15687

Apr 25, 2011
When I took taxi I asked front desk @ new garden to recomend one and price everything was set before I departed Sosua.You may wish to post date and flight info may get lucky and find another person to share the cab

augustus

Dec 19, 2007
When I took taxi I asked front desk @ new garden to recomend one and price everything was set before I departed Sosua.You may wish to post date and flight info may get lucky and find another person to share the cab

That's a good way to go, but the bus is very doable, try doing Punta Cana, with very little Spanish skills, which I have done often, with little or no Spanish........l

And use the savings to treat everybody to dinner............but a very easy trip.....:bunny::bunny::bunny:

Reidy620

Bronze
Mar 30, 2008
www.casaellie.com
Just a quick question - can a Metro Bus ticket to the Metro Tours station in Los Jardines be bought in advance or does it have to be bought on the day of travel.
Thanks
Tropical Regards
Ian & Ellie
anpalmisl.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.