Troubles with Dominican Migration Authorities

Analex

Aug 22, 2011
Hello everyone!
I'm from France, and my husband is - of course! dominican! Ten days ago, we were travelling back to France when the Migration stopped my husband, and in an abusive papers control, made him loose his flight. They retained his french resident cards and license, saying they were false, and he finaly arrived yesterday in Paris, 9 days after.
I'm trying to make a report at the Dominican Consulate in France, so if you have any example of any kind of abuse, thanks to let me know, because dominican authorities are definitely too hard on the dominicans travelling abroad....
I don't know if it's possible to report to the Dominican Government? I want to avoid this kind of troubles next time, as a "revenge", because I'm sure my husband is now well known in the system....:paranoid:

Thanks for your help! And sorry for my poor english... :))

william webster

Platinum
Jan 16, 2009
I would use a lawyer..... not do it moi-meme.

I agree... you need a clean record for your husbands travel.
He is a French resident,,, will the French speak to the Dominicans about it?

He is a french resident being harassed by the Migracion.

Matilda

RIP Lindsay
Sep 13, 2006
I have known this happen a lot at las Americas airport. It happened to my Dominican husband the first time he flew to UK. They detained him and said his visa was false. It was quickly resolved with a payment of 50 or 100 US$ - I can't remember. It is not right at all, but if you don't pay they make you miss your flight and has happened to several first time Dominican fliers. He has flown to the UK since then - but it only happened the first time.

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
Hello everyone!
I'm from France, and my husband is - of course! dominican! Ten days ago, we were travelling back to France when the Migration stopped my husband, and in an abusive papers control, made him loose his flight. They retained his french resident cards and license, saying they were false, and he finaly arrived yesterday in Paris, 9 days after.
I'm trying to make a report at the Dominican Consulate in France, so if you have any example of any kind of abuse, thanks to let me know, because dominican authorities are definitely too hard on the dominicans travelling abroad....
I don't know if it's possible to report to the Dominican Government? I want to avoid this kind of troubles next time, as a "revenge", because I'm sure my husband is now well known in the system....:paranoid:

Thanks for your help! And sorry for my poor english... :))

Not sure, but wouldn't you better off reporting to the French consulate in the DR ?

Bonne chance :)

kimbjorkland

Apr 6, 2011
If you're talking about making complaints to a government office with the expectation of actually getting results, then yes, you definitely are French! :)

Analex

Aug 22, 2011
yes, definitely I'm French, and I don't want to consider this fact as normal! :nervous: and moreover I don't want to have problems another time...
I spoke to the French embassy in Santo Domingo, and they told me that as a foreign adinistration, they can't get involved in how the dominican authorities treat their own people. But they know it's quite "normal" over there...
I'm looking for a lawyer to help us, I only want to avoid new troubles next time... I know that I won't earn nothing, and that all we had to pay il lost... about 1500 euros for all....

Thank you for your answers, all of you! It's great to see that some people feel concerned!

Africaida

Gold
Jun 19, 2009
yes, definitely I'm French, and I don't want to consider this fact as normal! :nervous: and moreover I don't want to have problems another time...
I spoke to the French embassy in Santo Domingo, and they told me that as a foreign adinistration, they can't get involved in how the dominican authorities treat their own people. But they know it's quite "normal" over there...
I'm looking for a lawyer to help us, I only want to avoid new troubles next time... I know that I won't earn nothing, and that all we had to pay il lost... about 1500 euros for all....

Thank you for your answers, all of you! It's great to see that some people feel concerned!

What if it does the opposite and your husband is targeted next time ?

Would it be worth it if you only visit for vacations once a year ?

RV429

Bronze
Apr 3, 2011
Look at the problem this way. The amount of forged documents going to/from the DR is unbelievable. The DR authorities often can't really tell the good documents from the bad documents but by detaining some people who don't pass their sniff test (I call it that for lack of a better term) they often get forgers to confess.
You will get no help complaining to anyone.
Here's what you can do:
Always travel with him because they will be less likely to harass a foreigner. Have additional documents to support your claim of legitimacy like a French Drivers license or ID or such to go along with the passport, visa, etc. Make sure he looks the part of prosperity. Keep in mind that what happened to you was simple "profiling". Try to make him less of a target of profiling.
You aren't the first or last to be profiled leaving the DR.