Expired US Passport

Have a friend of mine who traveled to DR in July with her daughter for summer vacation, Daughters passport was expired when she left the USA but no one caught it at the airport in NY. The mother and 10 year old daughter attempt to leave last week and daughter is prohibited from leaving DR with the expired passport, Mom has to fly home for work and daughter stays in Santiago with family. My question is, Is it possible for the family to get this young ladies passport renewed in Santo Domingo without the mother being present? And if yes can it be expedited because this young lady needs to get back to NY to start school.

Hillbilly

Jan 1, 2002
I hate to dispute anything that Wud puts up on the board, but "I think" that if you filed a fake lost passport claim that would be like telling a lie to the Feds ...I think the pertinent statute is 1001: Supplying false information to a Federal agency.

Sh!t: They were dumb enough to not check their dates on their passports. Now they have to pay the price. EOS. Get the passport renewed.

And, JIC? There are a few embassy people that look at this site, so you might see a Memo floating around the embassy: Be on the lookout for a young person saying her passport was stolen....

HB

windeguy

Platinum
Jul 10, 2004
If a US citizen is flying back to the US on an expired passport, they will almost certainly let you into the country. They will certainly take you to the "back room" for questioning, but they should let you in. I would completely understand that since it is a child involved, that it would be better all around to have the passport renewed in Santo Domingo. By all means contact the authorities and verify what is possible.

jaiallen

Jul 9, 2010
Send the " Guardian " power of attorney to transact the passport business, then go to the Embassy for an Emergency travel document. Call or email first.